Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone have any info on a Sky Redline? I was talking with a guy at a saturn showroom and I got some info. I don't really know how much of it is true but this is what I got: I guess the performance version of the Solstice will get the supercharged engine from the Cobalt SS however GM says the Sky will not get that engine. The guy from saturn said that the Sky will get a naturally aspirated V6. I think it is the 60 deg. one not the 90 deg 3800 series. It is supposedly good for around 270 hp and around the same for torque. He also said it will probably be a six speed with steering wheel mounted shifters and have an LSD (is one standard on the base car?). He seemed pretty excited about it but it is still pretty earlier and i don't know how correct that info is. He said it would come out 6 months or so after the base model. Pricing should be in the high 20k's. I guess we will see.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
well, we've speculated on this for a while. the only thing that is certain, is that nothing is certain. they havent even said for sure if there would be a redline. so if they wont even tell us that, we for sure dont know anything beyond that.

now, if we had to guess, there were a few different options for the engine of a sky RL. one would be to SC or TC the 2.4L. another would be a SC version of the 2.0L or the 2.2L. and of course, there could also be a V6. however, if there was a V6, it most likely would be naturally aspired, (which i prefer because then i can strap on a SC or TC myself) but the engine bay would become a tad cramped with a V6 in there.

again, we really dont know, and i would say its safe to assume that we probably wont know until mid 2006 about a redline for sure. thats more than a year of biting nails! aarg! :brentil: :banghead:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,677 Posts
gostraighter said:
...The guy from saturn said that the Sky will get a naturally aspirated V6. ... He also said it will probably be a six speed with steering wheel mounted shifters ... i don't know how correct that info is. ....
LOL! LMFAO!!!

man, he should have just said there'd be a 5.3L v8 from the SSR...

Dunno what he's been smokin'. Just remember how accurate this guy's information is when we really find out. I wouldn't use much of this info to try and win a bar bet or anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
gostraighter said:
Does anyone have any info on a Sky Redline? I was talking with a guy at a saturn showroom and I got some info. I don't really know how much of it is true but this is what I got: I guess the performance version of the Solstice will get the supercharged engine from the Cobalt SS however GM says the Sky will not get that engine. The guy from saturn said that the Sky will get a naturally aspirated V6. I think it is the 60 deg. one not the 90 deg 3800 series. It is supposedly good for around 270 hp and around the same for torque. He also said it will probably be a six speed with steering wheel mounted shifters and have an LSD (is one standard on the base car?). He seemed pretty excited about it but it is still pretty earlier and i don't know how correct that info is. He said it would come out 6 months or so after the base model. Pricing should be in the high 20k's. I guess we will see.

this is a statement that worries me.

i want a real manual, thank you very much :willy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I know. I am a little skeptical myself but it would be nice it that was all true. I also would like a regular 6 speed stick not the paddle shifters. Although I must say that when I drove a Lamborghini Gallardo the shifts definately are a lot faster and the downshifts...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
Rondosa said:
this is a statement that worries me.

i want a real manual, thank you very much :willy:
Even on the exotic cars, when you have the paddle shifters, it is just an option. it works more like an automatic than a manual and you still have the option for a traditional manual, which i TOTALLY prefer!

but again, chances are, no paddle shifters, because we really havent heard anything yet, and this was coming from the guy who was certain that it would be a V6 in the redline
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
Rondosa said:
this is a statement that worries me.

i want a real manual, thank you very much :willy:
The paddle shift will be an automatic like the Comp G, IMHO. Would probably be choice of 6 stick or 6 auto with paddles/buttons, etc.

Kappaman said:
Dunno what he's been smokin'. Just remember how accurate this guy's information is when we really find out. I wouldn't use much of this info to try and win a bar bet or anything
You can win all kinds of bar bets with GM salesmen :cheers: , until they get official info through the chain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
no v6 talk

I work at a saturn dealership and have seen and been in the sky but NO talk about a v6 or a redline has come out not even on saturnteam.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
well, the ion was out for a few years before the redline came along. but you know that saturn wouldnt (and shouldnt!) pass up the opportunity for a high performance version of the sky! but i dont expect it for at the very least one year, more realistically 2-3 years. but by no means should saturn pass this by!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so your saying I shouldn't wait till the redline comes out if I want to get a sky. If it was only like 6 months I might be able to wait but a year or more I don't think so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
if you want a sky soon, just get the sky. dont hold your breath on a redline version. or maybe you could do a 3 year lease then the redline should be out when the lease is up. even better!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,360 Posts
Over at the Solstice forums we were speculating the Solstice GXP will more then likely be available at the end of 2006 as a 2007 model. The Sky RL might appear then, or it might follow a little later as an early 2008 or 2007.5 model refresh in 2007.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah that is a good point the first year ones always have a lot of problems. Hopefully they will have the Sky sorted out by the time it goes on sale. I think I will just get the sky when it comes out but I don't think I will lease it. Then I wouldn't be able to modify it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
gostraighter said:
Yeah that is a good point the first year ones always have a lot of problems. Hopefully they will have the Sky sorted out by the time it goes on sale. I think I will just get the sky when it comes out but I don't think I will lease it. Then I wouldn't be able to modify it!
well, ill second that one. id never lease one because then i couldnt put a lot of miles on it. if im going to have a car, im going to use it!

and i hope that saturn uses that time that we are waiting. i would love to see the performance of this car be higher. as it is, maybe we will be driving a kinda fast car, but i know that there are a lot of family sedans out there that can go faster for cheaper. i just want my car that looks fast to BE fast. 7.2 or 7.5 0-60 time just wont cut it for me. thats why i really, really want this redline to be produced. for the looks, this car should be made to do 5 second 0-60 times. THEN, i would begin with the aftermarket stuff. i just dont want to be doing a quarter mile at 15 seconds. my stratus sedan got 14 seconds. sorry if i am kinda ranting about this, but i just would hate to get beat by some family man with 5 people in the car! that would be unacceptable!

Make the Redline! please!!! you will have your sales, i promise you that there are a LOT of people just like me out here, saturn!
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
3,491 Posts
Does anyone have any info on a Sky Redline? I was talking with a guy at a saturn showroom and I got some info. I don't really know how much of it is true but this is what I got: I guess the performance version of the Solstice will get the supercharged engine from the Cobalt SS however GM says the Sky will not get that engine. The guy from saturn said that the Sky will get a naturally aspirated V6. I think it is the 60 deg. one not the 90 deg 3800 series. It is supposedly good for around 270 hp and around the same for torque. He also said it will probably be a six speed with steering wheel mounted shifters and have an LSD (is one standard on the base car?). He seemed pretty excited about it but it is still pretty earlier and i don't know how correct that info is. He said it would come out 6 months or so after the base model. Pricing should be in the high 20k's. I guess we will see.
Yeah, I got one. PM me if you want details.
  • Solstice didn't get a supercharged engine.
  • No V-6 for the SKY.
  • No paddle shifters on the steering wheel.
  • High 20s is justabout what I paid for mine.
Your guy from Saturn is batting 1-for-4.

Don't you love digging up old random threads and posting them with a current answer? I wonder what other "Gold" is out there?

:glol:
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top