Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was thinking of replacing my Sky trunk carpet with a brand new one. Searching the web, I learned the following which is crazy.

Solstice
part number: 20783376
price: $61.04
see by CLICKING HERE (you must also input "2008 Pontiac Solstice" to see the right part)

Sky
part number: 20834862
price: $764.31
see by CLICKING HERE (you must input "2007 Saturn Sky")

Are the two pre-shaped trunk carpets interchangeable? I see the Pontiac version does not have the access cover for the fuel pump, but I can work with that if it is the only difference.

Shipping on either one is extremely expensive, but I think I can avoid those charges by buying through an area dealership.

Has anyone installed a Solstice trunk carpet into a Sky?

·
Super Moderator
5,253 Posts
You are looking at two completely different things.

The Sky part is the fiberglass tub that is bonded into the chassis to form the trunk.

The Solstice part is the trunk liner (molded carpet) for the Coupe.

The trunks of the Sky and Solstice Roadster are different in any case. The stiffening ribs in the Sky are not present in the Solstice, and I believe, but am not certain, that the overall shape is different also. In general I think that they are not interchangeable, or even modifiable for good fit, but it won't surprise me to be told that someone has done it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
John,

I knew someone was going to reply as you did. If you input a 2008 Pontiac Solstice for the application, the correct part is displayed. I couldn't include it in the web-link, so I just now put in a note for instruction.

·
Super Moderator
5,253 Posts
John,

I knew someone was going to reply as you did. If you input a 2008 Pontiac Solstice for the application, the correct part is displayed. I couldn't include it in the web-link.
OK. That doesn't change the fact that the Sky part you linked to is the tub, and not the carpet.

It would also have helped to include that note in your original post.

·
Premium Member
5,185 Posts
Have you tried any local salvage yards. These parts are normally available and seem to be seldom damaged. I have had 5 of these things, from salvage to like new and none of the trunk liners were hurt. I have one, but the shipping of it is a pain in the butt I am sure.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
After further researching part numbers with no supporting conclusion, I decided to order the part previously discussed. Buying it locally saved me hundreds on shipping. Here are all the details.

Part Number: 20783376, for a 2008 Pontiac Solstice
Cost to me ordered and picked up from a local Chevy dealer with local sales tax: $97.98 (no shipping charges)
The pressure relief grille looks weird from see-thru shadows, but is normal, see next picture.

Included is the pressure-relief grille not in the first generation carpets.

Part Number 20834862, for a 2007 Saturn Sky
Internet prices vary, but in the ball park of $765 (plus $220 in shipping for a total of roughly $1000)
Here is the one removed from my 2007 Saturn Sky. I didn't like the wear mostly from the convertible top seen just to the right and left of the arc'd holes, right side worn-thru.

Here you can more easily see the differences. I think most variations are seamless, but will know more after I install it. The only significance looks to be related to the tail lights and fix-a-flat strap area. I think the rest are simple improvements made in subsequent model years. The material can be trimmed very easily with scissors.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,253 Posts
The struts at the rear of the compartment are the one thing I like better about the Solstice, since it does not have them. I'm not sure what the reasoning was, but the absence of them gives the Solstice a much more usable trunk.

Something that you might want to do while you have the liner out is to insulate the floor. Many of us have used a couple of layers of the foil-backed "bubble wrap" insulation that you can buy at home improvement stores. It drastically reduces the heat that the muffler puts into the trunk during a longish drive.

I also put a layer of it under the passenger side carpet, both floor and tunnel, for the same reason.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,562 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Where were you last week?

I decided not to hack up the new Solstice trunk carpet. It is now for sale on Craigslist (Chicago area) including installation for $175. CLICK HERE to see my ad.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,562 Posts

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,562 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts