Saturn Sky Forum banner
61 - 80 of 107 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Brief update!

Installed the water pump heat shield as made by Tim Ronak.
Motor vehicle Bumper Machine tool Automotive exterior Automotive tire

A view of the apartment garage space I've been working out of until we find a house that isn't super overpriced.
Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Engineering

Valve cover off in preparation for swapping in the bigger intake cam. I plan on going slow with this, since I could easily goof up the timing.
Engineering Facade City Machine Font

I'm redoing the catch can from RPM. I took a bunch of pictures for reference to figure out fittings. It was dry/empty when I took it off, which means vapor wasn't getting to it.
Liquid Fluid Gas Water Auto part

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Nice new head! I remember when you replaced it last year.

Here is my original 2.4L head with 121,000 miles of use. At least there was no built-up crud on the head. It was just stained honey-colored and I left it that way.
Circuit component Audio equipment Electronic component Electronic instrument Electronic engineering

I did have some crud built-up on the valve cover itself but I cleaned it off.
Maybe you recall, I had my valve cover off to replace the original dry brittle leaking gasket. Oil was leaking outside on the engine and filling the spark plug cavity, second from left.
Motor vehicle Musical instrument Automotive exterior Rectangle Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Nice new head! I remember when you replaced it last year.

Here is my original 2.4L head with 121,000 miles of use. At least there was no built-up crud on the head. It was just stained honey-colored and I left it that way.
View attachment 118277
I did have some crud built-up on the valve cover itself but I cleaned it off.
Maybe you recall, I had my valve cover off to replace the original dry brittle leaking gasket. Oil was leaking outside on the engine and filling the spark plug cavity, second from left.
View attachment 118278
I do remember that!
In the picture I shared a bit ago, I noticed oil lines along the gasket surface. I'm wondering how worried I should be about that... No oil in the spark plug spots though!

The screws were torqued down pretty good.
I might use gasket maker in addition to the new valve cover gasket.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I noticed oil lines along the gasket surface.
If you did not do this last time, be sure to add a dab of gasket maker where the rubber gasket makes a turn in the "Z" axis in the areas shown. Apply it between the head and gasket, and between the valve cover and gasket. Oil always leaks in these areas, both on the valve cover and the oil pan, regardless of vehicle.
Musical instrument Blue Font Automotive exterior Gas

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Don't look so disappointed! LOL
Looool. I'm typically a pretty reserved dude emotionally, but this stuff makes me super happy.

Syphoning out the premium gas today, as I prep for e85! Spoke with ZZP customer service today, and our cars do not need an ethanol sensor. It either runs premium or e85. There is no in-between.

Watch Hand Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
863 Posts
WHOA. How? Where are they based? Where was the damage? The body shop told me the box was in rough shape and the hood had bad damage.
They’re based now just north of Austin, TX. Just about an hour from my house south of Austin. I honestly didn’t even know that until I showed up to buy a NOS exhaust from them they posted on marketplace. It was a pretty interesting experience and I spent a while talking with their director of sales who had sold me the exhaust. We told me all about their operation and we talked cars for a bit. I noticed the hood sitting in their loading dock and he explained it was a return that was damaged during shipment and they had just sent out the replacement. It was damaged along the windshield cowl edge in multiple spots. It wasn’t catastrophic, but it would of required some considerable body work to fix.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Brief update!

Installed the water pump heat shield as made by Tim Ronak.
View attachment 118270

A view of the apartment garage space I've been working out of until we find a house that isn't super overpriced.
View attachment 118271

Valve cover off in preparation for swapping in the bigger intake cam. I plan on going slow with this, since I could easily goof up the timing.
View attachment 118272

I'm redoing the catch can from RPM. I took a bunch of pictures for reference to figure out fittings. It was dry/empty when I took it off, which means vapor wasn't getting to it.
View attachment 118274
[URL
Handwriting Font Parallel Rectangle Diagram

unfurl="true"]https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/ss-.../looking-how-changing-pcv-valve-hhr-ss-47584/[/URL]

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Thank you for that.

PCV: I plan on working on both PCV systems today. RPM states their 2nd input line taps into the waterpump cover plate. Does anyone have more information on that?

Suspension: Dave of PAW is going to let me know when the sway bars are back in stock. I'm trying to do new everything. I just knabbed the driver's side control arms front and rear from Kappa Haus. I know where to get the passenger front, but can't find the passenger rear ANYWHERE. Anyone know where I can find new ones?

Fuel: I plan on finally doing the intake cam this weekend. I've been sick, it's been cold, and I'm a little afraid of doing it to be honest.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
I replaced the intake cam with the ZZP big fuel lobe intake cam today... I need help...

I had to remove the timing tensioner to get the cam phaser back on. I'm not worried about timing overall, but I am worried about the tensioner. I was unable to reset it. I can't get the snap ring out to reset it. I've tried... A lot... So I tried putting it back in without resetting it. It went in perfectly fine. I can rotate the engine just fine. Everything seems... Fine.

Is this kosher? Have I broken some unwritten rule with a chain tensioner? I replaced the tensioner 2,000 miles ago when I did the timing chain replacement. Am I good to go, or do I need to take it out and put a new one on?

Automotive tire Vehicle brake Engineering Machine Differential

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Okay, Will is stupid time...

I have the RPM catch can:
  • The left port is listed as IN (pic shows coming from valve cover to catch can).
  • The middle port is listed as OUT (pic shows coming from catch can going to oil connector on turbo)
  • The right port is listed as IN (not shown in pic, but their website states it goes from the waterpump window cover [likely a drilled hole in the cover] to the catch can)

Can someone verify this is correct?

Hood Blue Motor vehicle Rim Automotive design

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
It you look at the inside of the turbo inlet tube you will see that the vent intake points towards the filter so it will scoop air in and not towards the turbo where it would draw vacuum.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
It you look at the inside of the turbo inlet tube you will see that the vent intake points towards the filter so it will scoop air in and not towards the turbo where it would draw vacuum.
It may be because I just woke up, but I'm confused.
Are you confirming that the catch can exhaust should go to the turbo?

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
I think I'm getting caught up on the air being fed to the turbo...
But I think that makes sense. It's cleaning the valve cover air before going into the turbo.

I wish they had images for the 3rd line, but here's the description:

"Upgrade for a 2nd in Port that allows you to further vent your motor on higher horsepower builds (Includes additional Line and fittings with a Water Pump Inspection plate fitted with a -6 AN Fitting"

Blue Automotive tire Gas Electrical wiring Rim

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Auto part Rim

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Oh my Lord. Tomato Soup is a savior again...

@Super Serg @sahein

Now if anyone could comment on the timing chain tensioner, I'd love input.

61 - 80 of 107 Posts