Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Out of our Classic-Carriers shop in Seattle we will have available ( soon as the SKY hits the dealers) for the Saturn Sky a NO DRILLING REQUIRED Trunk Mounted Luggage Carrier in Mirror Polished 100% Stainless Steel made by Classic-Carriers in Europe.
The total weight of the basic SKY Luggage-Carrier, as installed, will be about 5 kg., with a German TUV Certified carrying capacity of about 25kg.

Our high quality Luggage Carriers for the Toy. MR2 & Mazda MX5 , for example, are among the best rated & best sold worldwide, same with the BMW Z3.

Our Sky Carrier will enable the driver/owner to transport Skis, Snowboards, Golf-Bags or Crates of Beverages, ( not all at once ofcourse ) when using the different sub-accessories needed for the different items.

After we have tested the carrier on a SKY, we might even add the ability carry 2 lightweight bikes.

Any feedback and or input on the issue of a Luggage Carrier for the Sky is most welcome.

Very soon we will post a picture on our websites:

Please visit either site before you respond, to get an idea what we will be bringing on the market as soon as the car is at the dealers.

Looking forward to hearing from all future SKY ownwners,

Best regards, Erik van Veenen ( ok2BOK )

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Hmmm.... Not sure how I feel about that. They look OK I guess and they are made for some of the more expensive cars. I think not for me! It is a roadster afterall. :lol:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I wonder where they tried one on a Sky, since they don;t even want most people sitting in one of the prototypes...

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Perhaps it was to check out the response.

·
Registered
328 Posts
That may go over with the Sol, because it looks more retro (classic) than the Sky. I could not see that on a Sky. :eek: IMHO

For example
, you will see luggage racks on some classic Corvette's, but not on a modern Corvette.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Lost Sol said:
That may go over with the Sol, because it looks more retro (classic) than the Sky. I could not see that on a Sky. :eek: IMHO

For example
, you will see luggage racks on some classic Corvette's, but not on a modern Corvette.
Early Corvettes did not have much of a trunk, Today's Corvettes have a good sized one.... maybe that is why...

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Just to let you know ok2BOK, you can get interest and do Q&A and various other product testing information from the forums for free. However if you want to sell your item through the forums, or promote your company you must first become a Supporting Vendor. To do so PM Troy Roberts about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rick112 said:
Hmmm.... Not sure how I feel about that. They look OK I guess and they are made for some of the more expensive cars. I think not for me! It is a roadster afterall. :lol:
I dont want to be condecending, but you're probably too young to know the classic definition of "Roadster" .
A true Roadster HAS, ( like the "Mothers-of-All-Roadsters, the MG-B & MG-A ) a Lugagge Carrier, for the long haul trips, shopping, picknicking etc.
Some guys on the Forum consider 100 miles a long haul, try a couple of thousand, or a week-end pick-nick, camping in a Roadster. You will wish you had a Luggage-Carrier.
Ever driven a Lotus-Elise ??, not even space for socks etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Carrier for the Solstice will be on the Market in January 06.
We actually used a Sol Trunklid to model the Sky Carrier on.
Both Lids are the same in the area we need it.
The people living in Hill-Snow areas will sooner or later want to head for the hills in their Sol or Sky and bring their own gear. (where ?, in their trunk,? on the back of their Sol or Sky on a Rack of sorts of course)
Even a Crate of Beer will go better on the Back.

·
Registered
76 Posts
eldeeko said:
So...Where is the one for the Solstice? It's been out long enough to be a candidate.
I was going to take a look at it but I don't see a link to their website.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I don't know about anybody else but I just can't picture carrying 2 bikes on the back of my Sky! Skis maybe but definitely not bikes.

·
Premium Member
2,302 Posts
I plan to keep my current car - with roof mounted bike rack - for hauling things for cycling. I would only be interested in a luggage rack on my SKY for those beautiful days I want to go on a road trip!

·
Registered
389 Posts
A luggage rack might come in handy but I would worry about it causing misalignment of the trunk lid. Albeit, the load is distributed differently on my bicycle carrier (straps to trunk lid 2 bikes carried on rear end), I have noticed that it has raised the back of my trunk lid on my SC2 from the weight of the bikes.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Another point to remember is the weight capacity that you can carry. You have the driver, passenger, trunk cargo and luggage rack and it's cargo not to exceed 353 lbs.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
ok2BOK said:
I dont want to be condecending, but you're probably too young to know the classic definition of "Roadster" .
LOL :lol: Thanks for that. How old do I have to be? 80? :lol: It'll be interesting to see a product like that on the Sky/Solstice. The metal on the deck is thin. I (I mean someone I know) was able to deflect the trunk deck while closing the trunk. It left a dent. And with the spoiler.... Hmmm... Not much room. I don't think it will look good with the humps and the OnStar antenna and the Spoiler.

I'd love to see pic's of a completed/installed product though.

·
Registered
76 Posts
rick112 said:
LOL :lol: Thanks for that. How old do I have to be? 80? :lol: It'll be interesting to see a product like that on the Sky/Solstice. The metal on the deck is thin. I (I mean someone I know) was able to deflect the trunk deck while closing the trunk. It left a dent. And with the spoiler.... Hmmm... Not much room. I don't think it will look good with the humps and the OnStar antenna and the Spoiler.

I'd love to see pic's of a completed/installed product though.
Yes if you try to close the rear deck by pushing on the hump they will bend! I always close it by only using the chrome trim that the butresses lock into. There have been so many people dent them.:eek:

·
Registered
326 Posts
ok2BOK said:
A true Roadster HAS, ( like the "Mothers-of-All-Roadsters, the MG-B & MG-A ) a Lugagge Carrier, for the long haul trips, shopping, picknicking etc.
Some guys on the Forum consider 100 miles a long haul, try a couple of thousand, or a week-end pick-nick, camping in a Roadster. You will wish you had a Luggage-Carrier.
Ever driven a Lotus-Elise ??, not even space for socks etc.
If this carrier can mount quickly on the back (with a Spoiler) without damage to the car, then remove and FOLD so it fits in the tiny trunk when unloaded, I'll get one for sure. Will be nice to throw a large waterproof duffle/suitcase on it for a weekend trip to the mountains when husband takes up the passenger seat. 2 pair of adult Hiking boots & hydra packs take up more room then most think they will.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts