Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. My first post. I have had the sky swimming in my mind since seeing auto show photos earlier in the year. My current car is a 97 Mazda Miata, but I have been thinking of upgrading to either the new Miata or the Solstice/Sky. I posted this already in the Miata forum, but just found this one....

Anyway, having never seen the car in person, I stumbled across it while walking to the Hancock building from the west loop in Chicago this past sunday afternoon. To my surprise, the Sky was being unloaded from a truck to be put into the Merchandise Mart on display during NeoCon (which goes through Thursday, I believe, if anyone in Chicagoland wants to stop by the mart for a peek).

The car is gorgeous in person. I couldn't believe the way people were rubbernecking, even those coming out of th eEast Bank Club in their swanky luxury cars were driving slowly and taking a stare. The car was running at the time, and had a really nice low throaty burble at idle. I would say deeper and slightly louder than my stock Miata exhaust. Unfortunately I did not ask to sit in it, something that I'm kicking myself over now. The interior was fantastic! Much better than the Solstice I've seen in Detroit last year.

All in all, it is just a gorgeous car that looks twice as expensive as it is. I will definitely be holding off any new Miata purchase until I get a chance to experience the Sky. I hear rumors of a supercharger, when might that arrive?

Glad to be here. I'll probably check in more to get updates. I still can't get this car out of my head. :)

I apologize for the quality....camera phone.

Attachments

·
Registered
432 Posts
great find! it looks so much better when you see it in person! i love the feel that car has when it is on the streets! it looks so much more expensive in your pictures than it did in the auto show! ill take two!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Jerome81 said:
Hello. My first post. I have had the sky swimming in my mind since seeing auto show photos earlier in the year. My current car is a 97 Mazda Miata, but I have been thinking of upgrading to either the new Miata or the Solstice/Sky. I posted this already in the Miata forum, but just found this one....
Do you remember seeing an external antenna on the rear passenger side? I'm trying to get the answer for many of us readers.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Delnari said:
Do you remember seeing an external antenna on the rear passenger side? I'm trying to get the answer for many of us readers.
those pictures are fuzzy, but they arent that fuzzy... no antenna, and no base for the antenna, just in case the antenna was blurred out. but, good question! :willy: (note silly emoticon to show non-aggressive post, since online, its hard to tell)

honestly, that doesnt surprise me... i wonder if this is just one of the cars from the auto shows. i dont see any of the plastic over the seats or anything like we saw on the solsticeforums when the first solstice was spotted on the road. i bet even if the sky has an antenna on the passanger side, they left it out on this pre-production version, mainly for looks. BUT, im still hoping its not there period! :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No antenna that I saw.

I am quite sure this is the car that was at the autoshows and you see in videos and pictures. The reason I say this is that the tach was frozen just under 3000K RPM, as one of the interior shots on the saturn website shows.

Of course one would think they have more than 1 Sky that makes the rounds, but maybe not.

I didn't see anything on the car that I did or didn't see in photos.

BTW the little slits in the hood look really nice in person.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I believe Jerome' is correct - prolly the ONLY show Sky in existence at this time.

Inside info guidance: the antenna is in the same spot on the sky as it is on the Solstice. ;)

Nice pic :cheers: way to be there with the camera!!!

·
Registered
554 Posts
The reason I bought it up was the Sky is rumor to have not external antenna and a traction control option. Was hoping this was an early model and not the show car.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Delnari said:
The reason I bought it up was the Sky is rumor to have not external antenna and a traction control option. Was hoping this was an early model and not the show car.
i heard that rumer as well... but i dont remember where. im hoping its true. i dont know where they would put the antenna though, since the rear window can be stowed... they almost would need a powered antenna if its going to be under the skin.

·
Registered
554 Posts
swatthefly said:
i heard that rumer as well... but i dont remember where. im hoping its true. i dont know where they would put the antenna though, since the rear window can be stowed... they almost would need a powered antenna if its going to be under the skin.

or windshield intergrated...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Windshield Antenna

Delnari said:
or windshield intergrated...
I just hope if they use a windshield antenna that they do a much better job on the antenna in the windshield than they did with our SSRs. The wire is exposed on the inside in the SSRs and can easily be nicked if not careful when cleaning etc. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Chicago Pics

Hi everyone - my first post. The car looks great; I can't wait to see one in person. I live in Massachusetts and put a $1,000 deposit (refundable) down on a Sky 2 weeks ago. The dealer told me I was first in line. She gave me the calendar that many of you have referred to. I was told that I will not be able to order colors, options, etc (which I could on the Solstice) but that when their first allocation comes in, I have 48 hours to make my choice or I go off the list and get my deposit back. Seems reasonable I guess.

I also have a $1,000 refundable deposit on a Solstice (put down about 3 months ago) and I ordered my color (silver) and options. At the time I did the deposit, I hoped that I would get the car by mid Summer but now it looks like early / late Fall, in which case I'll take a pass. Also, as I have looked more closely at the Sky, I like the looks better (slightly better exterior; significantly better interior) - just my opinion, of course.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts