Saturn Sky Forum banner
21 - 40 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I honestly think I forgot to tighten one of the bolts.
I just can't confidently say it is the cause of all of the crud found all over the front.
The pictures don't show all the crud you describe. Did you clean it off before taking the pictures?

My base Sky has a lot of crud on the front of the engine. Much of it is old serpentine belt material that stuck on an oily surface. I cleaned the engine compartment but I could not comfortably get the washer-wand in that area. The worst (maybe all) of the crud formed from a leaking valve cover gasket that I have since replaced. I am leaving the crud alone for now. Maybe one day a repair like a water pump for example, will improve access to the area for a better cleaning. But I am surely leaving well enough alone for now because everything is working fine and my garage floor remains dry.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The pictures don't show all the crud you describe. Did you clean it off before taking the pictures?

My base Sky has a lot of crud on the front of the engine. Much of it is old serpentine belt material that stuck on an oily surface. I cleaned the engine compartment but I could not comfortably get the washer-wand in that area. The worst (maybe all) of the crud formed from a leaking valve cover gasket that I have since replaced. I am leaving the crud alone for now. Maybe one day a repair like a water pump for example, will improve access to the area for a better cleaning. But I am surely leaving well enough alone for now because everything is working fine and my garage floor remains dry.
I cleaned off a good deal of it. Didn't have the presence of mind to take a photo first. These pictures show about 50% of the crud.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Additionally, since I'm doing the power steering reservoir and relocation kit, power steering pumps are only $51, so I bought a new one just in case. I already have the belt, pulleys, and whatnot out of the way

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Additionally, since I'm doing the power steering reservoir and relocation kit, power steering pumps are only $51, so I bought a new one just in case. I already have the belt, pulleys, and whatnot out of the way
Make sure you use some good fluid like Redline synthetic, it'll stop the pump from whining under heavy load.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Long time, no update...

Spent a chunk of time in the garage this weekend.

First, I finished up the wheel project:
Automotive tire Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Got a quote for a radio update/ install:
Handwriting Font Material property Parallel Paper

That price does not include the cost of the head unit :ROFLMAO::oops:

Installed the new power steering pump (remember to bolt it in before putting the pulley on folks...)
Musical instrument Guitar accessory Asphalt Automotive tire Road surface

Replaced the O-rings and rebolted the oil cooler on (my least favorite thing I've done on this car EVER). It almost certainly is a rear main seal at this point btw. Even though the oil has been drained for a month, a very slow leak seems to be coming from the engine/transmission seam.

Started the turbo pull off (replacing most hoses/ lines/ gaskets).
Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

A week or two ago I put in the new Opel injectors too (No pictures, sorry)!

P.S. - STORY TIME:
I have started making significantly more money at my job, so I decided to redo the suspension as well. I ordered end links, tie rods, shocks, and stiffer sway bars from different companies (may waste the unecessary $800 to buy all 8 control arms... Just to get friggin control arm bushings)...

Most of this was to come from Rock Auto...

I got a box in the mail that was rather short for having shocks in it...
Product Shipping box Packing materials Material property Gas

Some likely newbie at Rock Auto switched my packing slip and shipping label with some guy who ordered a buncha transmission parts. I've since returned the transmission parts and gotten the suspension parts from them.

Oooohhh P.S. - I bought a new tool bench/cart:
Wood Gas Engineering Machine Electric blue

P.S. #3:
The RK Sport hood I ordered through PAW arrived at the body shop near me. The owner declined the delivery, as he stated the box and the hood were severely damaged. The last I heard the hood was arriving back at RK Sport and a replacement would be sent soon... Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Bro, with all the mechanical work you've done to the car you certainly can handle a stereo and speaker install. Please do not pay $1,500 for that work.

The steering wheel looks great btw. I didn't think I would like it as much as I do when you first described it.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Bro, with all the mechanical work you've done to the car you certainly can handle a stereo and speaker install. Please do not pay $1,500 for that work.

The steering wheel looks great btw. I didn't think I would like it as much as I do when you first described it.
Much appreciated mate. I can definitely handle the speaker and rear camera install. I will try the stereo install, but don't have faith. One thing I will likely leave to the pros is that, because retaining steering wheel control is important to me. My understanding is that one is hard to get right.

Also, suspension. I will not be stepping anywhere near messing with shocks/springs. No widowmakers a for me.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
The whole deal with the radio install is getting the Correct components. You can even have Crutchfield wire the steering wheel control components to the radio so it’s all just plug and play when you get it from them. I can’t remember what the charges I think it’s somewhere around 20 or $30 more. car toys will rape you and your wallet.

This is what I went with because I did not want on star.

head unit

Dash install kit

antenna adapter

Interface module

backup camera

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
The whole deal with the radio install is getting the Correct components. You can even have Crutchfield wire the steering wheel control components to the radio so it’s all just plug and play when you get it from them. I can’t remember what the charges I think it’s somewhere around 20 or $30 more. car toys will rape you and your wallet.

This is what I went with because I did not want on star.

head unit

Dash install kit

antenna adapter

Interface module

backup camera
I appreciate it!
One of the problems is that I'm going with a high end Sony receiver, which Crutchfield says won't work in the Sky, but Car Toys installers say they can get to work no problem.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Much appreciated mate. I can definitely handle the speaker and rear camera install. I will try the stereo install, but don't have faith. One thing I will likely leave to the pros is that, because retaining steering wheel control is important to me. My understanding is that one is hard to get right.

Also, suspension. I will not be stepping anywhere near messing with shocks/springs. No widowmakers a for me.
It's honestly fairly easy. I've swapped plenty of stereos over the years since high school. It's essentially just matching up the colors of the wires. The SWCs are easy if you buy a SWC module and a name brand HU. My issue with getting the SWCs to work was I went with an off brand ATOTO instead of an Alpine, Sony, Pioneer, Etc. The hardest part is tearing the dash apart to get to the stereo and routing the wires for the backup camera. I'm probably going to replace it with a brand name though as I'm not super happy with the lag it has with Carplay. I don't have the same issue with my factory head units on my other cars so I'm hoping buying a name brand unit like Pioneer would fix that issue.

As far as the shocks I haven't done mine yet, but I have all four of them in the box on my shelf. I'm only 65k miles at the moment and I don't really think I need to replace them just yet, but I got a good price on them from another owner off of FB. When it's time it shouldn't be too difficult if you rent a spring compressor that is designed for springs and not just a clamp. Those are what usually cause troubles, but I still understand the hesitations. Considering you have now done some of the hardest mechanical work there is on our cars I wouldn't be too concerned with the stereo or the shocks. Take your time, watch a YouTube video or two, and you should be good to go.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
I appreciate it!
One of the problems is that I'm going with a high end Sony receiver, which Crutchfield says won't work in the Sky, but Car Toys installers say they can get to work no problem.
What I found was not all the radios fit because of depth issues. Yes you can make them fit. They will either stick out or not sit flush like the factory. You might want to ask them about if they are going to hack the duct work to get it to sit flush.

be careful my friend and ask a lot of questions. Crutchfield has worked on all of the vehicles that they give advice on unlike cartoys. As you know once our parts are needs up they are hard to replace.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
It's honestly fairly easy. I've swapped plenty of stereos over the years since high school. It's essentially just matching up the colors of the wires. The SWCs are easy if you buy a SWC module and a name brand HU. My issue with getting the SWCs to work was I went with an off brand ATOTO instead of an Alpine, Sony, Pioneer, Etc. The hardest part is tearing the dash apart to get to the stereo and routing the wires for the backup camera. I'm probably going to replace it with a brand name though as I'm not super happy with the lag it has with Carplay. I don't have the same issue with my factory head units on my other cars so I'm hoping buying a name brand unit like Pioneer would fix that issue.

As far as the shocks I haven't done mine yet, but I have all four of them in the box on my shelf. I'm only 65k miles at the moment and I don't really think I need to replace them just yet, but I got a good price on them from another owner off of FB. When it's time it shouldn't be too difficult if you rent a spring compressor that is designed for springs and not just a clamp. Those are what usually cause troubles, but I still understand the hesitations. Considering you have now done some of the hardest mechanical work there is on our cars I wouldn't be too concerned with the stereo or the shocks. Take your time, watch a YouTube video or two, and you should be good to go.
I appreciate your kind words and encouragement. Thanks man!

I will definitely give it a shot. They also mentioned that there is a patch through for our OEM amp and subwoofer. I'm not sure what getting that on my own looks like.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
What I found was not all the radios fit because of depth issues. Yes you can make them fit. They will either stick out or not sit flush like the factory. You might want to ask them about if they are going to hack the duct work to get it to sit flush.

be careful my friend and ask a lot of questions. Crutchfield has worked on all of the vehicles that they give advice on unlike cartoys. As you know once our parts are needs up they are hard to replace.
That makes sense as to why they'd say it doesn't fit. I'm okay if it isn't flush. The screen will stick out anyhow. This is what I'm looking at:

·
Registered
790 Posts
I just enlarged your quote to see which location you went to. I have relatives that have used the Fort Collins location in the past and weren’t happy with the results or how they were treated afterwords. Not personally knowing the location you might be using, I’d recommend a BBB check or even checking online reviews first.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
That makes sense as to why they'd say it doesn't fit. I'm okay if it isn't flush. The screen will stick out anyhow. This is what I'm looking at:

They Probably don’t recommend it because it covers the controls. You will need the double din to single din adapter instead. Everything else should be the same.

21 - 40 of 107 Posts