Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm back again with more Sky RL (automatic) issues....

I have an inkling of an idea of what's going wrong after doing some research. Here's what happened:

A couple of weeks ago the info screen popped up with a "engine power reduced" message and then the car went into limp mode after I tried to hard accelerate. After this happened I just drove the car very gently, trying to never dip into the boost. Admittedly, I should've immediately got it fixed but I figured it was a one time thing and I should just drive safer. Jump to recently this past week, the car has been very difficult to start, it would often rough idle very hard and then work itself out or sputter at the start and then work regularly. After work today I tried starting my car but it only sputtered and then all the gauges dropped along with the engine. My Sky is currently just sitting in the parking lot at work as it will not stay on long enough to get out.

I did some reading which pointed to this being fuel rail/pump/injector/filter related or it could be spark plugs/coils. If anyone has any input let me know! I would also like to know if this is something that I should try to DIY or if I should take it to pepboys or a chevy dealer.

Oil changed less than 200 miles ago, and supposedly the fuel injectors were flushed with fluids about 6-7k miles ago.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Limp mode- reduced engine power.
A couple of weeks ago- is when this started.

What is the current mileage?
You had the oil changed by someone- the fuel injectors were supposedly cleaned by the
same shop? Without knowing what the code is for the reduced power limp mode it
might be hard for our community to help you out with their suggestions as to the cause
or affect. That would be my first suggestion- find out what the code is.

With the RL model when reduced power is mentioned we think one of the intake hoses
has popped off. MAF sensor or the TB have been known as problems in some cases.
The fuel starvation issues- it could be the fuel pumps- the low pressure one in the tank or
the HPFP towards the back half of the motor.

Plugs- are how old? A miss fire might happen if they were bad, but new plugs never hurt.
Quick, cheap, easy to replace.
Battery- How old? The struggle to start it for weeks- it could be weak or going dead.
Taking it into the chevy dealer is an option- an expensive one as a last resort.
You could tow it to the dealer, let them diagnose the problem at cost, offer the solution
to repair it at cost-

I don't think it is a clogged CAT or the charcoal cannister is saturated but they could be?
IF there are no other issues beside this rough starting, sputtering then works itself out
is a major thing but without a starting point and some more info our knowledgeable club
of owners can offer help for you to get it off the lot at work- what parts might be the culprit
to your issues?

LAC

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
One thing to check for are oil-flooded spark plugs. The valve cover gasket around the plugs might have failed to one or more plugs, drowning them in engine oil over a period of time. You would have to remove each ignition coil to inspect each plug, an easy task to perform in the parking lot at work. If you find a flooded plug, stuff some paper towels inside to absorb the worst of the oil, then remove the plug and let what remains, drip into the cylinder. Wipe the plug clean, reinstall, and see if the engine will start. Two or more badly flooded plugs on a 4 cylinder engine can affect startup.

In my 2.4L Sky with 121,000 miles, I had one spark plug that started to flood but it did not yet affect anything. You can see the oil in the spark plug second from left.
Circuit component Audio equipment Electronic component Electronic instrument Electronic engineering

I volunteer at a church auto repair facility that services the under-resourced in our community. I have replaced valve cover gaskets on a few different vehicles with a number of spark plugs flooded badly, so much that the vehicle was barely operable.

FYI: Here is the valve cover gasket, a soft pliable new one in blue. My original gasket got hard as stone and was cracked in numerous places making somewhat of a dirty mess on the engine.
Musical instrument Blue Font Automotive exterior Gas

Hopefully the cause for your trouble is as simple as this.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Limp mode- reduced engine power.
A couple of weeks ago- is when this started.

What is the current mileage?
You had the oil changed by someone- the fuel injectors were supposedly cleaned by the
same shop? Without knowing what the code is for the reduced power limp mode it
might be hard for our community to help you out with their suggestions as to the cause
or affect. That would be my first suggestion- find out what the code is.

With the RL model when reduced power is mentioned we think one of the intake hoses
has popped off. MAF sensor or the TB have been known as problems in some cases.
The fuel starvation issues- it could be the fuel pumps- the low pressure one in the tank or
the HPFP towards the back half of the motor.

Plugs- are how old? A miss fire might happen if they were bad, but new plugs never hurt.
Quick, cheap, easy to replace.
Battery- How old? The struggle to start it for weeks- it could be weak or going dead.
Taking it into the chevy dealer is an option- an expensive one as a last resort.
You could tow it to the dealer, let them diagnose the problem at cost, offer the solution
to repair it at cost-

I don't think it is a clogged CAT or the charcoal cannister is saturated but they could be?
IF there are no other issues beside this rough starting, sputtering then works itself out
is a major thing but without a starting point and some more info our knowledgeable club
of owners can offer help for you to get it off the lot at work- what parts might be the culprit
to your issues?

LAC
HI, thanks for the response!

The codes that I have are
P0011
P0014
P0087

Ive had the P0011 and P0014 for a while, I have replaced both solenoids but the code still persists, wasn't sure what to do about that one.

The P0087 is the new one which I'm assuming is the problem right now.

The car has 97k miles on it and I had the fuel injectors flushed while I was at a shop in kissimme Florida that didn't treat me well. They did replace the valve cover gasket at 92k miles and spark plugs. They were swimming in oil at that time. I had a private mechanic replace the charcoal canister and solenoid in the back of the trunk. I know that one of the hoses was damaged in the back when he was taking it out, it got a small crack but he put automotive gorilla glue and tape; said that it would be fine. The private mechanic has done well for me before and he's trusted in my state so I'm inclined to believe that the hose crack is handled, unless others here think otherwise.

Thanks in advance for any help/info!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One thing to check for are oil-flooded spark plugs. The valve cover gasket around the plugs might have failed to one or more plugs, drowning them in engine oil over a period of time. You would have to remove each ignition coil to inspect each plug, an easy task to perform in the parking lot at work. If you find a flooded plug, stuff some paper towels inside to absorb the worst of the oil, then remove the plug and let what remains, drip into the cylinder. Wipe the plug clean, reinstall, and see if the engine will start. Two or more badly flooded plugs on a 4 cylinder engine can affect startup.

In my 2.4L Sky with 121,000 miles, I had one spark plug that started to flood but it did not yet affect anything. You can see the oil in the spark plug second from left.
View attachment 117658
I volunteer at a church auto repair facility that services the under-resourced in our community. I have replaced valve cover gaskets on a few different vehicles with a number of spark plugs flooded badly, so much that the vehicle was barely operable.

FYI: Here is the valve cover gasket, a soft pliable new one in blue. My original gasket got hard as stone and was cracked in numerous places making somewhat of a dirty mess on the engine.
View attachment 117662
Hopefully the cause for your trouble is as simple as this.
Thanks for the info. I had this done about 7k miles ago. The same thing happened to me. I wasn't sure if it would be back or not. I have 3 hours til triple A shows up but it's raining so I'll wait in working on it in the lot. When I had my valve cover gasket removed they replaced my 3rd coil cause it was causing misfires, the misfire code has since been gone and the vehicle doesn't misfire now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts