Saturn Sky Forum banner
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Now, now Jimmy
No one here meant to break your bubble..esp a UCI guy. It's a hard path (Civil Engineering) that you have chosen and there is a very large amount of competition at that school. That was one of the schools my daughter was accepted at but she decided UCSB was more to her liking (and further from home). As it was at the time my next older daughter worked for the Dean of UCI and set up nearly all of Her (at that time) special events on campus or at her home. So I am not at all unfamiliar with your pressures. Sorry to have gotten you in a wad.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
JamesHKim87 said:
Ok, nobody actually knows how much its going to cost but honestly... wouldn't it be awsome if the top was automatic on the sky or the solstice because their trunk would have to go up and down as well? For other convertible's only the top moves but the sky... the trunk would have to move too.

Also, at first when i asked the question, i didnt know how hard it was to make something like that. Im only a freshman in college currently pursuing civil engineering at UCI, not even mechanical! Im sorry I'm not all experienced engineers like you who knows how much everything costs to produce. I'm just a curious teenager.
It would look cool, but for my money I think I would rather put it into something that would be visible all the time, Like a custom paint job, not something someone would only see when putting the top up or down...
but that is my opinion.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
JamesHKim87 said:
Ok, nobody actually knows how much its going to cost but honestly... wouldn't it be awsome if the top was automatic on the sky or the solstice because their trunk would have to go up and down as well? For other convertible's only the top moves but the sky... the trunk would have to move too.

Also, at first when i asked the question, i didnt know how hard it was to make something like that. Im only a freshman in college currently pursuing civil engineering at UCI, not even mechanical! Im sorry I'm not all experienced engineers like you who knows how much everything costs to produce. I'm just a curious teenager.
Ok -- Ok you got me

Imagining what that would look like (how we get the pins in for the butresses I don't know) with the clamshell trunk opening the top coming out and pining itself in....:cool:

Still though the cost ($$:confused: $$) and the space the machinery would take up! YIKES..:willy:
But, cool looking -- OK I'll give you that. :driving:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
:cheers: That's cool. You never will learn unless you ask, then formulate all the info, and then make a decision which is in YOUR, not mine or anyone elses' best interest. By cracky!!!!! HEY SKI-UP, WUTS FER VITTLE'S TONITE? R WE'S EATEN OUT BY THE CEMENT POND? HEY COUSIN ELDEEKO, YOU BRING SOME OF THAT "GOOD FER WHAT AIL'S YA":D :lol: :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
Ok -- Ok you got me

Imagining what that would look like (how we get the pins in for the butresses I don't know) with the clamshell trunk opening the top coming out and pining itself in....:cool:

Still though the cost ($$:confused: $$) and the space the machinery would take up! YIKES..:willy:
like they say "Money Talks, BS walks"....
If you throw enough money at it I guess they could figure out all those things... of course get rid of the humps and that would solve a lot of the problems, you could have a conventional roof then...but you would lose some uniqueness of the car...

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
JamesHKim87 said:
its a simple question... yes or no? why do you have to offend people about a simple question...

i really dont get people who come on forums and try to pick fights or just post up stupid comments that resolve nothing...
JamesHKim87, I can understand you asking for a powertop, but to be quite frank with you, I don't imagine there is enough room for the power mechanism. I have a '71 Vette and the top is manual. Takes less than 30 seconds to get it down. I had a '69 Buick Skylark with a power top and it took 2 or 3 minutes to get it from up to down. And that is once I bleed the hydraulics to speed it up. You either have to use hydraulics or and electric driven acuator and both of those take up considerable space and add 50 or more pounds extra weight. Which may not sound like much, but in a small car, every pound counts. And whey you already have a very tight space to fit a top in, every extra inch of it you take up with an actuator is an inch you have to take from something else. The actuators go on the sides with the frame, so where do you put it at? Ain't much room in that trunk. Try to re-engineer that and also keep the cost down and you will see it will cost you an extra $5K for after market.

Hope this gives you a better explanation why you won't be getting a power top for a small sports car.:thumbs:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 · (Edited)
SkyMan 07 said:
like they say "Money Talks, BS walks"....
If you throw enough money at it I guess they could figure out all those things... of course get rid of the humps and that would solve a lot of the problems, you could have a conventional roof then...but you would lose some uniqueness of the car...
ya.. maybe if everything was powered except the "humps" (thats the pin like thingy right?) it would be a lot easier and more reasonable. or maybe just have the trunk electonically powered so that i dont have to get off the car if it rains all of a sudden (and leave the pins hanging for a bit lol).

________

TexSon said:
JamesHKim87, I can understand you asking for a powertop, but to be quite frank with you, I don't imagine there is enough room for the power mechanism. I have a '71 Vette and the top is manual. Takes less than 30 seconds to get it down. I had a '69 Buick Skylark with a power top and it took 2 or 3 minutes to get it from up to down. And that is once I bleed the hydraulics to speed it up. You either have to use hydraulics or and electric driven acuator and both of those take up considerable space and add 50 or more pounds extra weight. Which may not sound like much, but in a small car, every pound counts. And whey you already have a very tight space to fit a top in, every extra inch of it you take up with an actuator is an inch you have to take from something else. The actuators go on the sides with the frame, so where do you put it at? Ain't much room in that trunk. Try to re-engineer that and also keep the cost down and you will see it will cost you an extra $5K for after market.

Hope this gives you a better explanation why you won't be getting a power top for a small sports car.:thumbs:
o... is the motor for the top that big?...

Also about the weight problem... I believe the sky's weight distribution is not 50/50 but Almost 50/50 and I'm pretty sure the front weighs more so if i happen to put some extra weight at the rear end... wouldn't it help the weight distribution?

eldeeko said:
Now, now Jimmy
No one here meant to break your bubble..esp a UCI guy. It's a hard path (Civil Engineering) that you have chosen and there is a very large amount of competition at that school. That was one of the schools my daughter was accepted at but she decided UCSB was more to her liking (and further from home). As it was at the time my next older daughter worked for the Dean of UCI and set up nearly all of Her (at that time) special events on campus or at her home. So I am not at all unfamiliar with your pressures. Sorry to have gotten you in a wad.
haha its cool now, it's because I kinda came up on this forum with a strong statement about the car. lol. Which I reworded later on in the thread btw...

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
JamesHKim87 said:
o... is the motor for the top that big?...

Also about the weight problem... I believe the sky's weight distribution is not 50/50 but Almost 50/50 and I'm pretty sure the front weighs more so if i happen to put some extra weight at the rear end... wouldn't it help the weight distribution?
You're correct, the car is closer to 52/48 (just like the new MX-5) then it is 50/50. GM always refers to it as "nearly 50/50" with a clarification sometimes of the actual 52/48.

The main issue I see with this type of project is the trunk is shaped so oddly and very small as is it would be extremely dificult to put the hardware in to power a top for this car. Then you also have to design a entirely new roof that doesn't use buttresses either because you'll never get them to close automatically.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
JamesHKim....

Don't let us get under your skin... You are just looking for information and answers and we are a bunch of addicts alternatingly riding highs and lows... Think of it as a family and remember the best statement about the whole nit-pickin' fun makin' back slappin' crowd is that we put the FUN in Dysfunctional...

:agree: just makes me think of... YOU CAN PICK YOUR FRIENDS... BUT NOT YOUR FAMILY... i feel like a FAMILY MEMBER HERE.... and... if you cant GIVE AND RECEIVE criticism, well, that is hard to take if you are a defensive person. We all have our opinions and most of them are possitive or HELPFUL... but, like any families.. we have a few nuts... WE LOVE OUR NUTS... and we are just addicts waiting for our Sky's to arrive.... I dont beleive ANYONE... on purpose starts a topic just to get under anyone's skin... isnt this the place to ASK AND GET QUESTIONS ANSWERED... the negative things could be NOT HERE.... but, as in any family.... THERE IS GOOD AND BAD.. and we all get "up on the wrong" side of the bed at times... OK.. done..... SkyBaby-07

and about the highs and lows.... i will try to make it quick... WE ARE ALL VERY PASSIONATE about our cars... how they are made, the extras, how they are perceived by others and it does offend some of us when our car is DISSED... and it is just an opinion of someone, that makes for a grumpy day when it is not warrented... hmmmm hope i said that right... ty for listening.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
Ok -- Ok you got me

We could make a little humming noise as we put the top up and down. :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
GRinLR said:
We could make a litthumming noise as we put the top up and down. :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ok.. now, when i hum. or sing... DONT LISTEN... my kids say i sing WAY TOO LOUD.... i love to sing.. and i am good at it.. BUT... they are kids.. and tell me to HUM... and nothing else.... oh well.. when the lid is down and i am driving down 39 S to..... 57.. and then down to FLORIDA.. WHO CARES WHAT MY SINGING IS LIKE.. i just want to SEE PALM TREES AGAIN... ok... i am way off subject.. sry.. SkyBaby-07

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
GRinLR said:
We could make a little humming noise as we put the top up and down. :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
I prefer rrrrrrrrrr sounds like a real motor, already told the youngin to do that at the beginning of his thread. Skip....:lol: :lol: :cool:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
I guess I like the romance of the old roadsters. Barebones! Just you the car and the road. The car will draw lots of attention without the gadgets. I can't wait to go to the local Burger King or Tim Hortons on a Friday night. All those nice '50's and 60's beauties and my Sky. :lol:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
rick112 said:
I guess I like the romance of the old roadsters. Barebones! Just you the car and the road. The car will draw lots of attention without the gadgets. I can't wait to go to the local Burger King or Tim Hortons on a Friday night. All those nice '50's and 60's beauties and my Sky. :lol:
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :agree: :driving:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't think my arm would fit to roll the window's down........

Fat jokes need not apply I bench 400 pounds.

·
Registered
55 Posts
A Cheaper Alternative ???????????????

GET A HARD TOP,INSTALL A TRAILER HITCH.BUY A SUITABLE ENCLOSED TRAILER.......................................AH JUST FORGET IT ......:UNLESS YOU HAVE A LUGGAGE PROBLEM TOO..............:brentil: :brentil: :brentil: :brentil:

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Lambo Doors

I think it would be cool to have Lamborghini style doors - except I would want them to be more like the doors on the Koenigsegg http://www.koenigsegg.se/ - I had a couple of times in a Fiero where some idiot parked so close to me that I could not open the door far enough to get in and had to climb in through the passenger side.

I thought I saw somewhere that the latest Laborghini has normally hinged doors.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I don't understand, My SKY:nono: :nono: will have an auto top???? MY WIFE...SEAL9

·
Registered
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
32 Posts
By the questions and by the wording, I would say someone here has a lot of lifes disappointments ahead of the them. The engineering alone is not worth it due to the clamshell design. Someone out there is being very very optimistic with $2000 price. You can't always get what you want, no matter what you think. You want this option? buy a car with it. Go Away!

LMAOOO I know this is like over a decade old but I gotta put my two cents on this guy. Frog Man decided to get offended a 19 yr old asked if its possible to put a automatic top which is hilarious. Frogman if you ever see this bro you at least then had to have been the saddest guy ever to actually say **** like that lmaooo. Fr said you have a lot of life disappointments ahead of them :ROFLMAO: who are you bro.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts