Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was backing the car out of the driveway. I had the steering wheel cranked to avoid some stuff behind me. I got about 5 to 10 feet and it just died. When I went to try to start it again, there was nothing, won't crank, doesn't click, nothing. The dash lights, head lights,etc., seem to be working. I noticed the "banner" was saying "service ESC" and something else, can't remember off hand. I also noticed that the engine light "flickers". I tried to hook up my ODB, but it kept giving me an err 1, which means it is not communicating with the computer. I was going to check it with another vehicle, but forgot. I did hook up a battery charger and it seemed to be charging a lot. I also tried to jump start it, but nothing. I am perplexed.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Would you please provide the year, engine, manual or automatic. This will make it easier for someone to help you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
In these cars, a low or defective battery will cause all kinds of weird problems. Make sure it is fully charged and the posts are clean, and see if your problems disappear. If it starts and runs, replacing the battery would be a good idea.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum.
In these cars, a low or defective battery will cause all kinds of weird problems. Make sure it is fully charged and the posts are clean, and see if your problems disappear. If it starts and runs, replacing the battery would be a good idea.
Yeah, I've read several posts on here that have said these cars are picky about batteries. I read one post about a "crank" fuse. I was hoping that was it, but NO. I was oping not to have to replace the battery, but I may just bite the bullet and do it. :(

·
Administrator
7,117 Posts
Yeah, I've read several posts on here that have said these cars are picky about batteries. I read one post about a "crank" fuse. I was hoping that was it, but NO. I was oping not to have to replace the battery, but I may just bite the bullet and do it. :(
The RedLine has a 2.0 liter engine.

How old is the battery?

Reactions: caspertfg87

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Welcome to the forum-

Miles on your odometer?
Any info on past maintenance history?

IF your battery is more than 6 years old- might be time to get rid of it.
After that 6 year time frame you're on borrowed time. We have had owners
have their batteries last a long time, others in some cases the battery failed
within 3-4 years. When they go- they go. Dead cell is common sometimes.

New battery- for piece of mind down the road that it won't leave you
stranded somewhere. Yes our cars can be finicky with it's electronics
when a weak or dying battery is present. Checking the fuses never hurts any.
Cables and their connections- grounds should be clean & tight- free of corrosion.
Every new battery that goes in- a simple piece of tape with the month/year you
bought it on the top of the battery is... a quick glance for the owner as to when or
how old the battery is at the present for life expectancy.

IF no other electrical issues are present- it could be just that simple.
Then again- is the charging system doing it's job? Alternator, belts, the starter,
no mysterious drain on the battery, mice eating wires, could be more expensive
than just replacing the battery. I upgraded my latest battery purchase with a little
more cranking amps/ reserve capacity than the pervious one. The cost went up too.

IF you had no other issues before the battery died- hard starting, codes, blown fuses
then- it might not be just the battery you are dealing with here. Not knowing the
previous history- of maintenance performed on your car- this would be a good place to
start your maintenance history base time line. Ignition- battery cables/grounding points
starter, alternator, belts, fuses, if it is more than visual, then a diagnostic read out might
tell you what the battery is doing under load, lights work, bells chime, A/C pulls a large
amount, these are things you can do at home. Should you need help- the shop or mechanic
will come at a price just saying.

LAC

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome to the forum-

Miles on your odometer?
Any info on past maintenance history?

IF your battery is more than 6 years old- might be time to get rid of it.
After that 6 year time frame you're on borrowed time. We have had owners
have their batteries last a long time, others in some cases the battery failed
within 3-4 years. When they go- they go. Dead cell is common sometimes.
I think there are 4800 miles on the odometer. I KNOW it is less than 5000. I am pretty sure ther has been zero maintenance done to this car. I don't even think the oil has been changed.

·
Administrator
7,117 Posts
2009 = 12 years old
Definitely start with the battery. A new battery is not always trouble-free, but a battery that old is totally unreliable.

Also, virtually every fluid in the car should be changed: oil, coolant, and brake fluid.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I replaced the battery. Didn't realize I would have to take front fender off to do so, Ugh! Anyhow, I basically still have the same issues. I am certain this is a "simple" fix - fuse, relay, sensor - I just need to know where to start. The ESC and TRACTION concern me as does the "flickering" engine light. It also concerns me that my OBD doesn't "communicate" with the computer. I forgot to check that with another vehicle again, but I am certain there is nothing wrong with the OBD reader. I posted a link to a youtube video, hopefully that will help.

·
Administrator
7,117 Posts
I replaced the battery. Didn't realize I would have to take front fender off to do so, Ugh! Anyhow, I basically still have the same issues. I am certain this is a "simple" fix - fuse, relay, sensor - I just need to know where to start. The ESC and TRACTION concern me as does the "flickering" engine light. It also concerns me that my OBD doesn't "communicate" with the computer. I forgot to check that with another vehicle again, but I am certain there is nothing wrong with the OBD reader. I posted a link to a youtube video, hopefully that will help.

Yes, changing the battery isn't fun.

Maybe you have mentioned this, but do you have a volt meter available? The next step is to check voltages in several places before and while trying to start the car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, changing the battery isn't fun.

Maybe you have mentioned this, but do you have a volt meter available? The next step is to check voltages in several places before and while trying to start the car.
Yes, I have a volt meter

·
Administrator
7,117 Posts
Yes, I have a volt meter
I would check, in this order:
  1. Battery positive to negative terminals
  2. Positive post on the underhood fuse block (under the red cover) to the ground strap on the engine
  3. If #2 is low, Battery positive to the ground strap on the engine
  4. If #2 is low, Positive post on the underhood fuse block (under the red cover) to negative battery terminal
  5. Open the underhood fuse block, then check the large lug terminal to the ground strap on the engine
If you have voltage between all of those points while trying to start the engine, the main connections are good.

Also inspect the ground terminal that is on the main frame rail below the right side hood hinge.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would check, in this order:
  1. Battery positive to negative terminals
  2. Positive post on the underhood fuse block (under the red cover) to the ground strap on the engine
  3. If #2 is low, Battery positive to the ground strap on the engine
  4. If #2 is low, Positive post on the underhood fuse block (under the red cover) to negative battery terminal
  5. Open the underhood fuse block, then check the large lug terminal to the ground strap on the engine
If you have voltage between all of those points while trying to start the engine, the main connections are good.

Also inspect the ground terminal that is on the main frame rail below the right side hood hinge.
I finally got voltage checked in the areas you mentioned. Voltage was about 12.5 across the board and when I tried to start it, it would drop to about 12.1

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had this problem myself.

My fix... In the passenger foot well behind the matt is the body control computer and a second fuse box. remove the 40 pin connector, spray with contact cleaner, push in and out a few times.
Contacts corroded. bad ground no start. I now do this as part of my maintenance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts