Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read this article over at SaturnFans.com, thought I'd share it with you...It's not much, but hopefully it's true! :)

Saturn Has Big Plans for NY Show
SaturnFans.com • March 7, 2006
More and more information is trickling in about Saturn's plans for the New York International Auto Show (NYIAS) next month. While Saturn has not officially announced whether or not it will have any debuts at the show, rumors suggest that Saturn will have three, yes three, never-before-seen vehicles on display. Sources tell SaturnFans.com that Saturn will unveil the 2007 AURA V6, Outlook, and SKY Red Line. Special events have reportedly been planned to showcase the new models in various venues around the city. More information will be posted at SaturnFans.com when it becomes available.

The New York show opens to the public on April 14th.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Yes! It should be an interesting show.:thumbs:

·
Registered
820 Posts
What date is this show going to be held on. I understand this may be commnon knownledge for some, but I do not keep up with the shows, I just enjoy them when I hear about them....:D

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,569 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
This would seem to match up with the rumor that they would begin testing in April on the redline......just putting together some rumors...

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,569 Posts
marlboromike said:
Guess who will be at the show...I even got free tickets...but not parking. That may hurt. I suggest, don't drive.
Or park in Weehawken and take the Waterway ferry over to Manhattan then the free Waterway bus to the Javits Center... :cheers:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
marlboromike said:
Guess who will be at the show...I even got free tickets...but not parking. That may hurt. I suggest, don't drive.
I'll have free tickets too. As for parking, I'll just take my brother with me again- he works for the Port Authority, so they'll let us park one the Javits grounds. Even when I'm not with him, I've never had a problem parking within a block on the street perpendicular to the front door (36th?). I love all the people who won't drive into the city- thanks to their absence it's really not that bad!

Anyone up for meeting at the show? Assuming I don't get my car that week, I'll probably get there Friday night the 14th around 7:00. I'll probably go one day over the second weekend too. Last year I went three times because I was so infatuated.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Nemesis said:
This would seem to match up with the rumor that they would begin testing in April on the redline......just putting together some rumors...
Where did that rumor come from?

·
Registered
820 Posts
brentil said:
Where did that rumor come from?
It came from Saturnfans.com. Someone on this forum made a hyperlink to the annoucement. It was posted on their site as a news item rather then just a topic. It also suggested that the RL would be available for deliver in late summer. I think the RL will be available for order late summer, but not delivery.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Nemesis said:
It came from Saturnfans.com. Someone on this forum made a hyperlink to the annoucement. It was posted on their site as a news item rather then just a topic. It also suggested that the RL would be available for deliver in late summer. I think the RL will be available for order late summer, but not delivery.
I'd buy that for a dollar...

GM has been testing the kappa turbo for some time now. At least since September:
http://www.motortrend.com/future/spied/112_0511_pontiac_turbo_solstice/
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=107291

I also am certain that you don't just put together a car and fly it to the Nurburgring and drive it like a rental car... it takes several weeks to months to prepare a car to survive the Nurburgring. So, for them to be running in September of 2005 in Germany, they had to have turbos since at least July, and prolly earlier...

·
Registered
820 Posts
....I also am certain that you don't just put together a car and fly it to the Nurburgring and drive it like a rental car... it takes several weeks to months to prepare a car to survive the Nurburgring. So, for them to be running in September of 2005 in Germany, they had to have turbos since at least July, and prolly earlier...
So do you think it could be ready earlier? I still think that even if the RL was street ready and approved right this minute, GM would have it sitting in the warehouse for awhile because they don't want to water down the exitement for the base version. Based on your info and the rumor that the RL will be at the NY show in April, I would assume that they could be ready for delivery in late summer. But I think that it would be odd for Pontiac to announce the GXP before the RL, then the RL to be delivered before the GXP. I'm still betting that it will show at the New York Auto Show in April, then be ready for order in mid to late summer, then first deliveries will be around Aug/Sept this year. Kappa, what are your feelings?

By the way...I had no idea they were testing on in Nurburg, thats awesome. Were they just testing the turbo or different engines, or did they test the chasis as well? Nurburg is a rough pavement track with many curves and bumps. I don't think they actually race there anymore, but automakers and hobbiest love the natural feel of the track over the smooth pavement and predictable lines of most new tracks.:thumbs:

·
Registered
623 Posts
Opel GT release is "Spring of 07" Solstice GXP release is August 06, I don't see them releasing the Redline until next year as an '08 model. I don't buy a release in August even if they announce the car at New York. This talk of the car being here in August is wishful thinking.

Some guy on Saturn Fans claims his dealer (in Canada) says it's coming out in August. Personally I think that's some dealer BS, so I whipped out my salt ring of protection to fend him off.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
DuSpinnst said:
Some guy on Saturn Fans claims his dealer (in Canada) says it's coming out in August. Personally I think that's some dealer BS, so I whipped out my salt ring of protection to fend him off.
I have concluded that most Canadian Salesguys (except me) are idiots. Yesterday I called Saturn Saab of Calgary and pretended I was a customer. The salesguy assured me that they would have their first sky on Monday.

I told him he was an idiot, then he asked me for a credit card deposit...ha ha ha

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nemesis said:
By the way...I had no idea they were testing on in Nurburg, thats awesome. Were they just testing the turbo or different engines, or did they test the chasis as well? Nurburg is a rough pavement track with many curves and bumps. I don't think they actually race there anymore, but automakers and hobbiest love the natural feel of the track over the smooth pavement and predictable lines of most new tracks.:thumbs:
The Nurburg has become GM'S new global playground of choice. Amongst others, the Saturn Redline Coupe was tested there 2 years ago before it was released and that is it's major advantage over other small "boosted" cars. It can fly in a straight line, and bury most V8's in the corners.

note to General Motors: I understand that track testing in Germany is a long and weary process, therefore I will take one for the team and sign up for future product testing there! :lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts