Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one have the photo showing the rear Sky vs. Solstice humps? If I remember correctly they are slightly different.......

Terry

·
Registered
2,621 Posts

That aside, I wasn't aware of a difference between Saturn and Pontiac so will be interested to see.

·
Registered
18,107 Posts
the solstice has smaller humps....can I say, I like larger humps LOL. Humpty Dumpy. All kidding aside...u should not close your trunk by putting your hand on those humps....the sheet metal is thinner and may bend.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found the photo I was referring to, Sky on top and Solstice on the bottom

Attachments

Reactions: RedOne07

·
Super Moderator
6,566 Posts
Any why would gm have two different humps? Are they interchangeable?
I suspect they designed two different humps as part of the effort to make the cars look different. They are not interchangeable, in fact there is no body part that I know of that will interchange.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Here is a Solstice.

Here is my Sky, not just pointed, but I think the Sky humps are taller.

I wonder if the flipper doors and hardware are interchangeable between the two tulips.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Years ago some cars had what were referred to as Dagmar bumpers....... perhaps the styling on the Solstice and Sky is a subtle nod to Harley Earl...

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
I always knew that the tulip doors were interchangeable, but now I see that the entire tulip panel itself isn’t... which I didn’t realize before.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Why are the " humps " importance or their differences to you?
Just for spec purposes, or are the trunk lids inter-changeable
between the two models?
Everyone likes... a good hump or two now and then. Please let your
imagination take this- to the next level.
It's Hump Day- here a hump, there a hump. Humpty Dumpty had a
great fall- hey did you know that camels have a hump too? I humped
a college co-ed once.. does that count? Never mind...

Are there aero dynamic properties to these humps? I would say yes to some
extent, air flow over the wind shield, open cabin, short wheel base- with or without
the wing. The wind tunnel tests done in the engineering phase development process
should reveal some clues to why the humps are there in the first place maybe?

Are they cosmetic in nature- a designer's influenced retro flash back to earlier
cars of a by-gone era? Maybe- Ferrari/MB- others who have had humps- the old
D Type Jag comes to mind here.

FWIW- I think they are unique to our cars only. I have not seen any new cars with
humps- or an after market fad of adding humps. The Humps- the sleek body style,
the reverse opening trunk lid, the clam shell engine hood these are the things that
attract the eye- when pulling into a gas station per se- full of clueless people who
wonder in amazing when something different than their boring old sedan or mini
van/SUV is viewed. Wait a second honey- I gonna check out a nice set of humps.
U going to do what now hubby? Oh really... hmmmm k. She might be checking
a big ole cam shaft out here too- just say'n. Double DD- Humps.

LAC

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
The current Ferrari convertible has humps that are offset from the seats which I feel looks ugly, ugly, ugly. Did I say "ugly" enough? Here is one example of one of the latest Ferraris. They all seem to have the same. It looks very strange to see the tops of people's heads significantly offset from the humps. The humps are supposed to be "Behind" the heads. The first time I followed behind a current-day Ferrari, the styling blunder had me say something I cannot repeat here.

I have not seen any other sports car with twin humps integrated better than the Sky and Solstice. The Kappa humps are right where they should be to look their best, directly behind the seats, and they are the right size. Integrated into the trunk lid with the tulip is "tops", better than anything else I have seen. It was a "grand slam" styling feature that sets the Kappa into it's own winner's circle.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
There’s something about a Union Jack on a fine German automobile that doesn’t quite do it for me. 🇩🇪
I think they earned it when they won the Mille Miglia (the second place car had an Argentine driving it (Fangio) and then the Tourist Trophy and Targa Florio to win the world championship. I doubt Uhlenhaut was too put out that there were no German drivers in the top spots (Kling and Herrmann also ran the cars).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts