Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all first post here. Love the Sky but wouldn't settle for anything less than the Redline, since I'm a performance junkie. I've got a WRX now but want a convertible. I've been planning on getting a Shelby Cobra replica for a while now, but since the news of the Sky Redline I'm rethinking what I want. The Sky is much more practical than a Cobra. Both would cost about the same, both are sexier than heck, and both should be fun to drive. I guess that's my problem to decide. Anyway, on to the comparison...

The new Motor Trend magazine (August 2006, page 164) has an article about GReddy (an aftermarket company) making a turbo kit for the Scion tC.

The performance numbers and weight seem very similar so I thought I'd share my theory that the Sky Redline will run about a 14-14.2 1/4 mile.

Note..............Scion tC...............Sky
Stock HP...........160...................177
Stock 0-60.........7.4...................7.2
Stock 1/4mile.....15.6.................15.8
Tested weight.....3110...............3155

Now for the Turbo Numbers:
Turbo HP...........260..................260
Turbo 0-60.........5.7..................5.4 (according to Saturn Ads?)
Turbo 1/4 mile....14.2................Unknown (but since all other number are so close I'm gonna estimate 14.0-14.2)

I've read somewhere on this or the Solstice forum that the turbo version will run 13.9. Are people just estimating? Or is there some cold hard facts?

Matt

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Wow..... GREAT FACT FINDING JOB.. and welcome...... SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just baised on power to weight the Redline should run 13's easily. My srt-4 stock at 2900lbs ran 13.9 at 230hp and 250tq. So the Redline with rearwheel drive and more power and weighing the same should do same if not better. I'll put money on 13.7's.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Generally people are saying the cars could run .4-.5 lower than the posted specs alot of times, so I have read it could possibly run a 13.6-14 flat depending on driver/conditions/etc... Overall I think the tC and the Sky RL are pretty uncomparable cars overall, and I don't think a factory turbo'd car is very easy to compare to an aftermarket turbo car. But I will say, the ecotec is proven, if nothing else.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
dtbrown said:
Just baised on power to weight the Redline should run 13's easily. My srt-4 stock at 2900lbs ran 13.9 at 230hp and 250tq. So the Redline with rearwheel drive and more power and weighing the same should do same if not better. I'll put money on 13.7's.
The SRT-4 was way under-rated. In fact, most dyno's showed the 230hp/250tq was at the wheels NOT the crank. Which puts it really at 275-280hp at the crank. Road and track weighed a regular Sky in at 3155lbs (see curb weight vs test weight on my Sky link above). So, that throws the power to weight ratio out the window.

Sky Redline will be slower than your SRT-4. My pridiction still stands at 14-14.2.

P.S. I'm not knocking the Redline. I love the car so much I might get one. I've just seen many people get upset because a car won't run what they thought it should.

Jordon,
I agree that "driver/conditions/etc..." play a major factor.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Unless, of course, GM ends up with the 260 being more biased to rwhp than fhp (praying). :willy: Nearly 300 at the crank would be a pretty good starting point. It'll be interesting to see what power it ends up making and what kind of traction issues the kappa has.

·
Super Moderator
11,446 Posts
Mattr762 said:
The SRT-4 was way under-rated. In fact, most dyno's showed the 230hp/250tq was at the wheels NOT the crank. Which puts it really at 275-280hp at the crank. Road and track weighed a regular Sky in at 3155lbs (see curb weight vs test weight on my Sky link above). So, that throws the power to weight ratio out the window.
GM underated the Cobalt SS and Ion Redlines too. Until I see stock dynos I'm not assuming ANYTHING about the true power output of the Sky RL.

The rearwheel drive on the Redline will also mean lower 60ft times because there is less weight on the rear tires for traction.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Weight dristribution on the SRT-4 is about 60/40 while the Sky is 50/50. However, the SRT-4 is FWD. When you launch, you LOOSE weight over the drive wheels putting the weight bias probably somewhere in the 50/50 or 40/60 range. With the Sky RL, being RWD, weight will INCREASE on the drive tires with weight shifting to something like 40/60 or 30/70. (For those new to this sort of stuff, a car doing a wheelie would have a weight distribution of 0/100.) More weight on the drive tires means more traction which leads to a lower 60' which, in turn, leads to lower ETs.

I'm not sure if this is what you were getting at or not...LOL

Sky Redline will be slower than your SRT-4. My pridiction still stands at 14-14.2.

P.S. I'm not knocking the Redline. I love the car so much I might get one. I've just seen many people get upset because a car won't run what they thought it should.
I'm not so sure about the Sky RL being slower than the SRT-4. The turbo 2.4 that was put together ran a 13.9 on very low boost. Larger engine and more compression, sure, but about a third of the boost predicted for the RL. I think the RL will be able to dip into the 13s but not very deep and it will take a great driver. All in all, I'm betting a race between a stock SRT-4 and a Stock Sky RL will be a driver's race all the way.

Not picking on you in general, I'm just saying that there are a lot of things to take into account when talking 1/4 mile ETs. I try and stay away from any form of "bench racing" but that goes double for a car that isn't even out yet.

Jordon,
I agree that "driver/conditions/etc..." play a major factor.[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
The Hahn's Turbo kits for the Solstice are hitting nearly 280HP to the flywheel and I think 242HP to the wheels. They've gotten their cars to go in the high 13s range. This is a bigger turbo then then GXP/Redline so it takes longer to spool and create power.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Mattr762 said:
The rearwheel drive on the Redline will also mean lower 60ft times because there is less weight on the rear tires for traction.
- that's total ricer logic. :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you have two cars one RWD and one FWD with the same weight and power the RWD will out launch and easily beat the FWD. That's where the "from a roll" excuse came from.

·
Super Moderator
11,446 Posts
brentil said:
The Hahn's Turbo kits for the Solstice are hitting nearly 280HP to the flywheel and I think 242HP to the wheels. They've gotten their cars to go in the high 13s range. This is a bigger turbo then then GXP/Redline so it takes longer to spool and create power.
All the more reason why I will wait and see what real world dynos are seeing these cars produce. The Cobalt SS is rated at something like 205 CHP yet guys are seeing something like 215 WHP from stock cars! (IIRC) Not saying that the Sky RL is going to do this but until I know what that car is putting to the ground anything about ETs is pure speculation.

Also, what is our gear ratio? Isn't the RL going to get a different rear end ratio and a better 2-3 gear range? Both of those COULD drop ETs as well depending on the accuracy of the info and what the base Sky's have gearing wise. On my GP going from a 2.97 (I think...2.9 something) to a 3.29 gave me about 2 tenths in the 1/4...and that's on a FWD that is a biatch to launch! LOL

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bradyb said:
- that's total ricer logic. :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you have two cars one RWD and one FWD with the same weight and power the RWD will out launch and easily beat the FWD. That's where the "from a roll" excuse came from.
Sorry, for the misleading info. I've been in a AWD WRX for 4 years now. I don't have traction issues at the drag strip. I've kinda forgotten what a 2 wheel drive car is like.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Jordan said:
But I will say, the ecotec is proven, if nothing else.

...so is the toyota mill, powering many (heavily modified) celica gt-s, mr2 spyders, and the lotus elise (with lotus specific tuning and possibly heads) as well as the tc. :thumbs:

·
Registered
514 Posts
The Scion is front wheel drive, ugh, never again. Once you go AWD and RWD, and especially RWD mid-engine, there is no going back to FWD.

The Scion will be close, but way less fun to drive, its a lighter car, but you are pretty much maxed out on that engine, the Redline should be able to up the boost more and handle more hp.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I too have a SRT-4; it's far from stock, and can't wait to strap the Redline down to a dyno and make some passes at the track. The elevation here in vegas kills track times as compared to the nice corrected numbers the magazines come up with in sunny California with a pro driver. Generally cars run .5 seconds slower here than in so cal; I ran 14.2 @99 in my SRT-4 stock and dynoed 227hp/263tq.

·
Registered
1 Posts
...so is the toyota mill, powering many (heavily modified) celica gt-s, mr2 spyders, and the lotus elise (with lotus specific tuning and possibly heads) as well as the tc. :thumbs:
Uh, no.

Engine codes as follows:
Celica - 1.8 1zz (140HP) or 1.8 2zz (170HP)
MR2 Spyder - 1zz
Elise - 2zz
Scion tC - I don't even know, but it's neither a 1zz or 2zz. It's the base 4-cyl engine in the Camry. Something like 2.3L 160HP.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Uh, no.

Engine codes as follows:
Celica - 1.8 1zz (140HP) or 1.8 2zz (170HP)
MR2 Spyder - 1zz
Elise - 2zz
Scion tC - I don't even know, but it's neither a 1zz or 2zz. It's the base 4-cyl engine in the Camry. Something like 2.3L 160HP.
my bad, the scion tc is a 2AZ-FE and the xA/xB use the 1NZ-FE. :thumbs:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Coming from the Nissan/SR20DET side of things.......

SR20DET is a DOHC 2.0L without VVT and with the stock 7PSI of boost it has 210HP - it's a known fact you can cut the boost up to 14PSI get 320HP and still have a daily driver just by cutting the boost up, maybe a FMIC and CAI to cut out heat issues but mainly no bolt ons, no real mods - that's stock internals folks.

I'm telling you with a reported 19PSI I dunno if most of the older Muscle Car guys know this but 19 Pounds per Square Inch is a LOT of ****in' boost!!!

That on a DOHC 2.0L with VVT, 260HP is a HUGE undershot - I wouldn't be shocked if there is a plug we could pull somewhere or even a ECU tune of sorts and you'll have 320 easy on a BAD day out of this thing without cutting the boost up or anything.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts