Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We launched our new 2007 Sky/Sol tuning program toward the end of June. As usual we are the ONLY company that can tune these right now; anyone who tells you they can just assumes the OS is the same for the 2007and hasnt tried yet hehe ;)

Here is all the information regarding our products and if anyone has a sky in metro detroit (or would be willing to come to metro detroit) Please PM me ;)

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13692

If response is good enough we'll sponsor here as well so I look forward to hearing your input ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Probably gonna hold out for a personal package. I like fiddling with it myself and not having to worry about what is done that I don't know about.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Interesting. I would be interested to see the Dyno results after a CAI and High flow exhaust upgrade as well. I would bet you could net ~15-20whp.

I do have a question, does the RPM limiter still apply to fifth gear? My tests showed a 6500 rpm limiter in 4th and a 4000rpm limiter in 5th.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Got your PM and replied GTPprix. Hope you decide to sponsor over here as well. :thumbs:

·
Registered
478 Posts
I just read that entire other thread and it was very interesting and informative. I looked at the dyno results you posted. If I read it correctly, this retune adds about 10hp?

Stupid question - does a dyno measure hp at the crank or the wheels?

Also, if someone buys an entire new unit, are they able to just switch back and fourth without a crank learn each time? I am guessing a "crank learn" cuses the ECM to collect some bit of data from the engine that it then stores forever more?

If I sent you the existing ECM, could you extract the "crank learn" data from the old one and burn it into an entirely new one, and send both back?

·
Registered
92 Posts
a dyno can be measured two ways, at the crank (actually at the flywheel) or the wheels. Usually what people are referring too when they say dyno is a "dyno pull" where hp is measured at the wheels (whp). They litteraly put your car on a "Treadmill" and tie it to a harness to keep it from moving. A crank dyno usually involves suspending an engine outside of the car...for this reason a crank dyno refers to an engine (for example, the Ecotec 2.4 L N/A) and a Dyno Pull implies a specific car.

As an aside, the whole topic of what actual horsepower is and how to measure it has been widely debated over the years. Recently in 2005, the SAE-certified standard was adopted for cars in North America. The first actual engine certified was the corvette LS7 engine, which produced 500bhp at the flyweel under the old SAE system. Under the new system, the engine measures out at 505bhp. This was also true of the Ecotec engine. Many of you remember the 170bhp listings in the early brochures. Under the new system, it measures out at 177bhp. The engine did not change, the measurement system did. Interestingly, many of the Asian engines actually dropped in bhp under the new system. The Toyota Camry went from 210 to 190. Bet they were none to happy about that.

·
Registered
478 Posts
CyaL8r said:
a dyno can be measured two ways, at the crank or the wheels. Usually what people are referring too when they say dyno is a "dyno pull" where hp is measured at the wheels (whp). They litteraly put your car on a "Treadmill" and tie it to a harness to keep it from moving. A crank dyno usually involves suspending an engine outside of the car...for this reason a crank dyno refers to an engine (for example, the Ecotec 2.4 L N/A) and a Dyno Pull implies a specific car.
Okay, thanks. So this retune adds about 10hp at the wheels? I just thought new ECM software would add more than that.

I'm wondering, what is the top speed limiter set to in the factory software?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's about 10-15 at the wheels yes, however this is pretty much the biggest single bolt on you can do; it unlocks the power of the rest of your mods. Not to mention it frees up more power in alot of areas ;)

·
Super Moderator
11,445 Posts
Yea, understand a 10-15 HP increase at the wheels is about 12-20 hp increase at the crank. My car, and most 2.4L Kappas, dyno about 145 at the wheels. That's a 7-11% increase in power!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I will be getting this done. I have the intake and eventually the cat-back (not sure what kind).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts