Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Piaa Xtreme White Plus

Just replaced all the low, driving lights and high with 4500, and 4750. this type of light will use standard pug only took 5 min to replace and I have 100% brighter headlights......saved alot over HID.....seal9:cheers:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Just replaced all the low, driving lights and high with 4500, and 4750. this type of light will use standard pug only took 5 min to replace and I have 100% brighter headlights......saved alot over HID.....seal9:cheers:
This looks like just the right replacement for me... Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what is 4500?

is this a type of bulb i can get at a automotive type store? do i ask for type 4500 & 4750?

thanks....................

·
Registered
302 Posts
Are these real xenon's?? I thought real ones have to have ballasts and other things and they cost $200-300. Does anyone have pictures of xenon's installed on their Sky??

·
Registered
61 Posts
Are these real xenon's?? I thought real ones have to have ballasts and other things and they cost $200-300. Does anyone have pictures of xenon's installed on their Sky??

NO they are fakes.............ALL "xenon" bulb only headlights are fakes. Most just coat the bulbs with fancy blue paint to give the appearance of the real thing. True HID xenon systems require a ballast which is like a little transformer that converts 35w nominal power to anywhere frome 35,000 volts-100,000 volts to power a true xenon bulb.

I have HIDs in all of my cars and there is no comparison for the real thing.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
How can you get 100% more light while drawing the same amount of power?
Power and lumens are not always interlinked. However your statement is right on in the fact that the conversion is usually affected by something that improves efficiency. For example -- a 7 watt florescent lamp is equal to a 60 watt incandescent lamp -- same light - less power BUT note that the florescent uses ballast.
Here is an interesting FAQ on Xenons:

http://www.mvlc.info/pdf/MVLCbrochure.pdf#search="xenon headlamps"

·
Registered
31 Posts
So how are they?

Seal9,

How are the xenon bulbs working out for you? Do you have any night pics of them on ? Just curious.:)

·
Registered
290 Posts
True HID lamps are VERY pricey, in the $500 range. Changing the Kelvin spectrum can make lamps seem brighter. A lot of sportbike motorcyclists go with PIAA. I've found it makes a higher contrast appearance on some roadways, but I also went from a 60W to an 80W bulb.

·
Registered
322 Posts
OK, very informative...BUT...for those whose cars have come in (not like moi :brentil: ) how are the lights that come "standard" on the SKY?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Mculloch makes one of the better HID kits and I found mine on ebay for $285 shipped.....everything just plugs right in......it's like driving in the daytime........they are so bright......the 8000KW is the most popular color.......it has just a hint of blue......i had just the bulbs at first and they actually seemed to be less bright than factory but were blue.

·
Registered
366 Posts
OK, very informative...BUT...for those whose cars have come in (not like moi :brentil: ) how are the lights that come "standard" on the SKY?
Mine has yet to come in but many members have stated that they are by far the best halogen headlights they've ever had on a car. I'm sure some of those that have said so can confirm.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Mine has yet to come in but many members have stated that they are by far the best halogen headlights they've ever had on a car. I'm sure some of those that have said so can confirm.
For a while I vasilated about buying aftermarket HIDs... But after driving at night and in fog (great fog lights BTW), rain and clear... I find these to be better than any car standard lights I have driven.

·
Registered
322 Posts
W O W .....:) as my man says in "Pulp Fiction"...thats a bold statement" Rick.:lol: ..and knowing your posts and knowledge of the SKY, I BELIEVE IT!:
I cannot wait to get this car..thanks for the reply on the lights....not you....but us older ones do need good night vision.....:D :D :D !

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
W O W .....:) as my man says in "Pulp Fiction"...thats a bold statement" Rick.:lol: ..and knowing your posts and knowledge of the SKY, I BELIEVE IT!:
I cannot wait to get this car..thanks for the reply on the lights....not you....but us older ones do need good night vision.....:D :D :D !
Around where I live Deer like to cross in some heavily forested areas. The High beams are well aimed and I seem to light up them lil guys pretty far away.
The headlights are definitely better than the 97 Saturn I drive on most "bad" days and seem to be a bit brighter and w/a wider spread (high beams) than the 2001 Tracker I drive as well.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
The standard lamps on the Sky lite up deer real good. While on tha back roads they stop those deer cold in their tracks , long enough ta get a shot off. They don't know what hit them...Skip...also works on possom....:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
366 Posts
also works on possom....:lol: :lol:
Possoms stop anyways. They have to be about the easiest animal to hit at night. Though around here deer will run into the side of your car when you're stopped at a stop sign so I guess it's a toss up.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Thanks again to all on the light and night vision issue......Ya, Deer!!!!! **&^ing things are everywhere....also deer in this particular urban setting (SE Mass) are getting B I G. I took a 7 point buck, 2 miles as the crow flies from the geographic center of a community area of well over 140,000 (in a game management area no less----LOTs of hunters) during the season here last Nov. that dressed at 172! Needless to say....I do NOT want to meet one while in my car:lol: in the woods, ok, on the road.....BAD:thumbs:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts