Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Picked up my new ride 5-13 ... 5-14 wife & I were out visiting friends ... wife was thirsty ... stopped my a local hamburger establishment for a coke ... as we pulled in, a new Toyota GT coupe with temporary paper plates was backing out ... he let me pass him by ... we ordered the coke and pulled into the waiting line ... the guy in the Toyota moved up along side the passenger window and motioned for us to roll down the window ... he yelled "Beautiful car!" ... I noticed he was about my age (early fifties) he had a grayish white goatee ... obviously he had just gotten his dream car as well ... he added the most appropriate commentary yet about our desire for these drop dead beautiful cars when he said ... "isn't male menopause wonderful!":lol:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Picked mine up Friday night. Saturday afternoon hubby and I were crusing on the freeway when a car pulled next to us and yelled "thats a Saturn?" I yelled back "yea, can you believe it?" To which he answered "No, looks great" I gave him the thumbs up and mashed the gas....:lol:
PS, when we were at the gas station, some guy stopped my hubby and asked him "Is that a Viper?"

·
Registered
266 Posts
bubbacc said:
Picked up my new ride 5-13 ... 5-14 wife & I were out visiting friends ... wife was thirsty ... stopped my a local hamburger establishment for a coke ... as we pulled in, a new Toyota GT coupe with temporary paper plates was backing out ... he let me pass him by ... we ordered the coke and pulled into the waiting line ... the guy in the Toyota moved up along side the passenger window and motioned for us to roll down the window ... he yelled "Beautiful car!" ... I noticed he was about my age (early fifties) he had a grayish white goatee ... obviously he had just gotten his dream car as well ... he added the most appropriate commentary yet about our desire for these drop dead beautiful cars when we said ... "isn't male menopause wonderful!":lol:
So glad you are enjoying the best years of your life!...also glad you have allowed a little middle aged crazy...rock on

·
Registered
160 Posts
:D You cant imagine the comments I had driving my SKY home - 1817 miles. Every gas stop, restaurant, motel, rest area and passers by (many of these :thumbs: ). A lot of "what is it". I was getting a bit weary by the time I got home. Then, one of my neighbors stopped and then another......I decided to drive it in the garage to get a break from it. The next day was to the MVD for tags. The clerk just looked at me and the SKY parked up front and she said "that's got to be yours!).
It's interesting on the age group that asked the most questions. My guess would be late 40's to 50's and beyond. Not many younger ones with their "rice burners". They merely stared.
:cheers:

·
Registered
266 Posts
It's interesting on the age group that asked the most questions. My guess would be late 40's to 50's and beyond. Not many younger ones with their "rice burners". They merely stared.
:cheers:[/QUOTE]

...perhaps an appreciation for great styling come with vintage...:)

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
I have had kids (well, when you get close to 50 anyone younger is a kid), one in a Honda and another in a Acura take pictures of the Sky as they drove by me. A bit flattering, but also a bit dangerous.:eek:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
'Nother Sky Story

Took it to church Sunday night ... after services, when I walked out of the building, there was a crowd around my car ... a friend (retired school teacher) walked over to see what was going on. As she approached, she said ..." I've always wanted a convertable ... we rented one when we went to Hawaii last year ... it was a blast to drive ... now looking at this one makes me want one even more ... I've got to leave right now ... I'm starting to sin ... lusting after my neighbor's car!":lol:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Every single day since i've had the car I've gotten at least one compliment. I've had some crazy ones like people beeping and then yelling while driving next to me at 65mph, and in just about every parking lot I pull into.

It was fun at first, but it does get a little old now, especially when i'm in a rush. Some people will come up to me in a parking lot and ask a hundred questions about it, want to look under the hood, in the trunk, inside...most of the time I say i'm in a rush now just to get away, lol.

It is cool though, and to date, mine is the only SKY i've seen on the road, so that part is sorta cool too. Its just getting old. The attention is fun for a while though, enjoy it! :thumbs:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Reactions

We did not buy the Sky to be "show offs", however it can not be helped!

The reactions from people are great entertainment.:eek:

Some people rush up to you and immediately start asking a million questions.
Others try to not let you know they're looking, but you catch them anyway.
We pulled into one store, heard an upstairs window open and two guys yelling "great car!"
Many people exhibit the various techniques of driving forward while looking backwards (at the Sky)!
I had a guy walk up to me and ask me to leave town..."Too many people are getting neck strain staring at your car"!
Every hot car on the road with a loud exhaust performs demonstrations for us.
One guy with a greased up subaru (big spoiler, stove pipe exhaust, etc) commented to his buddy "well its about time Saturn made a car that looked halfway decent" ( that was a compliment:) )
People on the side of the road point and stare.

We never would have believed any car could generate such a reaction from all types of people. The Fun Factor is extremely high.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
You know, I'm reading these posts, and then telling my husband, "listen to this one...". All of the reactions are so true. For us, it's even 1,000 times more because we live in Los Angeles. There are a bazillion cars on the road of all types. We see tons and tons of cars over $100,000 inclusive of the top-of-the-line Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Astin Martins, etc. And it's not uncommon. And they're not all movie stars. There are a lot of filthy stinking rich people in Los Angeles that drive filthy stinking expensive rides. On my way to work daily, I see at least 5-10 Mercedes 500SLs, AMG55s, BMW M5s, Audi A8s -even A12s from time to time. And on the weekends, there are a ton of Lotus', Ferraris, etc. But NO ONE, I mean NO ONE can peg the SKY. It is truly amazing the reactions you get. People walking on the street watch you go by and stare, on the freeways, I see people staring and pointing through my side-view mirror, in parking lots, I walk away from my car to come back to a crowd. It's unbelievable. And the ride is great. I LOVE being in a convertible.... I take deep breaths on the way to work and love it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Maverick said:
AnhCung, if you want pics now, check IslandHoppers posts he has several good pics of his SKY and it is beautiful.

I can't believe I missed the post with pics of the Polar white Sky. Thats the same color I ordered. I searched for the pics. Finally found them. Thanks for pointing that out Maverick. Many Thanks to IslandHoppers.:cheers:

Rocky has good pics too. I don't ever get tired of seeing this car.

·
Registered
72 Posts
bubbacc said:
Took it to church Sunday night ... after services, when I walked out of the building, there was a crowd around my car ... a friend (retired school teacher) walked over to see what was going on. As she approached, she said ..." I've always wanted a convertable ... we rented one when we went to Hawaii last year ... it was a blast to drive ... now looking at this one makes me want one even more ... I've got to leave right now ... I'm starting to sin ... lusting after my neighbor's car!":lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Priceless story:thumbs:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Elvis sighting

A coworker came in my office today and told me to look outside at my Sky. There was Elvis taking photos of it.... Okay, an Elvis impersonator - but still quite amusing to see.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
jonm said:
A coworker came in my office today and told me to look outside at my Sky. There was Elvis taking photos of it.... Okay, an Elvis impersonator - but still quite amusing to see.
That's great! Too bad you couldn't take a picture of Elvis taking a picture of your car.... that would have been CLASSIC!!!!

·
Super Moderator
11,446 Posts
I had one thumbs up today while I was at lunch. Then on the way home a guy pulled up next to me and hollard (top was finally down since the rain stopped for a while)...

"Since when did Saturn start making cool cars like THAT!?"

About three months ago I told him.

Then I picked up my son not 4 minutes after that conversation and when my friend who he was staying with came out and saw the car she said "THAT'S a SATURN!?" I'm seeing a pattern here. She was even impressed...

...of course the disturbing trend is I've been asked four times if I think I'm having my midlife crisis a little early...WTF is up with that? LOL

·
Registered
115 Posts
Many postive responses

I have had the experience (TWICE) people have taken cell phone pictures of my Chilli Pepper Red - chrome 18" rims Sky. Last night driving home I had a red Solstice that came along side. Kinda neat. Boy did that turn heads on the highway! I still prefer the looks of the Sky!! :driving:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Looks, Looks, and More Looks

Yep, no slowing down of people looking at the car. I LOVE IT! We bought the car more of a SHOW OFF!

Day's I drive it to work there is a steady flow of cars pulling off the main road, stopping in the parking lot to check the car out, then going on their way. Several times I've viewed lookers on the ground looking under the car. That's a sight to see guys in white dress shirts & ties on the ground. Most are 30+ years old. Rarely are "youngins" checking it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Too Many to list

I have had too many instances to list. a couple of the best were once at a park a guy came up and wanted to take pictures of my car, he took about 10, and then said he was sending them to his brother in floriday, he didn't believe Saturn made a sportscar... then he asked me how much, 40K? 50K?
when I said no 26K he about fainted....
This past Sunday I was out riding and I passed about 5 motocycles, when i got to the next stoplight one pulled right up behind me and i could hear him talking to the guy beside him saying what a hot car it was, then he hollard at me and asked me what it was, when I said Saturn, I heard the other guy say, I told you that was A Saturn....They sure have made a fantastic car there....

1 - 20 of 77 Posts