Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, I've been planning on putting an ls1 in my rx7 for a while now. Ive been working on saving up enough to do the swap. the total cost of the ls1 swap will cost around $9,000.

The question I have is should I sell my truck and put the rx7 back to stock to and sell it too to go toward a redline? If I did that I would be about $9,000 from the cost of the redline. I realize that this forum may be a little bias, but I don't know as much about the sky as I do the rx7 and the ls1. both will be fast, both will handle well, and both look good. The rx7 will probably be faster at first, but both have great potential for high hp.

Thanks alot guys.

-John

·
Registered
325 Posts
I don't know, LS1 RX7s sure are cool! Most of the members here won't even know what an LS1 is other then Saturn's old Sedan.:D

I would go with the RX7, if it's a spotless car, if you know 100% what you're doing, and if you don't mind tracking down electrical gremlins and doing a bit fabrication. Do you have the harness and gauges all worked out and ready to go?

I would get the RedLine if i just wanted a new car and I didn't have to worry about it. The Redline won't be as fast but it sure is fun to have a roadster.

I see a good amount of LS1/6 RX7s on ebay fairly often. It's pretty easy to get one of those for a lot less then the money the guy put into it. Maybe sell the truck and the RX7, get a Sky now but later on down the road buy one that's already done for cheap. I've seen some really cheap LS1/6 S10s on ebay lately too.

I put a STS turbo kit on an RX7 and ended up tearing up the rear end, had to get a custom 9 inch built.

·
Registered
205 Posts
aight had nice post all setup but dumb internet died:brentil: anyways consider these few things. parts under warranty, less miles, new car smell, convertible. having 2 cars can be nice if something goes wrong with one although i think saturn gives u loaner? not sure but i'm thinking if you decide sell rx7 with ls1 you prob won't get all of what paid for it back.

·
Registered
205 Posts
also judging by your sig where says "alot of expensive crap that breaks all the time" that there would make me go for a newer vehicle

·
Registered
166 Posts
Sw0l3n4t0r said:
also judging by your sig where says "alot of expensive crap that breaks all the time" that there would make me go for a newer vehicle
If he mods the new vehicle (like I'm sure he will) it'll still have expensive crap that breaks all the time. It's a GM vehicle after all :lol:

·
Super Moderator
11,550 Posts
Inwo said:
If he mods the new vehicle (like I'm sure he will) it'll still have expensive crap that breaks all the time. It's a GM vehicle after all :lol:
Just depends on what you do and how you do it. Really though it comes down to what it is you want to get out of this. Personally, I had my primary car go down and wanted something fun but new. The baseline Sky was perfect since my other car is the fire breathing monster (shooting for 450 WHP). And now that I have the new car with the warranty and all that jazz if something breaks on the beast I still have a way of getting to work. :)

If you buy a new car and start putting heavy mods into it you're going to run into the same reliability issues. Doesn't matter who makes it, still turns into a money pit when you start tricking out any automobile.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the input guys, Most of the guess work is taken out of the ls1 swap thanks to brian hinson ( hinsonsupercars.com). If I do get the sky I will do some upgrades, just like if I get the Ls1 I will upgrade it as well. Both will be "stock" for a while though. In the case of the sky probably toward the end of its warranty. I guess Im looking for pro's and con's of both.

thanks again
-john

1 - 7 of 7 Posts