Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sky/Solstice "a dime a dozen"?

With all the excitement and interest these new roadsters are generating, I think GM will sell so many that they will become common place--especially the Solstice since it's more affordable. "A dime a dozen" as the saying goes. The only way for owners to distinguish their cars will be by modifications such as rims, wider tires, body kits, etc.

I believe this will be the unfortunate outcome of all this hype and excitement surrounding these new cars.

I'm interested to hear viewpoints on this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
At first it would seem that way, but what you forgot is that these cars will be made in low quantities (the exact number escapes me at the moment). I believe the Solstice has a target of around 20000, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
432 Posts
castleking said:
At first it would seem that way, but what you forgot is that these cars will be made in low quantities (the exact number escapes me at the moment). I believe the Solstice has a target of around 20000, but I'm not sure.
SKY = 10,000
SOL = 20,000

and at this rate, even after ten years of production, there will only be 100,000 skys and 200,000 sols. thats about what toyota puts out each year with its camrys/corollas. (guessing) i dont think we will have any problem the first few years. even after ten, this car will still have an exclusivity to it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
swatthefly said:
SKY = 10,000
SOL = 20,000

and at this rate, even after ten years of production, there will only be 100,000 skys and 200,000 sols. thats about what toyota puts out each year with its camrys/corollas. (guessing) i dont think we will have any problem the first few years. even after ten, this car will still have an exclusivity to it.
You've raised a good point, but I think GM will drastically step up production once they realize they have a winner on their hands. And I'm sure they already know that and are already making preparations.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
radtech said:
You've raised a good point, but I think GM will drastically step up production once they realize they have a winner on their hands. And I'm sure they already know that and are already making preparations.
Production is greatly limited by the actual assembly line itself. We've had several very in depth discussions on the Solstice forum about ways to increase production, line rate, and max production values.

Currently one of the slowest parts of the line are all of the hydroformed panels and parts made for this car. The process is slower then stamping, but can create much nicer looking curves and costs less in terms of equipment. I believe we've estimated with two shifts working 8-10 hour days at full line rate they could put out around ~30k Kappas a year. Which is in line with the 20k Sol + 10k Sky + 1k Opels. There are several ways to make more cars, such as add a 3rd shift, work more hours/weekends/holidays, add another entire line (which requires more shifts and equipment), etc.

You also have to remember this is a very impracticle type of vehicle. In the USA/Canada there are only about 100,000 TOTAL Roadsters sold a year. This is not your typical Civic/Mustang which are a dime a dozen type of vehicle. You're limited to at most 2 people, and at most 3.8 cu-ft of trunk space. There are realistically not that many people who are going to give up the conviniences of a normal Coupe/Sedan/SUV to limit themselves greatly.

·
Registered
250 Posts
brentil said:
You also have to remember this is a very impracticle type of vehicle. In the USA/Canada there are only about 100,000 TOTAL Roadsters sold a year. This is not your typical Civic/Mustang which are a dime a dozen type of vehicle. You're limited to at most 2 people, and at most 3.8 cu-ft of trunk space. There are realistically not that many people who are going to give up the conviniences of a normal Coupe/Sedan/SUV to limit themselves greatly.

I'm gonna agree with brentil, practicallity is a big factor. My wife and I are only considering this as our 3rd vehicle. I don't know many people that would take this line of thought. It is a beautiful car, if I did not have the two cars that can be used for groceries and soccer practice, it wouldn't be an option.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah...I think both you guys are right. We can all agree that they are indeed very attractive vehicles, but not practical for most people. And that fact should help keep some exclusivity for owners.

·
Registered
109 Posts
radtech said:
With all the excitement and interest these new roadsters are generating, I think GM will sell so many that they will become common place--especially the Solstice since it's more affordable. "A dime a dozen" as the saying goes. The only way for owners to distinguish their cars will be by modifications such as rims, wider tires, body kits, etc.

I believe this will be the unfortunate outcome of all this hype and excitement surrounding these new cars.

There are in excess of 110,000,000 registered vehicles in USA/Canada.
After 5 years - if the Solstice & Sky meet sales expectations, then one out of every 1,100 vehicles on the road will be a Solstice and one of every 2,200 will be a Sky.
Hardly a dime a dozen, eh, wot? :lol:

·
Registered
5 Posts
mdlestat said:
Gee...I can't wait to be an elitist Sky owner--- :D

The few. The Proud.
It's a verrry small market of people that buy roadsters, i hope GM miscalculate and oversupply the demand, and then i can one up cheap :D

·
Registered
623 Posts
swatthefly said:
SKY = 10,000
SOL = 20,000

All the more reason to get a GXP or RL version, and get it in year one. That's a car that will be "show able" in about 5 years. Especially with a few mods.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I don't think we have too much to worry about as far as a SKY being a dime a dozen on the road.
Pick ANY model of almost ANY car and you'll see that there aren't that many of them. Now you might lump all mini-vans together -- and yes there are a crapload of them, same for big old SUVs, but individual models? I see a good amount of PT cruisers, but a dime a dozen??
Z's? -- Look around. . .
Sure many are more expensive, but two-seaters are just not everyday family cars.
I think even with unprecedented popularity -- just from a practical view -- there won’t be that many out there
:cheers:

·
Registered
304 Posts
I agree, GM is not going to build more than about 30k of these (including 2 or 3 nameplates). It will outsell the Miata in the US but talk about a dime a dozen car that surely is one if Mazda's claim to building well over 100,000 per year worldwode is true although they are currently selling somewhat less than 15k here annualy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't see that this car will be a dime a dozen, GM sells more Corvettes per year than they are planning with both the Sky and Solstice. Besides that, who cares how many you meet on the road, it just means that you have met someone who is having as much fun as you are!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
cupp said:
I don't see that this car will be a dime a dozen, GM sells more Corvettes per year than they are planning with both the Sky and Solstice. Besides that, who cares how many you meet on the road, it just means that you have met someone who is having as much fun as you are!
I hope everyone is planning the old flash and wave every time you meet a brother or sister Sky owner on the road... I know I am...(that is flashing the headlights and waving the hands...) :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
classic66vair said:
I hope everyone is planning the old flash and wave every time you meet a brother or sister Sky owner on the road... I know I am...(that is flashing the headlights and waving the hands...) :D
Having one of only about 2,000 Red Line Vues made in 2004, I know what you mean about how cool "exclusivity" can feel. I still get really jazzed when I see another Red Line Vue "in the wild". I always wave at them and they generally wave back.

Even if there are going to be 10k Skys on the road per year, it is still a fairly rare car. Personally, I'll be waiting for the Red Line Sky. Damn it will be sweet to have two silver nickel Saturn Red Lines parked in my garage! :cool: Dime a dozen my ass!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree it will be a low production car, but sales may, at least for the first 2 or 3 years, exceed expectations. I believe that with these cars Gm has not only tapped into the existing roadster market and is taking sales that would have gone to other manufacturers, they have captured first time roadster buyers. I certainly fall into that category. If you had asked me 6 months ago if I would be buying a roadster, I would have laughed. But I have an order for a Sol. When I saw the car, I just knew I had to have it! And I also think it's a little harder to predict car markets these days, because people have more disposable income and can afford multiple cars, so they can have one that is just their toy. This wasn't true a number of years ago.

·
Registered
3 Posts
radtech said:

Nothing wrong with being dime a dozen. I love my Miata and seeing them everywhere. That's what makes them so affordable to the masses. If you want exclusivity, you have to pay to play. People usually wants to pay more $ for a car, not necessarily for technical advancement or any hardware benefits, just to be able to say that theirs is the only one on the block. :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts