Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the link. There is good info there but:
Interestingly, Opel recently announced the introduction of a future compact convertible model that will sport an electro-hydraulically operated, retractable steel roof. GM says little about the new Saturn Sky's convertible top operation, but if it shares architecture with Opel's new roadster, which may make sense, a retractable hardtop could be on the way.
But then, next to that paragraph, they show a picture of an obviously non-Kappa, front wheel driven compact! Blah, blah, blah, yadda, yadda....
No matter how well the two roadsters perform on the sales charts, however, the Solstice and Sky will fulfill their first duty of providing an image enhancing halo over the brands each represents, attracting new buyers into their respective dealer showrooms and improving morale among sales staff.
Oh, I hadn't thought about the added benifit of "improving morale among sales staff".... "We will spend whatever it takes to make our knowledgeable sales staff content!! Anything else is just an added bonus!".... Now it makes sense! :smile

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Ok, if the Sky has the roof that is from the car they refrence and show in that article then it's the Tigra TwinTop. If any of the cars are inspired by this design then you'll want to go to Opel's website and click the "Tigra TwinTop" and view the ADSL flash movies.

http://www.opel.com/home.html

It's really spiffy. They show how the electric top works on that small car, how it uses trunk space, how much stuff you can fit in the trunk (two golf bags apparently), and a really spiffy storage compartment behind the front seats like we've speculated with the Solstice.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
... GM says little about the new Saturn Sky's convertible top operation, but if it shares architecture with Opel's new roadster, which may make sense, a retractable hardtop could be on the way. ...
Indicates to me that this article is merely speculating on the top. I'd expect to have a manual-only operated cloth or vinyl top like the Solstice.

Anyone seen any expected Sky sales volumes quoted? Can't seem to see any. Maybe we (I) have to wait for the NAIAS...

·
Registered
727 Posts
I agree with Solsticeman. The article is just speculating that since Opel has suggested a new roadster, and the Sky is a new roadster with Opel styling cues, then maybe an Opel concept with a steel roof will see production in the Sky. A lot of iffs.

Word from GM is that the Sky will be priced about the same as the Solstice. Therefore, I wouldn’t expect any dramatic differences in equipment such as a different top. Chances are they will share the same top and it will be cloth.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The SKY is a woman's car. If you find yourself interested or excited about it, you might want to check your balls.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SNYPER said:
The SKY is a woman's car. If you find yourself interested or excited about it, you might want to check your balls.
Dude, get real...it's basically the same as Solstice with different skin.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Where's a moderator when you need one?

·
Registered
36 Posts
SNYPER said:
you contribute so much to this site, i cannot imagine how it would be without you here...

·
Registered
727 Posts
SNYPER said:
:rolleyes

Nobody has even seen the actual final car yet! Just a sketch from GM and some supposed spy shots of an Opel which could be the Sky (but also may not since it appeared to be based on the original Solstice concept and not the production car).

Until people even buy and demographics can be looked at, we have no idea who it is going to ultimately appeal to.

Heck, Solstice could end up appealing and selling to women more than men. Will you then be embarrassed because you have a woman’s car, while all the ultra-macho dudes are cruising in their Saturn’s?

·
Registered
5 Posts
brentil said:
It's really spiffy. They show how the electric top works on that small car, how it uses trunk space, how much stuff you can fit in the trunk (two golf bags apparently), and a really spiffy storage compartment behind the front seats like we've speculated with the Solstice.
I'd love a retractable hardtop but doubt either the Solstice/Sky will get one. Much less road noise when the top is up, greater rigidity, not slashable and they usually look nicer than cloth. Sure they weigh more but they could use reinforced fiberglass to cut down on that. For those of us that don't live in places where it is summer year round I think the pluses of hardtops are very appealing. If only the new SLK350 was about $20,000 cheaper.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Oh wow, you're right. Saturn/GM really needs to get their PR people on that. Because personally, I wouldn't want any product being thought of as the old Sky concept.

·
Registered
727 Posts
brentil said:
Oh wow, you're right. Saturn/GM really needs to get their PR people on that. Because personally, I wouldn't want any product being thought of as the old Sky concept.
Unfortunately GM should have thought of that before announcing that they were naming the new roadster the Sky. By giving it the same name, they risked tying it in with the original Sky concept with many people.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I said before that I thought that "Sky" was a stupid name...

Azteks... you had me crying, I was laughing so hard!!! I've got a fifteen foot pole, if you want to touch it :lol :lol :lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
solsticeman said:
I said before that I thought that "Sky" was a stupid name...

Azteks... you had me crying, I was laughing so hard!!! I've got a fifteen foot pole, if you want to touch it :lol :lol
:glol Too :lol Much... :smash inuendo :lol must.... refrain :crazy :cryin :D :glol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Slipstream said:
I'd love a retractable hardtop but doubt either the Solstice/Sky will get one. .

Where in the world would you put it when stowed??? The Solstice doesn't have a huge trunk to begin with!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts