Saturn Sky Forum banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
JamesHKim87 said:
I was wondering if anyone knew a place where they converted the sky's manual top to automatic top? Thats the only think I HATE about the car... how can it not be automatic!!!??? they should atleast put it as option...
As you get out of the auto, please go rrrrrrrrrrr and manually pull the top up while making said noise. This way you will be athikin that the top has a motor on it. Do this in reverse for putting said top down. Anything else ya wanta now? Skip.....:thumbs:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
usmc said:
one thing you ol timers need to understand is that not everyone interested in the sky is old enough to have been in "Nam". you are going to have to learn to accomodate all types of car enthusiasts on here. If a young "whipper snapper" wants to ask a question about lambo doors or putting on a 3 foot high wing... let him. thats what this forum is for. you may think that "thats not what a real roadster is" but who cares? keep those comments to yourself.
many ofthese threads start out with a good question from someone just looking for some info and end up being taken over by the old timers and their opinions on what a "roadster" should be.
Everyone on here is spending 25k+ on a car that they can chose to do with as they want.. leave them alone!

I'm starting to think I'll just hang out on the SOL forum. Much more open minded over there
What did you have to eat today? SOS Get up on the right side of the bed tomorrow. Please.... Skip....:thumbs:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
usmc said:
one thing you ol timers need to understand is that not everyone interested in the sky is old enough to have been in "Nam". you are going to have to learn to accomodate all types of car enthusiasts on here. If a young "whipper snapper" wants to ask a question about lambo doors or putting on a 3 foot high wing... let him. thats what this forum is for. you may think that "thats not what a real roadster is" but who cares? keep those comments to yourself.
many ofthese threads start out with a good question from someone just looking for some info and end up being taken over by the old timers and their opinions on what a "roadster" should be.
Everyone on here is spending 25k+ on a car that they can chose to do with as they want.. leave them alone!

I'm starting to think I'll just hang out on the SOL forum. Much more open minded over there
THANK YOU!

eldeeko said:
The question at hand was answered in the first couple of threads, no need to continue asking the same. Nothing to do with USMC, 3 foot high wings or lambo doors. (I like lambo doors). I don't believe we need to rescue anyone from the thread as it should have died on it's own merit.
No, it was not answered by the way... they were all just opinionated answers on how much they thought it was going to cost or how they thought it was stupid.

Skip said:
What did you have to eat today? SOS Get up on the right side of the bed tomorrow. Please.... Skip....:thumbs:
I think eldeeko should be the one getting up on the right side of the bed and eating right! all he has to say is a bunch of crap that solves nothing but brings up more negative comments. If you really disagree, IGNORE IT!

usmc said:
I think who said that was confusing "gullwing" doors with lambo doors. Gullwing doors (hinged to the roof of the car) would be impossible because this is a convertible but lambo doors are totally doable. I have already been in contact with a few lambo door makers. they try to sell me the "universal" kit which involves cutting and welding. not something I'm going to do. If they see a demand they will build a custom kit just for the sky which usually (but not always) means you can install it without having to do any permanent changes to the car. but for now, i haven't seen anything for the sol. i think some vendors will not build things for us do to the low production numbers. They might not make enough money to warrant the R&D.
Lastly, so it is possible that later on they might sell custom kits for it right?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
JamesHKim87 said:
I was wondering if anyone knew a place where they converted the sky's manual top to automatic top? Thats the only think I HATE about the car... how can it not be automatic!!!??? they should atleast put it as option...
No nobody on this list know's of a place where that can be done! If there was a place somebody on this list would probably know. That is most direct answer you can get here.

In regards to the opinions of why there isn't a place or likely to be a place that will do this, or the disadvantages of doing so. What I read even though, they are all opinions, they are well based in reason and facts about the Sky.

If you want to do this anyways and you have the money, I am sure there is a custom car shop that will accomodate you.

Can we please end this thread now?:nono:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
richmcc said:
No nobody on this list know's of a place where that can be done! If there was a place somebody on this list would probably know. That is most direct answer you can get here.

In regards to the opinions of why there isn't a place or likely to be a place that will do this, or the disadvantages of doing so. What I read even though, they are all opinions, they are well based in reason and facts about the Sky.

If you want to do this anyways and you have the money, I am sure there is a custom car shop that will accomodate you.

Can we please end this thread now?:nono:

O thx thx. and would you happen to know a custom shop around Southern California?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
CdnSkyGuy said:
What do you expect...we are all lifers here, I have been waiting for a small sporty Saturn ever since the Curve.

For someone to come on here and say it looks ugly because the top is manual is blasphemy. Our lord and saviour KappaMan should strike you down for having such a thought.

I did not mean to "pick a fight" I just call it like I see it...you are truly the only person who ever gave a rats ass if it had a power top or not.

So sorry for offending you...let's just agree to disagree.
:agree:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
usmc said:
i think some vendors will not build things for us do to the low production numbers. They might not make enough money to warrant the R&D.
That was the point I was trying to get across... return on investment is the name of the game in industry now... (I am in enginnering so I do have a handle on how much it costs to engineer a new piece of equipment)

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I know what I would rather see than a power top is a power rear deck latch, where you just pull it down to make contact then a motor closes it and locks it down... like some cars have on their trunks... then you would not have to slam down the decklid and maybe dent the metal...

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
JamesHKim....

Don't let us get under your skin... You are just looking for information and answers and we are a bunch of addicts alternatingly riding highs and lows... Think of it as a family and remember the best statement about the whole nit-pickin' fun makin' back slappin' crowd is that we put the FUN in Dysfunctional...

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
JamesHKim87 said:
THANK YOU!

the "feeling" I got from the lambo door maker was that they will wait and see what the demand is going to be. Like skyman07 was saying, if they can't make money they aren't going to do it. maybe a year before they actually decide to make a custom kit. The Solstice has been out for awhile now and they still aren't making them for that and they said that they weren't currently working on it either. So really the answer is- who knows?
of course, where theres $$$$$ theres a way. so if you are loaded and have the money to throw around, I'm sure if you contacted a lambo door company or some sort of custom shop that they will be more than willing to design lambo doors and some sort of auto top for you. We all know that almost anything is possible when it comes to modding cars.. it just sometimes takes lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to do it.
I'm unfortunately am not one with the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to purse either the lambo doors or auto top as a custom job. I will wait and see if they mass produce and decide at that point.
Good luck! and if you do happen to pursue these things, keep us posted on what you find and cost involved. you never know, you might be the first one that opens the flood gates for mass production of these mods.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
JamesHKim....

Don't let us get under your skin... You are just looking for information and answers and we are a bunch of addicts alternatingly riding highs and lows... Think of it as a family and remember the best statement about the whole nit-pickin' fun makin' back slappin' crowd is that we put the FUN in Dysfunctional...
we put the FUN in Dysfunctional..

HEHEHE totally :agree: :agree:
I have more fun with this dysfunctional forum family that I do with my own dysfunctional family!!!

·
Registered
248 Posts
... what's a lambo door?

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
i like the lid the way it is... not changing that one...... dual exhaust.. now, that is a different story.. hey, does anyone know if putting dual exhaust will void ANY warrenty on our Babies? SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
bubbacc said:
... what's a lambo door?
they are the doors that open up, into the air, like a lamborghini.

this link has a video of lambo doors-- http://www.lambodoors.biz/

In my opinion, it looks awesome on some cars and just lame on others.
its just a matter of personal taste.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,298 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
eldeeko said:
Seems you've got a lot of good hearted people kissing your butt, just to end this thread. Yes! by all means, get a custom top. Spend another $20k, I suppose Papa can afford it. Don't forget to have your Nanny powder your rear before you take it for a ride.

Sigh:willy:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
usmc said:
just a warning about the Universal kits-- I haven't seen one yet that doesn't require some cutting/welding. Wanted to throw that out there before anyone drops hundreds of bucks and then find you'll need a cutter and torch.
Well In my opinion anyone that makes a mod like that to a Sky has more money than they have sense.... it's just crazy to do something like that to a brand new car...

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
usmc said:
I think who said that was confusing "gullwing" doors with lambo doors.
In the origional post I used the term "gullwing" for lack of a better term. Sorry for any confusion. Obviously a true gullwing would be hard to accomplish on a convertible.

usmc said:
i think some vendors will not build things for us do to the low production numbers. They might not make enough money to warrant the R&D.
I agree that the limited number of cars and the audience they are intended for are going to limit what some vendors will do. It will depend how many cars are producted in total over a number of years I guess. If the Sky/Solstice have a production run as long as the Miata has then perhaps more offerings will present themselves.

I guess it also depends on how good an idea a vendor has, how reasonably priced they can produce it at and how much demand there is for it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
SkyMan 07 said:
Well In my opinion anyone that makes a mod like that to a Sky has more money than they have sense.... it's just crazy to do something like that to a brand new car...
Ok, nobody actually knows how much its going to cost but honestly... wouldn't it be awsome if the top was automatic on the sky or the solstice because their trunk would have to go up and down as well? For other convertible's only the top moves but the sky... the trunk would have to move too.

Also, at first when i asked the question, i didnt know how hard it was to make something like that. Im only a freshman in college currently pursuing civil engineering at UCI, not even mechanical! Im sorry I'm not all experienced engineers like you who knows how much everything costs to produce. I'm just a curious teenager.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts