Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
18,850 Posts
I always thought our rear spoiler should have come from the factory with LEDs. It would have added that EXTRA. Congratulations on your install. Excellent write up as previously noted. Would love to see this in person but that will not happen and I would not be happy removing spoiler.

·
Registered
2008 Sky Redline - Manual - Emerald Metallic
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mike
Rob the Elder is going to mount this on Green Dragon (Sky). He indicated he will attempt it without removing the Spoiler. Might keep an eye on that.
Strobe

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All,
Agent008 posted on the Solstice Forum the question of the rear lamps sharing Brake and Turn Functions. Should point out that the Opel GT actually uses separate Amber turn segments in the Tail Lights. Appears the wiring bundle on the US models does not provide that breakout.
In developing this Mod; I did locate the turn signals on the BCM P1 Connection Block. I ran a two wire to the rear location of the car from the BCM. In testing I opted to use the Brake/Turn signal in the wire bundle. The two wire is still in there. I forgot why I opted to use the Bundle Wires. I will re-study this and update this thread.
Thanks Agent008 for bring this up.
Strobe

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LED Bar Wiring Update
LONG VERSION: The wiring I posted in the PDF utilizes the Car's Rear Harness and a chassis bolt for Ground. When I began this mod I located the signals on the BCM. I also installed a two wire bundle from the BCM Turn Signal connections to the area in the rear where the Rear Harness would be intercepted. This was because I was aware of the dual circuits to the Sky Taillights. I did not use those wires as I ran into a problem with the Auto Light Function. Turns out that had nothing to due with the turn signals. I discovered that the Ground connection I had used in the Rear Harness did not provide a ground all the time! This was the issue with the Auto Light Function. I neglected to recheck this after I connect to an actual chassis bolt for ground. Using the chassis bolt for ground cleared up the lighting issues.
I just completed a recheck of the wiring and discovered that the BCM connections will in-fact only activate with actual turn signals.
SHORT VERSION: Utilizing the wiring described in the PDF will cause the LED Bar Amber Sections to works exactly as the Taillights.
This revision to the wiring will isolate the LED Bar Amber Segments to act as Turn Indicators ONLY.
Run a two wire bundle from the BCM > Under Door Sill > Up Rear Seat Bulkhead > into trunk > to Rear Harness Location.
BCM Connections:
X1/P1 Block Connector (Upper Left on BCM)
Pin 17 Right Turn
Pin 35 Left Turn
Pin 17 is one end of the block and Pin 35 is 2 rows right above....I Think!! Check a circuit diagram!
Reconnect the Pigtail Turn signal leads to the two wire bundle.
I had to wait on a Power Probe Tool to arrive to run these checks. Following Sage Advice!!

Strobe

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I always thought our rear spoiler should have come from the factory with LEDs. It would have added that EXTRA. Congratulations on your install. Excellent write up as previously noted. Would love to see this in person but that will not happen and I would not be happy removing spoiler.
Mike,
Just completed this for a fellow club member. Did not want the spoiler removed. I went that route originally when I was working this mod out as I had no idea what to expect.
IT CAN BE DONE WITHOUT REMOVING SPOILER!!
Remove the Push Plugs on the side of the spoiler where you have elected the LED Bar Cable to enter the Spoiler. Driver's Side is best due to Rubber Bellows. On the Lower Single Bolt Hole, drill a hole in the Crescent which is to the outside of the spoiler. Next mount the LED Bar and drill the hole for the LED Cable to enter the Spoiler.
Get some pliable wire and Go Fishing!! A little difficult put much less time intensive than removing spoiler!

Strobe

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Would you mind providing the link to the exact LED bar you used?
Strobe

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After excellent feedback and more experience doing this Mod I have revamped the PDF Guide.
Sky Spoilers DO NOT Require Removal for Install.​
Solstice Install is covered!​
THREE Methods for Install are shown.​

Contributors are listed in the PDF.
Many THANKS to all contributors!!

Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Automotive lighting Car

Strobe

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts