Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmm I saw the vue redline and it makes me second guess a sky. I love the sky but the vue is awd plus it has what 250hp? Is 250hp good for the vue? power? ALso how does the ion redline perform? Im curious cause I love the sound turbos make. If I can afford the CAI on the sky then I will prob go with it. I've heard a clip of sky with CAI accelerating didn't sound bad. Anyone have any clips of redline ion, redline vue, or base sky accelerating? Most likely I will go with the sky if can afford but figured would look into these 2 other options as well. Hope I can afford CAI I liked the sound of it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sorry, I don't really have any idea where you could find clips like that, unless you just did a forum search and possibly someone has posted one already. =/ Where did you find the one of the Sky with CAI, though? I would like to hear it, too. I have heard good things about Ion Redline but don't know much about Vues period, so I don't feel qualified to give any info on them.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I say go with what fits your budget and needs right now (but still makes you happy). The Sky and other sports cars will be around forever. Take note that a lot of folks on this forum are mid 30-40-50+ years old. Not everybody (you 16-24 year old please dont start screaming at me:jester: ) but a lot of folks have waited until the kind of car "fit" their budget and needs. Heck Saturn offers several other cars that are really nice. :thumbs:

·
Super Moderator
11,535 Posts
Sw0l3n4t0r said:
Hmm I saw the vue redline and it makes me second guess a sky. I love the sky but the vue is awd plus it has what 250hp? Is 250hp good for the vue? power? ALso how does the ion redline perform? Im curious cause I love the sound turbos make. If I can afford the CAI on the sky then I will prob go with it. I've heard a clip of sky with CAI accelerating didn't sound bad. Anyone have any clips of redline ion, redline vue, or base sky accelerating? Most likely I will go with the sky if can afford but figured would look into these 2 other options as well. Hope I can afford CAI I liked the sound of it.
I mean no offense but you really need to ask yourself why you're buying THE vehicle whichever vehicle "it" happens to be. I mean the Ion, Vue, and Sky are three COMPLETELY different vehicles.

The Vue is great if you are hauling people, cargo, or both in large numbers quite often. If you like the SUV look and want to have some performance too then the Vue Redline is a great option in the SUV market plus you get Saturn service which, I've recently found out, is outstanding. The AWD is nice too but while it will increase the Vue's handling potential over stock Vues it's meant more for poor road conditions than increased handling performance.

The Ion is Saturn's answer to the import tuner scene. Rated around 200 hp but with many dynoing at over 230 to the wheels the Redline is a potent tuner car out of the gate. If you're looking to an alternative to Civics, SRT-4s, Evos and STis the Ion is a potent contender. Then, of course, there is the added fuel ecconomy issue of the smaller car. If you are going to be toting around a few friends every now and then the Ion would be a good choice as well.

The Sky is a pure driver's car. You only have one other seat and very limited trunk space so it's not desined to be an everyday driver for someone who has to haul around more than 2 people or decent amounts of cargo. Most Sky owners (if not close to all) have another car that is more practicle. The Sky, in it's base form, has a bit of pep but wouldn't be considered a "fast" car by any means. The Redline though at 13.9 out of the gate WOULD be considered a "fast" car. (Not increadibly fast...not Viper or Vette fast...but definately no slouch) The Sky really shines in handling. The Ion and Vue can't even come close to the Sky's handling AWD or no...unless you're talking snow, ice and in the wet...even then I think the Sky wouldn't do too bad with the right tires.

So you really have to ask yourself what are you looking to get out of the vehicle?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Robotech said:
...If you like the SUV look and want to have some performance too then the Vue Redline is a great option in the SUV market ...
There is a misconception that VUE Redline is more powerful than a Standard VUE, that is not the case. The 6 cylinder Standard VUE is the same as the Redline VUE. The Redline VUE has some styling differences and a different suspension but the same horsepower 250 Hp.

Just a small correction

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea I noticed the vues is the same. I'm really open to any car it's going to come down to budget and right now those are my backup vehicles if can't get sky. The sky would prob have enough power for me. I'm not lookn for a car to supe up like civics do just wondering what they sound like. I'm a college student and usually only have one passenger if that and carry a bookbag which can sit on passenger seat 99% of the time if can't fit in truunk.
in short
1)trunk space is not an issue

2)passenger space is not an issue

3)gas mileage, all get decent enough for me

4)driving conditions dunno Hows the sky handle in the rain? I'm thinking with only 177hp it shouldn't be too bad even though it's rear wheel drive.

My main worry with sky is hows it handle in wet conditions?
I know mustangs a lil diff but it has rear wheel drive also. My mom's old stock 99 mustang gt's rear used to slide sideways just in rainy conditions. Back then we had a bronco for winter time but now I will just have the sky. As long as the sky's not that bad should be fine.

So you guys agree with robotech in that if I put like snow tires on or even a good all season that the sky will be just fine?

If yes then the sky is most definitly my choice. I love the sky it's what I want i'm just tryn make sure that come winter it will be ok. I'm not too interested in the ion but it's an option if necessary. And the vue well it would prob due the best come winter being AWD which makes it 2nd on the list. I guess I could always take the longer route which is more driven so won't be as bad plus won't have to climb that hill.

fyi
I live in southern lancaster county in pennsylvania. Slush and ice will be the main road conditions as the roads are plowed fairly well, also those dang stones or salt they put down. (except when driveway gets plowed shut :mad: )

Sparkle I found the clip in one of the threads in the forums (forget which one) but heres the link to the clip http://media.putfile.com/SKY-with-CAI
it was recorded by a member of the forums

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sw0l3n4t0r said:
yea I noticed the vues is the same. I'm really open to any car it's going to come down to budget and right now those are my backup vehicles if can't get sky. The sky would prob have enough power for me. I'm not lookn for a car to supe up like civics do just wondering what they sound like. I'm a college student and usually only have one passenger if that and carry a bookbag which can sit on passenger seat 99% of the time if can't fit in truunk.
in short

4)driving conditions dunno Hows the sky handle in the rain? I'm thinking with only 177hp it shouldn't be too bad even though it's rear wheel drive.

I know mustangs a lil diff but it has rear wheel drive also. My mom's old stock 99 mustang gt's rear used to slide sideways just in rainy conditions. Back then we had a bronco for winter time but now I will just have the sky. As long as the sky's not that bad should be fine.

So you guys agree with robotech in that if I put like snow tires on or even a good all season that the sky will be just fine?

If yes then the sky is most definitly my choice. I love the sky it's what I want i'm just tryn make sure that come winter it will be ok. I'm not too interested in the ion but it's an option if necessary. And the vue well it would prob due the best come winter being AWD which makes it 2nd on the list. I guess I could always take the longer route which is more driven so won't be as bad plus won't have to climb that hill.

fyi
I live in southern lancaster county in pennsylvania. Slush and ice will be the main road conditions as the roads are plowed fairly well, also those dang stones or salt they put down. (except when driveway gets plowed shut :mad: )

Sparkle I found the clip in one of the threads in the forums (forget which one) but heres the link to the clip http://media.putfile.com/SKY-with-CAI

Thanks alot. That gives me a good idea how great it sounds. My Sky buddy, screenname "Ernest" has a CAI on his silver Sky. The day I got my Sky at the Saturn Dealership in Arlington, Texas:D , Ernest tore out on to I-20 frwy. :cheers: It sounded really good. :willy:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Good luck to you, Sw0l3n4t0r, and thanks for the link. :) Let us know how everything goes at the dealer.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:mad: DAMN!!! turns out they were all too much. Interest rates are like 7.5% so everything was like 460$ a month and I only pay $200 a month now. Looks like i'm gonna have to pray I win a sky from target.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Sw0l3n4t0r said:
in short

fyi

You know I owned a front wheel drive car until I moved from outside Philadelphia to SoCal. With All Season Radials you shoulod be fine in the winter. Since you will have the top up put a couple bags of sand in the trunk. On the first snow fall, go to an empty parking lot and practice driving and getting yourself out of skids. :thumbs:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts