Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a guy that works with numbers for a living, here are some statistics about the ratios of Solstices to SKYs produced, and the percent of the total population that are SKYs...

January - 58.9:1 (2% SKY)
February - 30.8:1 (3% SKY)
March - 11.8:1 (8% SKY)
April - 7.7:1 (11% SKY)
May - 5.7:1 (15% SKY)
June - 4.7:1 (18% SKY)

So, as of the end of June, there are just about five Solstices on the road for every SKY. We have a long way to go before we're at the 2:1 ratio!

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
I guess things will still have to pick up a little on the Sky side. Or slow down on the Solstice side.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Pontiac dealers are now atarting to build inventories on Solstices. I have driven past 3 dealers with cars on the lot available for sale. You would think eventually the flow of SKYs to Solstices would tip more in Saturns favor.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I am confused. If the Sky is pretty much in a backorder condition and there is "supposed to be" a 2:1 production ratio, where are all our Skys?

·
Registered
342 Posts
HiredGun said:
I am confused. If the Sky is pretty much in a backorder condition and there is "supposed to be" a 2:1 production ratio, where are all our Skys?
They must be saving the parts for the Opels & Daewoo's :D

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HiredGun said:
Production ratio is about 2:1 today. For example, May was 2135 Solstice, 1151 SKY. June was 1983 Solstice, 1125 SKY. (In fact, the ratio is less than 2:1 for the last two months.)

The deciding factor is that as of January there were over 10,000 Solstices and no SKYs at all, so it's going to take a while to catch up.

If you look at figures for March (when SKY production got respectable) through June you see 7850 Solstices and 4013 SKYs.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
jdigiant said:
Production ratio is about 2:1 today. For example, May was 2135 Solstice, 1151 SKY. June was 1983 Solstice, 1125 SKY. (In fact, the ratio is less than 2:1 for the last two months.)

The deciding factor is that as of January there were over 10,000 Solstices and no SKYs at all, so it's going to take a while to catch up.

If you look at figures for March (when SKY production got respectable) through June you see 7850 Solstices and 4013 SKYs.
But they won't catch up to solstice production because they are only making half as many Sky's compared to the Solstice. So it will stay AROUND 2 Solstice to 1 Sky.

Some months it might be a little more than 2 to 1 and some less then 2 to 1 but in the end it will end up around 20,000 Solstice and 10,000 Sky'S

·
Registered
422 Posts
deluke said:
Some months it might be a little more than 2 to 1 and some less then 2 to 1 but in the end it will end up around 20,000 Solstice and 10,000 Sky'S
If they hold production a bit over the 3,000 per month like in May and June - and there is no reason at all to decrease production - we should get between 35,000 and 40,000 cars/year.
If you subtract the some thousends of Opels (I hope so :D ) being shipped to Europe there are even so more then 30,000 staying in the USA.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
C20LET_50 said:
If they hold production a bit over the 3,000 per month like in May and June - and there is no reason at all to decrease production - we should get between 35,000 and 40,000 cars/year.
If you subtract the some thousends of Opels (I hope so :D ) being shipped to Europe there are even so more then 30,000 staying in the USA.
They won't decrease production in the near future. Now if the Saab Sonnett is a go on the Kappa, who knows what will happen then.

But don't forget that they have holidays and shut downs. They won't stay at 3000 every month, they will run short some months and might go a little over some.

And don't forget they will be starting the Daewoo. So, 20,000 Solstice,10,000 Sky, 5,000 opel and a few thousand Daewoo. This bring you close to the 40k max production.

·
Registered
422 Posts
deluke said:
They won't decrease production in the near future. Now if the Saab Sonnett is a go on the Kappa, who knows what will happen then.

But don't forget that they have holidays and shut downs. They won't stay at 3000 every month, they will run short some months and might go a little over some.

And don't forget they will be starting the Daewoo. So, 20,000 Solstice,10,000 Sky, 5,000 opel and a few thousand Daewoo. This bring you close to the 40k max production.
I didn't notice that the production of the Daewoo is decided bindingly. Do you know the starting production date?

Holidays and shut downs are not really necessary in big blocks. I'm working in steel production and we do "full-conti-production" round about 350 days a year. No shut down for holidays, our employees take holidays one by one, uniformly distributed over the year.
For the three shifts per day we have five shift workers, two shifts for work free days, holidays, illness etc.

For maintenance shutdown or model change you need only very few days per year. That's the way you can go if you've a product with high demand or expensive production machinery.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Theres not as many Skys out there as there are Soltices. It will most likely stay that way because of the production numbers. Lots of folks still dont know about the Sky too. I've had people point at my Sky and say "Look, its a Soltice".

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
C20LET_50 said:
I didn't notice that the production of the Daewoo is decided bindingly. Do you know the starting production date?

Holidays and shut downs are not really necessary in big blocks. I'm working in steel production and we do "full-conti-production" round about 350 days a year. No shut down for holidays, our employees take holidays one by one, uniformly distributed over the year.
For the three shifts per day we have five shift workers, two shifts for work free days, holidays, illness etc.

For maintenance shutdown or model change you need only very few days per year. That's the way you can go if you've a product with high demand or expensive production machinery.
Not in the US they take shut down and holiday's. It's a union thing. I don't know when the daewoo is starting production but I'm pretty sure they made a couple preproduction. I know someone who drove it out of the factory.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Anyone remember the daewoo skits from Mad TV? :lol:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Has the Daewoo version been shown yet? I haven't seen it if it has.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts