Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all those folks who have had the privellege to actually have driven a sky, i have a question. Is the sound Really good? I hear its really throaty which is cool....but in lots of reviews they down it and say its a bad sound...whats your thoughts? i wanna get a cold air but if its too loud already im not sure

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Mine is stock - no mods, yet - and I like the sound. Not to 'ricy', not too loud, just right for an off the showroom floor stock roadster.

my .02
:D

·
Registered
149 Posts
I like the sound it's throaty and mellow, not to loud.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Remember these are the same critics, some of which claim it takes 10 MINUTES to put the top up (I could sew a new one in that time).:banghead:
The sound (stock) is not as low a throaty as a V8 -- but it sure sounds better that these little "Fast & Furious" wanna-bees.... :lol:
I have to admit it took awhile before I heard the sound from OUTSIDE the car as I was the only SKY around -- but after being around a few -- it sounds fine. And with CAI and if you decide to do any exhaust mods -- it gets better.:thumbs:

·
Registered
113 Posts
The stock sound was OK..but when I added my twin CAI the car came alive and once I add the shortys and ECM tune then I will really have a to say....

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
The stock sound was OK..but when I added my twin CAI the car came alive and once I add the shortys and ECM tune then I will really have a to say....
I just installed the dual intake CAI also. Definitely a richer, throatier tone. Under normal driving conditions, I would have to say that it is not considerably louder than the stock intake. In fact, I have noticed that at cruising speeds, it seems quieter to me. Downshift and put a boot in it though and it roars!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just installed the dual intake CAI also. Definitely a richer, throatier tone. Under normal driving conditions, I would have to say that it is not considerably louder than the stock intake. In fact, I have noticed that at cruising speeds, it seems quieter to me. Downshift and put a boot in it though and it roars!
I havent seen any dual cai's! whats a good make? K&N doesnt make any cai's for the sky yet does it?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Saturnmotorsports has the only one I know of at this point check them out...

·
Registered
804 Posts
I personally think the sound is like a normal car sound, nothing special. It's a 4 banger, how exciting can it be? The style is where the looks come from, not the grumble.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Stock exhaust and valve train are nice, not too loud at highway cruise....

You might find that at the higher RPMs, you hear a lot more cam noise than you'd expect from a Detroit machine.

No, it doesn't quite sound like a sewing machine like a Porsche, but my race buddies first comment on hearing me drive up was, "Wow! It's got a cam in it! We heard you from way down the street."

Having said that, what you will also find is that for long cruises at highway speeds, the exhaust is remarkably quiet. In point of fact, inside the car with the top up in the manual transmission car, you hear more drive line noise at freeway cruise than either of the other three sources, intake, valve train (cam), or exhaust.

Yet, with the top down, pop the throttle and the exhaust will bark quite nicely.

Then, too with the manual, it's fairly easy to chirp the tires from first to second with a good firm shift....

It's a nice balance. Drive it for a while stock before you put on an aftermarket exhaust.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just HATE reading reviews on cars cuz it seems like propaganda!!! Like certain companies paid them to say certain things. it ANNOYS ME!! :brentil: I mean they have to find something wrong with it. in motortrend (i believe) they say something like "Pros- great styling with power and affordibillity" and then they have to find something wrong with it so they rant about how the window button is inconveniently placed. LAME. Its good to hear that the owners who drive them a bunch like the sound :)

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
And with a little tweaking you can make them really growl. I've heard lots of stock SKYs, and the Magnaflow and Kappa exhausts, but mine is definitely the deepest sounding of them all.

At the Mulholland run I was about #8 of 22 cars, and one of the drivers from the very end of the line said, "Man! We can hear your car growl whenever you punch it all the way at the end of the line..."

For me, my favorite trick is to be making a sharp right and seeing all the cars waiting at the light as I turn right. I put it into second, and release the clutch and punch it while making the 90-degree intersection turn at about 30mph... The tires give the slightest chirp, and then the deep growl kicks in. As I go around the corner I see every driver waiting at the light staring at me with the inquisitive look of "what the @&#$! kind of car just made THAT sound?" Sometimes their mouths are literally hanging open, and that's just priceless.

I think I'm gonna have to have Borla engineer a new exhaust for my Red Line, too...

·
Registered
308 Posts
Stock exhaust with CAI

Matman,
We have this combination and are pleased with it. Since we have a few miles on the car,(4000 miles) the stock exhaust has become throatier. It has a pleasant sound level for cruising. When you step on it, the CAI growls.
I have a loud exhaust on the TR6, and while it is a lot of fun making heads turn, it gets old on a trip. The Sky may be even worse with a loud exhaust because a four cylinder engine lugging at low RPMs is not as good as a six.
I really want a dual exhaust set up, but at this point, I am going to see if a stock redline exhaust will become available.
The SKy is too pleasant to drive as is. I don't want to ruin the experience with a loud droning exhaust note. It would be great to have a system that "kicked in" only above a certain RPM.

Any high performance redline owners out there - please contact me when you remove your stock system for a high performance one!
:)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am quite pleased with the throaty sound. I too have a CAI (GM version) and it does growl some when I punch it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I am quite pleased with the throaty sound. I too have a CAI (GM version) and it does growl some when I punch it.
The CAI does give a nice deep sound and really does make a different in pep. I had the Saturn version installed after 2 weeks of driving with regular air cleaner and you do get more power. Photo of GM CAI among pictures in My Gallery.

·
Registered
692 Posts
The GM CAI, sounds great! Like a Badger being poked in a cage with a stick!:lol:

I have first hand experience now:
Drove her to my garage tonite!!
Imaged 23/06/06
KGKH3X
BUILD WEEK! 31JUL06 – 06AUG06
4200 Shipped 8/14/06
AT THE DEALERSHIP 8/30/06
IN MY GARAGE 8/31/06
Midnight Blue
Tan Leather Inserts
Tan Top
Manual