Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered the Sky Red Line with the updgraded monsoon sound system, mainly for the mp3 option (all I listen to in current car). My question is this, after test driving I know I am going to want to upgrade my sound system to some degree. I have played the drums for so long I am a little sound challenged:) I would love to get more bass, but wonder where an amp and another sub-woofer could go givivng the limited space. Anyone who has done some upgrades or who has some good advice and will share is thanked in advance.:cool:

·
Registered
316 Posts
listening as i would liek to know as well.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I love my system stock it has nice bass and rocks the car as is. I have a Sidekick with a system in it and a box with 2 MTX 10" 4000 and a 650w Alpine amp and my kids and I think the SKY sounds better then it. If anything i would just upgrade the 8" sub to maybe a butter grade sub. Just my .02

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! It may be better than I am thinking, couldn't really put it to the "full" test with the salesman in the car.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Check JL

At some point in the near future Im almost positive that JL audio will make a stealth box for our car.... Is there any truth to this.....to quote my salesmen...."If you take the stock radio out you will lose Onstar..." Is there an adapter or anything?

Cheers!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would think upgrading a sound system in a convertable would be risky. The reason for going with the best stock radio is so no one wants to steal it.
Its been a long time since someone has tried to steal my radio, but then I stopped buying systems after my car purchase.
I may change a speaker out if it needs, but I will stick with the Monsoon.

·
Registered
653 Posts
scbulldog said:
I ordered the Sky Red Line with the updgraded monsoon sound system, mainly for the mp3 option (all I listen to in current car).
Just so you know, you don't need the monsoon system to have the mp3 option. The stock, base-line stereo is a single disc, CD/MP3 player, and has the AUX input jack. The 'Monsoon' upgrade is just a change to the speakers, unless you got the 6-CD changer as well. But again, both the single disc and 6-CD versions will play MP3 CDs, and both have the AUX jack.

Especially if you are planning to upgrade the sound in the future, the Monsoon system is not worth it, IMO.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ken said:
At some point in the near future I'm almost positive that JL audio will make a stealth box for our car.... Is there any truth to this.....to quote my salesmen...."If you take the stock radio out you will lose Onstar..." Is there an adapter or anything?

Cheers!
If you change out the head unit with a after market head unit you will loss the steering wheel option and the Onstar as of now till they come out with a head unit that will work with these.

As for changing anything out I my self would make some upgrades but not till my 3 year 36,000 mile warranty is up. Why change something out you can use and if it brakes you get a new one for free. Just my .02

P.S. the monsoon is more then worth it.

·
Registered
653 Posts
LiveWire said:
P.S. the monsoon is more then worth it.
For $700? Is it really that much better than the stock system? What I want to know is why is the Monsoon system a $700 upgrade, while the Advanced Audio system for the IONs was only a $300 upgrade. I'm not an audiophile, but I know the difference between decent and good sounding systems. I've not had a chance to hear a SKY with the Monsoon system, but I was pretty impressed with the stock system. So, does it really make that much difference to be worth $700?

·
Registered
444 Posts
I have the upgraded Monsoon system in my regular Sky with XM and 6 disc.

I have had the car for 2 months now..

The difference vs the base system is very noticable.

The unit, in my mind is just as good as any Bose system I have heard as the cabin in this car is very small.

Also, you can "crank" up the volume with no distortion at all.

Base is very impressive.

I will be getting the same system on my RL.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ok

Thanks for the info about changing the stock radio and losing onstar.... Didn;t even think about the steering wheel buttons... I bet there will be an adapter at some point....and the monsoon system definitely sounds good...I had no idea the base system had an aux jack... that was the main reason why I opted foe the monsoon.

·
Registered
59 Posts
There is a HUGE sound difference between the standard and Monsoon systems. It's worth the price.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I was told by my salesrep that the base (stock) system will not play MP3s. I figure it'll just force me to finally get an Ipod. I can't see paying another $700 bucks for the system upgrade..I'm already be forced to buy a $3000 alarm system that's worth about $600.:mad:

·
Registered
653 Posts
Well....let's see. My ION Redline from '04 has the single disc CD and it plays MP3s like a champ. I know Saturn's website doesn't specifically say it, but I'm 100% positive the regular CD player will handle MP3s, even without the Monsoon system.

Will have to check with my wife on the Monsoon then, since everyone says it is so nice. Though, I imagine we'll have the top down 90% of the time, so hearing your music at that point isn't ahigh priority anyway.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Superman said:
Well....let's see. My ION Redline from '04 has the single disc CD and it plays MP3s like a champ. I know Saturn's website doesn't specifically say it, but I'm 100% positive the regular CD player will handle MP3s, even without the Monsoon system.

Will have to check with my wife on the Monsoon then, since everyone says it is so nice. Though, I imagine we'll have the top down 90% of the time, so hearing your music at that point isn't ahigh priority anyway.
The monsoon system has a menu that gives you speed adjustment for listening with top down up to 120 MPH. After that speed you won't care what is playing...Skip... Adjustment gives you LOW, MEDIUM, or HIGH....I find it quite addiquite for playing jams at high speed on a dark deserted highway with the moon light pointing the way.....SKIP...:) :) :)

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Also the thumper behind the passenger seat is good for giving vibrating back rubs. It will also vibrate the water off the mirrors. Wakes the neighbors up late at nite iffen ya want too....Skip...:) :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
What size sub?

Anyone know what size Sub is included with the mosoon system? 8"? 10"?

·
Registered
9 Posts
My iPod is full...and waiting...
now if I only could order the car!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Superman said:

Top down the system rocks man!! I have a Sidekick that I had the top off all the time and had to have the thing 3/4 volume to get a nice sound at 65/70 mph but I'm telling you the Monsoon system pushes the power and sounds great with the speed control volume. Plus the installation is so clean that you done even now what you have till you pump up the volume.

My Sidekick has a Pioneer super tuner top of the line head unit 2 RF 3 1/2" front with 1" Tweeters 2 RF 6" with 2" tweeters in the rear and 2 MT 4000 10" subs in the back with a 650w Alpine Amp and I would have to say that the Monsoon in my SKY sound clear and as much bass. I have more then $700 buck in my Sidekick and i love my Toons when driving the open road.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts