Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
The market wasn't demanding airbags or seat belts, either.

But at this point it's not about the market. It's about what needs to be done to keep the planet in a state that supports humans.

:(

·
Registered
204 Posts
Read in the Feb 2008 issue of Motor Trend that "GM also is considering moving the 2013 Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky from Kappa to Alpha, which include some Kappa bits". GM found it couldn't stretch the Kappa platform adequately to underpin a compact, rear drive sedan, but can shorten the Alpha platform to serve a two-seat sports car. Basically, it will share platforms with the Cadillac CTS. Could this mean the all-wheel drive, 304 hp (or more) direct injection V6?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Read in the Feb 2008 issue of Motor Trend that "GM also is considering moving the 2013 Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky from Kappa to Alpha, which include some Kappa bits". GM found it couldn't stretch the Kappa platform adequately to underpin a compact, rear drive sedan, but can shorten the Alpha platform to serve a two-seat sports car. Basically, it will share platforms with the Cadillac CTS. Could this mean the all-wheel drive, 304 hp (or more) direct injection V6?
:lol: :glol: :lol: :glol: :lol:
You're gonna need this:
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=290&d=1131119038

Don't forget, it was motor trend that said the next 5-passenger Sunfire would be kappa based, and RWD. And the V6 Stingray was coming on the kappa platform in 2008. And the V8 is a definite go. And the next version of the solstice was ABSOLUTELY SUPERCHARGED. And in 2007, Vauxhall was going to get a SUPERCHARGED version of the kappa, but Vauxhall would be enlisting lotus to re-design the suspension.

And so far, they have had the worst made-up prognostications I've ever seen. Given their track record, I would think that you can pretty much take whatever they are projecting, and you'd be better off believing the OPPOSITE. ;)

Besides, future of many of the performance-related cars is in an upheaval since the new mileage standards were signed. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Read the words carefully. The keyword here is "considering". Keep in mind when the Solstice was being designed, they "considered" the delta platform. In fact, they tried very very hard to go with the delta. It didn't work. Then they "considered" the Corvette platform. It didn't work. In the end, they had to develop a brand new platform...the kappa.

Any automaker is always "considering" options to save costs. Look what they did with the Alpha. It has kappa parts. The more you can overlap, the more you can save through volume sourcing. So now GM is developing the alpha platform. I'm sure the engineers are looking at alpha and asking themselves, "Can we wrap a Solstice or SKY around this baby"? CONSIDERING. It happens all the time. They would be stupid not to consider an option to apply the alpha to Solstice and SKY. Maybe it will work....maybe not. Nothing wrong with "considering" options.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Dealer Confirmation

The dealership I got my redline from confirmed that they will start next year building the Sky at the Corvette plant. He also speculated that the price will go up 5-8K because of this move.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
The dealership I got my redline from confirmed that they will start next year building the Sky at the Corvette plant. He also speculated that the price will go up 5-8K because of this move.
I wouldn't rely too heavily on what a dealership has to say regarding production and plant issues. The dealerships tend to be pretty uninformed about that kind of stuff, and are usually just passing on the same sort of rumors everyone else hears.

I'm pretty sure Wilmington Delaware has a Union contract for at least a few more years. I thought the move to Bowling Green was more like 2012 or 2013.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Sounds like a convenient story to help them move existing inventory out the door: "Ooooo! Look out for that big scary price increase. Better get one now while you can still afford it."

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
by next year you mean 2010, because they can't move until the contract is up

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm wondering how this pending CAFE legislation will affect the Sky/Solstice. The fuel mileage on the Kappa cars is not that great, and although there arn't a lot of them, it will cost GM a lot of money to make them more fuel efficient. Perhaps so much that it may be a wiser coporate decision to just kill them, at least for the time being.

Larry4pyro
I would think the solstice coupe is a direct result of the tightened CAFE regs. The kappas' so-so mileage is due to the fact that it's a convertible with a Cd of about .40. If you assume that the coupe is at least as slippery as say a cobalt, then the mileage is going to jump up to the same as the 2008 cobalt's plus an extra 15% for the direct injection. The 2008 2.2 liter cobalt gets 33 mpg, that would mean the coupe should get somewhere around 35-36 mpg on the highway as long as you can keep your foot out of it.

The

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Already two long threads on this subject. Someone lock this one, please!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Lock it why? I think this is interesting, I read both pages. Anyway, with the rear end gear being a 3.91 (5spd 2.4) and first gear being what 3.75 or something like that, gas mileage wont' be that good. Plus the chunky weight of our roadsters. A 6spd would more than compliment our cars with properly spaced ratio's. Not the 2-3 shift spacing our 5spds have. But I don't think a V6 would be better for our cars because having what it has is what has made it a good low cost entry level car. The turbo's are what starting at close to 30K, for me that's to much for this car. Plus the 2.0 is capable of enough power for our roadsters. JMO

Jay

·
Registered
68 Posts
that's the rumor i have heard.... dead by 2010
heard it straight from my dad and he is international future product committee man for GM.... GM is actually losing money building these cars and my Uncle who was on the launch team for the Fiero is saying the same thing as well.
sad day.

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
heard it straight from my dad and he is international future product committee man for GM.... GM is actually losing money building these cars and my Uncle who was on the launch team for the Fiero is saying the same thing as well.
sad day.
How are they losing money on these cars? Is it no one is buying them??? SteveSky67

·
Registered
32 Posts
sad day.

The Kappa may go, but the name and car will stay.. Think ALPHA..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Can we start making reservations for the Mecca Tour 2012??? What date in May?
The last I read in the Bowling Green newspaper was that the union had approved the move. I haven't spoken to any aquaintances that I have working there.

As far as a Mecca Tour being held in BG, better get in line. Having lived there for 10 years, every year from May-August there is some kind of car show, gathering, etc there almost every weekend. It would be great to do that, there is a raceway.. Beech Bend where those who wanted could go do the 1/4 and 1/2 mile runs.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
production cost is how they are losing money.....
it's limited production.
I'm not buying that. It was limited production from the get go, and the business case accounted for the limited production. If GM isn't seeing a return equal to or exceeding its investment, don't blame it on production costs. That may be a symptom, but it's not the reason.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Have you all seen what they are going to do to the Solstice?
2009 SOLSTICE COUPE Unveiled! Official Announcement (reveal @ NY Auto Show) - Pontiac Solstice Forum

Hope they don't do it to the Sky as well. I don't like it. For me it's all about the humps on the trunk.
I don't care for it either. It's ok but why don't they just make a hardtop for it instead of totally taking out the convertible top and making it a coupe? Well it's no longer a roadster which I thought was the whole point of both of these cars.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts