Saturn Sky Forum banner
81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Just finished retiming the engine per Kgschloser's recommendation on the Solstice forum.

As I look ahead... I bought a metal radiator return pipe from RPM Motorsports with the coolant temperature relocation. It didn't come with a temp sensor like the listing said, and Martin isn't getting back to me about him sending one (I think I'm done buying from RPM)... So I need to source one. Any recommendations on which one I should get?

Blue Font Rectangle Screenshot Technology

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Hmmm...
I cracked mine, needed to it a new one, and this is the one that was recommended to me by WholesaleGMPartsOnline.com (hope I got the right one).

·
Registered
863 Posts
Hmmm...
I cracked mine, needed to it a new one, and this is the one that was recommended to me by WholesaleGMPartsOnline.com (hope I got the right one).

[/URL]
Now you have me second guessing my sensor. 😬

I got the part number from one of the FB groups from one of the more reliable sources. Now, looking at Rockauto the one I listed shows it is for the 2.4L. I haven’t had any issues with it though. I wonder what the differences between the two are.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Dear Colorado,

Can it stop being 4 degrees or a ton of snow outside? I'd like to work on my car...

Thanks,
Will

P.S. -
I bought someone's used K04 turbo with 22k miles on the clock. The turbine has a lot less jiggles, and mine had formed a second crack leading to the regular one. I'd rather replace it than explode things.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Personal protective equipment

My guage cluster replacement thing arrived after a few months of waiting:
Gauge Measuring instrument Gas Auto part Temperature

·
Registered
863 Posts
Dear Colorado,

Can it stop being 4 degrees or a ton of snow outside? I'd like to work on my car...

Thanks,
Will

P.S. -
I bought someone's used K04 turbo with 22k miles on the clock. The turbine has a lot less jiggles, and mine had formed a second crack leading to the regular one. I'd rather replace it than explode things.
View attachment 118670

My guage cluster replacement thing arrived after a few months of waiting:
View attachment 118671
You may have an issue with that gauge cluster. You have a redline and that’s a base gauge cluster. Did they send you the wrong one?

The tach I believe is the same other than the redline indication at 6500 vs 7000, but the speedometer will be off. RL speedometers are to 160 so you would be traveling faster than what that gauge would indicate.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
You never shoulda said it .....
I AM CURSED. I DID IT TO MYSELF.

You may have an issue with that gauge cluster. You have a redline and that’s a base gauge cluster. Did they send you the wrong one?

The tach I believe is the same other than the redline indication at 6500 vs 7000, but the speedometer will be off. RL speedometers are to 160 so you would be traveling faster than what that gauge would indicate.
I bought it from Black Cat Custom Automotive - Saturn Sky Gauge Face - LED Lighting Kit
It didn't say anything about Redline vs. Base...

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
BlackCatCustom modified one of their existing Sky gauge face templates for me and my 2.4L. They did a great job, following my instruction perfectly. They had me approve it before making it. I recall it costing me $135.

In my case, I wanted the least amount of glare possible considering the change to a bright LED back-lighting, so I removed kilometers, the word SKY, the x1000 on the tach, and the 1/4 1/2 3/4 on the fuel gauge. Per my request, he also went with the aqua lens for the odometer, done to match my daylight LED interior lighting conversion.
Speedometer Odometer Tachometer Trip computer Plant

I did the radio to match the odometer.
Vehicle Speedometer Car Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

All done to match the daylight LED interior conversion. The only lighting remaining original dark orange are the steering wheel controls. The radio buttons, door panel controls, fog light, HVAC pod, mirror down-lighting, added floor & glove box lighting, all are daylight LED, a beautiful match to the navy blue metallic exterior. It looks exceptional at night, especially under the street lights.
Speedometer Vehicle Gear shift Car Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
You have to select the 160mph gauge. I’m pretty sure that one won’t work for your RL.
View attachment 118678
BlackCatCustom modified one of their existing Sky gauge face templates for me and my 2.4L. They did a great job, following my instruction perfectly. They had me approve it before making it. I recall it costing me $135.

In my case, I wanted the least amount of glare possible considering the change to a bright LED back-lighting, so I removed kilometers, the word SKY, the x1000 on the tach, and the 1/4 1/2 3/4 on the fuel gauge. Per my request, he also went with the aqua lens for the odometer, done to match my daylight LED interior lighting conversion.
View attachment 118684
I did the radio to match the odometer.
View attachment 118685
All done to match the daylight LED interior conversion. The only lighting remaining original dark orange are the steering wheel controls. The radio buttons, door panel controls, fog light, HVAC pod, mirror down-lighting, added floor & glove box lighting, all are daylight LED, a beautiful match to the navy blue metallic exterior. It looks exceptional at night, especially under the street lights.
View attachment 118686
Steve you're absolutely right. I have the wrong one. It's very frustrating as a customer. Their website doesn't say "if you have a base, get the 140. If you have a Redline, get the 160."
I'm absolutely frustrated.

RJ, you're the guy that sold me on the mod. I was so excited. It looks fantastic on your Sky.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Steve you're absolutely right. I have the wrong one. It's very frustrating as a customer. Their website doesn't say "if you have a base, get the 140. If you have a Redline, get the 160."
I'm absolutely frustrated.

RJ, you're the guy that sold me on the mod. I was so excited. It looks fantastic on your Sky.
Sorry to bring the bad news, especially since you’ve waited months. I only knew the difference because I’ve been looking at them as well. Good news is it should be fairly easy to sell it here on the forum to a base owner. Maybe the next one won’t take as long.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Sorry to bring the bad news, especially since you’ve waited months. I only knew the difference because I’ve been looking at them as well. Good news is it should be fairly easy to sell it here on the forum to a base owner. Maybe the next one won’t take as long.
I'm in contact with Black Cat Customs. I'm going to try and get them to swap it for the right one since they don't list the difference on their website. I'll report back!

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
I spoke with Black Cat Customs, and mailed the dash kit back to them.
They will be sending me the correct one.

I recommended that they note on the website what each one is specifically for.

Back to the build!

I did leak testing and did a visual inspection of the cylinders. All seems to look good!

Watch Motor vehicle Clock Gauge Measuring instrument

Liquid Fluid Automotive lighting Circle Metal

Automotive tire Gauge Motor vehicle Measuring instrument Gas

Ice cube Liquid Fluid Melting Water

Watch Product Clock Measuring instrument Font

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Fluid Liquid Rim

Motor vehicle Gauge Automotive design Automotive tire Measuring instrument

Liquid Water Fluid Automotive lighting Gas

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Heya all! It's been a while since I've updated.
I've been learning how to autocross these last few weeks with my GR86.

PPIR has two Solstices on display
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Car

Sky Tire Wheel Car Truck

I've somehow found energy and time to work on my Sky too:

Turbo is on, intake manifold is on. Not pictured is the intake manifold thermal Isolator from PAW. It's supposed to bring the manifold temps down by 20 degrees.
Car Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Found out the RPM coolant temp replicator pipe was incorrectly bent... They had forgotten to send the coolant sensor too... I've had some rough luck with them lately...
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Automotive design Automotive fuel system

RPM Radiator installed
Hood Motor vehicle Grille Automotive tire Automotive design

Bigger steering reservoir installed with the relocation kit... That took some finessing, but I think it's good to go.
Car Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle

RPM HPFP installed
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive tire

It turns out the turbo I bought came with pre-bent fins. The guy was a total bro about it and refunded me
Automotive tire Flash photography Black-and-white Style Alloy wheel

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Quick follow up... I realized I hadn't shared the scary bit...

I decided to fully retime the engine per everyone's recommendation. While torquing the new crankshaft bolt a month and a half ago (my friend holding the cam with a 24mm wrench)... Out of nowhere a big metal snap happened... My neighbor and I look at each other in disbelief... The 24mm wrench snapped. The piece of metal that snapped off of it is nowhere to be found. It's actually why I checked compression and did visual inspections of the cylinders. I sent my camera down the front timing cover too. I can't find it ANYWHERE. The one thing we both remember is a ricochet sound off of the passenger side of the windshield. We're hoping it bounced away from the car completely...

I'm pretty scared.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Heya all! It's been a while since I've updated.
I've been learning how to autocross these last few weeks with my GR86.

PPIR has two Solstices on display
View attachment 119368

View attachment 119369

I've somehow found energy and time to work on my Sky too:

Turbo is on, intake manifold is on. Not pictured is the intake manifold thermal Isolator from PAW. It's supposed to bring the manifold temps down by 20 degrees.
View attachment 119362

Found out the RPM coolant temp replicator pipe was incorrectly bent... They had forgotten to send the coolant sensor too... I've had some rough luck with them lately...
View attachment 119363

RPM Radiator installed
View attachment 119364

Bigger steering reservoir installed with the relocation kit... That took some finessing, but I think it's good to go.
View attachment 119365

RPM HPFP installed
View attachment 119366

It turns out the turbo I bought came with pre-bent fins. The guy was a total bro about it and refunded me
View attachment 119367
Good to see it coming back together with all of the new bits. I've been waiting to see your final outcome with the new hood. Bummer about the turbo and the radiator coolant pipe. Hopefully those get sorted out soon. Do you think you're going to have everything back together before NASSAM?

I'm trying to wrap my head around the wrench break. Having just did the timing chain myself I can't imagine the wrench breaking with that force. IIRC it's like 75lbs plus 120 degrees or something like that?

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Hadn’t realized you had a powder coated valve cover. Very nice.

I also have one of those RPM upper rad hoses sitting in a box, and hadn’t realized the rubber coupler made it look that way. Not sure how I feel about it now.

And a suggestion re: your missing metal piece- the subframe just behind the rack has these 2 large openings. Maybe it slid in there...

·
Administrator
7,909 Posts
Quick follow up... I realized I hadn't shared the scary bit...

I decided to fully retime the engine per everyone's recommendation. While torquing the new crankshaft bolt a month and a half ago (my friend holding the cam with a 24mm wrench)... Out of nowhere a big metal snap happened... My neighbor and I look at each other in disbelief... The 24mm wrench snapped. The piece of metal that snapped off of it is nowhere to be found. It's actually why I checked compression and did visual inspections of the cylinders. I sent my camera down the front timing cover too. I can't find it ANYWHERE. The one thing we both remember is a ricochet sound off of the passenger side of the windshield. We're hoping it bounced away from the car completely...

I'm pretty scared.
I have bent wrenches, but never broken one. What brand is it, and what broke off?

81 - 100 of 107 Posts