Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So "nicer" weather has finally hit Iowa, at least temporarily. I decided to clean up the Sky and get her ready for the year, plus take her in for the airbag recall and a new battery and remember how much my wife wants to get rid of the red and black interior (besides its not in the best condition) so I decided to look up what all parts were still available.

I was checking out the door panels specifically first and noticed that for an 09 Sky there is only a RIGHT door trim panel available, however for an 09 Solstice there is only a LEFT door trim panel available (of course I may not be looking at the best source but links for reference).

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-parts/2009/saturn/sky/red-line-trim/2-0l-l4-gas-engine/body-cat/interior-trim-door-scat

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-parts/2009/pontiac/solstice/gxp-trim/2-0l-l4-gas-engine/body-cat/interior-trim-door-scat

Best I can find on google these door trim panels look the same between cars, does anyone know if they are interchangeable? They are different part numbers for LEFT Sky and LEFT Solstice (right as well, etc) but so are all the other parts they I would think would be shared. Being heavily involved with product development and engineering at a manufacturing company I know our numbering scheme is terrible and we duplicate information all of the place. Any help would be appreciated.:cheers:

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
They will fit either car, but they definitely LOOK different - you wouldn't want to mix and match. Plus the Solstice one does not exactly match where it meets the Sky dash (AFAIK - though I could be wrong).

Pics of the Sky door followed by the Solstice:

·
Premium Member
4,151 Posts
I have not done the swap but have read on the Solstice forum that they are a direct replacement. I have had the center panel out of both cars and they ARE interchangeable. The only difference according to reports is the wiring is different between the two cars. When installing a Sky panel on a Solstice, I think I read that they needed to lengthen the Sol cable to fit the Sky connectors. Based on that, I suspect that if you install a Sol panel in a Sky car it will fit.

I could test this theory but it would involve taking apart both cars and I am working to get them both back together for Nationals so . . . .. sorry.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Sine your car is a 09 you will have to replace with 09 panels or at least change out the window switches. The plug for the window switches are different on the 07 and 08 models. If you look at a 08 driver side window and mirror switch you will notice the buttons are reversed for the mirror adjustment the 09 is different.

·
Registered
17,336 Posts
Might as well post this....in my possession is a DISCONTINUED passenger side black door panel for a 06 Sky build...no door switch...any interested buyers out there?

·
Registered
17,336 Posts
So "nicer" weather has finally hit Iowa, at least temporarily. I decided to clean up the Sky and get her ready for the year, plus take her in for the airbag recall and a new battery and remember how much my wife wants to get rid of the red and black interior
How about going to PLAN B...getting rid of the WIFE? :surprise::lol::D

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm getting my inserts recovered next week at a local Upholstery shop for $125. I am using Marine grade vinyl instead of leather though. You will find that putting the inserts back in to be a bit challenging since they wern't designed to be removed but I came up with a clip and screw to securely remount them. I'm still kicking around the idea to have the complete door panel covered in black since I have some fading going on. The problem is, once you recover the door, where do you stop? I really don't want to reupholster the whole inside! Any thoughts on how you think it would look to just do the door panels? Has any member done just those parts and left all of the other plastic panels original?

·
Registered
17,336 Posts
I have not done the swap but have read on the Solstice forum that they are a direct replacement. I have had the center panel out of both cars and they ARE interchangeable. The only difference according to reports is the wiring is different between the two cars. When installing a Sky panel on a Solstice, I think I read that they needed to lengthen the Sol cable to fit the Sky connectors. Based on that, I suspect that if you install a Sol panel in a Sky car it will fit.

I could test this theory but it would involve taking apart both cars and I am working to get them both back together for Nationals so . . . .. sorry.
Do not test the theory Rob...I changed the door panel for the Solstice....definitely the wiring is shorter on the Solstice on the driver's side....but if u pull hard enough on the harness (I got lucky it did not break)...u can make it fit the Sky door panel. That was Dr. Golfs Solstice.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Robotec,
Your interior looks fantastic! I can't tell from the photos but did you recover the complete door panel or just the inserts?

·
Super Moderator
11,101 Posts
Robotec,
Your interior looks fantastic! I can't tell from the photos but did you recover the complete door panel or just the inserts?
Robo,

One other question. Is the matching trim around the shifter painted or vinyl covered?
I just recovered the inserts. I don't think doing the whole door panel would look right unless you did the dash too. Just wouldn't flow.

The orange on the center console is paint. The blue Carbon Fiber is part of the Dash kit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts