Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As winter nears I'm tearing things apart again. For a myriad of reasons.

#1 I'm tracking down 2 oil leaks
  • so far I believe the front one to either be the front cover, turbo drain, or catch can connection
  • I believe the back oil leak to be either the oil filter lid, oil cooler, or rear main seal.

#2 I'm replacing the radiator, intercooler, and fuel injectors with bigger/ better versions.

#3 I'm putting an RK Sport hood on

#4 I'm going to attempt to wrap the car

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Auto part Metal

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Hood Automotive fuel system

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Hi squilliam, If you find your brand new valve cover gasket is leaking, I advise to replace the gasket again, this time adding dabs of gasket maker on BOTH SIDES of the gasket in the areas indicated. Immediately install the valve cover after applying the gasket maker, then let sit overnight before starting the engine.
Musical instrument Blue Font Automotive exterior Gas

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi squilliam, If you find your brand new valve cover gasket is leaking, I advise to replace the gasket again, this time adding dabs of gasket maker on BOTH SIDES of the gasket in the areas indicated. Immediately install the valve cover after applying the gasket maker, then let sit overnight before starting the engine.
View attachment 117709
I'm putting in all new coil packs, and the gasket is like $17, so I see no harm in that!
I need to spend another hour looking at exactly where the oil is coming from.
I'll be sure to take pics too.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good luck with the RK hood. They are notorious for taking a lot of effort to make them fit. that is why I went with Norms GTO hood.

Nice list of upgrades

I have a partial wrap, graphics and text, on both my trucks. It turned out great and is lasting very well
I hear that a lot. Since it was only $800, I don't mind paying a local shop a little bit to make sure it fits the bill.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I figured you would be unpacking after your move not tearing down your car again. lol

Good luck finding the leaks, hopefully they aren't too invasive and can be remedied easily. I'm interested to see how that wrap turns out though. The good news is you are starting with a black base so your door jambs won't look weird after the wrap. I've seen some really nice wrapped cars to find out the original color was a very different clashing color and totally ruined the wrap job IMO after opening the door.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I figured you would be unpacking after your move not tearing down your car again. lol

Good luck finding the leaks, hopefully they aren't too invasive and can be remedied easily. I'm interested to see how that wrap turns out though. The good news is you are starting with a black base so your door jambs won't look weird after the wrap. I've seen some really nice wrapped cars to find out the original color was a very different clashing color and totally ruined the wrap job IMO after opening the door.
We're already unpacked haha. I'm trying to take advantage of the good weather while it lasts (68 today in Colorado Springs!).

I bought a heater system to keep me toasty
Luggage and bags Bag Wood Market Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
175 Posts
We're already unpacked haha. I'm trying to take advantage of the good weather while it lasts (68 today in Colorado Springs!).

I bought a heater system to keep me toasty
Squilliam, please buy yourself a carbon monoxide detector also! With a ventless heater like that in what looks like a one stall garage we would rather not see a for sale post from your wife because you died of carbon monoxide poisoning!

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Hickhaven makes an excellent point. That heater in a closed-up room can easily cause death. Those are meant for well ventilated conditions which of coarse renders them partially effective. Same technology, same rules, same precautions with a typical patio heater, hence they are exclusively used outdoors.
Plant Street light Flowerpot Lighting Outdoor furniture

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Squilliam, please buy yourself a carbon monoxide detector also! With a ventless heater like that in what looks like a one stall garage we would rather not see a for sale post from your wife because you died of carbon monoxide poisoning!
I appreciate the concern!
The roof of the garage is connected to the 7 other garages, and I leave the door cracked open half way. We're all good bruv!

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I plan on getting the remote tune from ZZP. Has anyone on here had experience with them?

RPM Motorsports was very much a canned tune. Martin is very nice, and all of my interactions have been pleasant, but I didn't really get the feel that the tune was specific to my car.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I plan on getting the remote tune from ZZP. Has anyone on here had experience with them?

RPM Motorsports was very much a canned tune. Martin is very nice, and all of my interactions have been pleasant, but I didn't really get the feel that the tune was specific to my car.
I wasn’t even aware they offered a remote tune. I got the canned tune from ZZP and overall was very happy with it. I’ve since added DDM charge pipes and GMPP intake, but I honestly don’t know if those make enough of a difference for a re-tune. I may be interested in their remote tune also though now that I hear they offer it.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wasn’t even aware they offered a remote tune. I got the canned tune from ZZP and overall was very happy with it. I’ve since added DDM charge pipes and GMPP intake, but I honestly don’t know if those make enough of a difference for a re-tune. I may be interested in their remote tune also though now that I hear they offer it.
They are big proponents of revisions, and explicitly state they don't like it when customers run just the canned tune. They said on a recent podcast a lot of customers forget to send the data logs. Maybe you actually are entitled to some revisions, and didn't realize it.

·
Registered
994 Posts
They are big proponents of revisions, and explicitly state they don't like it when customers run just the canned tune. They said on a recent podcast a lot of customers forget to send the data logs. Maybe you actually are entitled to some revisions, and didn't realize it.
I imagine they would be proponents of revisions. After all that would be repeat business for them. I imagine body shops are proponents of increased speed limits and driving at night in the same way.

When I had my tune done, I checked a bunch of boxes on their website for what I had and what I wanted and sent them my ECM. Took about a week turn around time to get it back and everything was done. It was like $200, I don’t imagine there were any revisions with that package. It was similar to choosing the Trifecta basic tune. There wasn’t any data pulls made.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I imagine they would be proponents of revisions. After all that would be repeat business for them. I imagine body shops are proponents of increased speed limits and driving at night in the same way.

When I had my tune done, I checked a bunch of boxes on their website for what I had and what I wanted and sent them my ECM. Took about a week turn around time to get it back and everything was done. It was like $200, I don’t imagine there were any revisions with that package. It was similar to choosing the Trifecta basic tune. There wasn’t any data pulls made.
Revisions are included in the cost. They do not cost extra at ZZP.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's my progress so far:
Automotive tire Car Tire Hood Vehicle

The front oil leak is a lot more extensive than I originally thought. I took out each of the front timing cover bolts, and added thread locker. One of the water pump cover bolts was super loose........

I've gotten 1.5/2 oil cooler bolts out. It's so hard to reach the 2nd one.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Here's my progress so far:
View attachment 117853

The front oil leak is a lot more extensive than I originally thought. I took out each of the front timing cover bolts, and added thread locker. One of the water pump cover bolts was super loose........

I've gotten 1.5/2 oil cooler bolts out. It's so hard to reach the 2nd one.
When you originally replaced the bolts, did you tighten them to specs? Also check it there was a tightening sequence that was to be followed. If so, you might want to use a different torque wrench.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When you originally replaced the bolts, did you tighten them to specs? Also check it there was a tightening sequence that was to be followed. If so, you might want to use a different torque wrench.
I honestly think I forgot to tighten one of the bolts.
I just can't confidently say it is the cause of all of the crud found all over the front.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here's a picture of my first attempt at wrapping it. It's called Nardo Grey. I may end up hiring a shop to do it... I'll still try though. Our cars have a lot of complex curves.

Product Automotive design Textile Netbook Grey

1 - 20 of 164 Posts