Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a redline line Sky five years ago.
Now my local dealer that I bought it from will give me $4500 for it if I want to just sell it.
I love the SKY
However
Is this car market a bubble and should I sell and find another one in the next few years

·
Administrator
7,117 Posts
If you love it why would you sell it? Besides, unless it is completely trashed, $4500 is not a great selling price for a RL.

Reactions: CoopSky

·
Registered
18,475 Posts
If you love it why would you sell it? Besides, unless it is completely trashed, $4500 is not a great selling price for a RL.
Let him sell it. Obviously he has no emotional attachment....it is just a piece of metal to him. Believe me, he will not experience separation anxiety. Why do u entertain this post?

·
Registered
556 Posts
I do believe we are in a bubble market, cars and houses to name just a couple. It’s really your call, you just have to make a decision either way and be happy with your choice. I don’t believe I’m alone with stories about the one I sold or got away. Now if I could just locate a flux capacitor, mount it on my Sky and hit 88 MPH, I could perhaps get back the one that got away?
Doc Brown and Marty are never around when you need them….

·
Registered
18,475 Posts
I do believe we are in a bubble market, cars and houses to name just a couple. It’s really your call, you just have to make a decision either way and be happy with your choice. I don’t believe I’m alone with stories about the one I sold or got away. Not if I could just locate a flux capacitor, mount it on my Sky and hit 88 MPH, I could perhaps get back the one that got away?
Doc Brown and Marty are never around when you need them….
They are on the TRAIN...LOL

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
According to Kelley Blue Book, a median trade-in price for a 2008 Sky Redline of $4500 means that the car would need to be in "poor" condition (their lowest rating) and have 140,000 miles on it.

And even at that, it would just be an "average" deal. Unless your car has a lot more miles (and isn't running well), that's not a good deal for you.

Just as another point of comparison, for my car (at 87K miles in excellent condition), they claim a median trade-in price of $11,100.

Not that Kelley is necessarily the best authority, but is at least a reasonable source.

Reactions: Rob the Elder

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
This wins the contest for the most (- - - - - -) post!
Dont want to be mean but seriously?

"I came to a forum for lovers of all things Sky and ask if I should dump mine because some guy in a pink sports coat and bow tie offered me half what its worth?"

YES, sell it. And burn all your pictures of the car. Forget it ever existed. Get a Miata! That is a soulless piece of steel that only its mother could love. Maybe the dealer will offer to buy it from you cheap as well. You can keep his kids in new shoes!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
For reference, I bought my 2007 Roadster for $4,700, obviously affordable on the surface. Today my investment is a rough $12k. I would have been much better off spending $12k-$15k on a cream puff with less than 10,000 miles.

Yet there is something about bringing my Sky back to it's former glory.....a strange attachment to the car. The restoration also provided opportunity for subtle changes, primarily in lighting of which I really like the results. If I bought a cream puff, I would be tempted to tear into it to make the same changes.

·
Registered
2007, 2Dr Roadster, Base, Auto
2 Posts
I purchased my Sky 3 weeks ago...very good condition...68K miles...$10,500. I've already been offered $12,500. Definitely not selling now or anytime soon. There's a reason I bought this car and it wasn't for the investment. No regrets...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Anyone ever considered the OP's Sky's condition that causes a low value? People can ask for whatever they like. It's the market that will decide.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So sorry for late reply. Had a death in the family. I should of proof read my original post. I meant to say they will give me $4500 more than I purchased the car for . Not $4500 trade. My bad.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Well, that changes the equation quite a bit...

·
Registered
176 Posts
msrp is irrevelant. Just for grins, another dealer
tell them you want a clean deal then roll the trade+another 4500 off that price and see where that goes....
my dad sold cars years ago, and the term they used for trade in allowance was referred to as “stealing your horse”

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I went to a car gathering this past Sunday that had some really nice cars. One of the conversations went to the value of the various cars. I pointed to my Sky and asked him what he thought it was worth. He said "They don't make them anymore, at least $50,000."

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I went to a car gathering this past Sunday that had some really nice cars. One of the conversations went to the value of the various cars. I pointed to my Sky and asked him what he thought it was worth. He said "They don't make them anymore, at least $50,000."
Yeah, it's amazing what some (uninformed) people think of our cars. I was getting out of my car at a restaurant, a guy in the spot next to me says "Wow, what do you do for a living to afford that?" (of course, he was sitting in a big new pickup that probably cost $60,000).

·
Registered
36 Posts
So did the OP trade it? I got a really good deal on my redline. I'm not sure how much it would take to get me to sell it now. I can't drive it without it putting a smile on my face. It's a very unique car that's getting harder and harder to find. I have a MazdaSpeed Miata, and these cars aren't even in the same ballpark. I've been getting pretty close to selling the miata and getting a solstice coupe.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts