Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all..
Well, this is an odd question that probably isn't completely known but hopefully some of you SKY fanatics (99% of this board) may know ... Well, last September (1 year ago) I bought my 2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT O.T.D for $21k .. that was my limit paying $305 a month, cannot go over that. So, SKY currently is too much for me and quite franquely, just ain't right trading in your car with 8,000 miles on it, even though I dream about the SKY..an illness, I know ...

So, I was thinking maybe I will pick up the SKY in a year or two, although I've put 10k into my Tiburon, I really love the looks of the SKY and want a convertable ... So the simple question is, what would you say a used 07 SKY would be at in price in about 2 years? I ask because I know my car will drop almost 10k .. sadly, seeing the wait and all for the SKY, it is probably not going to drop much.

Thank You.
-Kyle:cool:

·
Registered
692 Posts
I suppose it depends on the milage and treatment, don't look for mine as I intend to keep it until I can't see to drive and drool!
You have a reasonable opportunity to pick one up from some idiot that thought he'd get 40K in a fast turn over though. That's if he doesn't realize what an idiot he is for parting with it.
I am not an expert, my dad was an antique dealer for 40 years and I have sold some of the classics that I can't even afford to buy back now.
I believe that Sky is is the early Corvette, Thunderbird and Porsche of it's day. See me in twenty years and tell me I'm wrong, I don't think you'll be able to do that.

Loving every minute!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Great question......however I ask the following.

How will Saturn brand the SKY? Will they take the Mustang road and over flood the market by making it a practical buy at around 16K to 24K? Or will they only develop a few a year, like for example.....2007. How many did Saturn make? In my town, San Antonio, TX my dealer told me that there were only a dozen sold.

I agree that the SKY is the Corvette, Porsche, etc. of the day but what about tomorrow?

Look at the Crossfire....Chrysler just made them for a couple of years. I hope that’s the road Saturn takes.

·
Registered
514 Posts

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,875 Posts
Dallas Morning news had an article recently saying that the Viper and Solstice were the top cars in holding resale value. I think the sky was too new to qualify for this year.

One would think the Sky would be at least as good as the solstice.

(Not in dallas, but someone emailed me a scan of the article!)

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Dallas Morning news had an article recently saying that the Viper and Solstice were the top cars in holding resale value. I think the sky was too new to qualify for this year.

One would think the Sky would be at least as good as the solstice.

(Not in dallas, but someone emailed me a scan of the article!)
Yes, it sould be as good as the Solstice.I think they were thinking the Solstice residual value in 3 years to be around 52%. If I remember correctly. But time will tell.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
I leased a first-year Miata for three years. At the end of the lease, I bought it because it had held its value, and ended up selling it for significantly more than I paid at the end of the lease.

There have been two price increases already on these cars. Another one may be coming in November when they make height-adjustable seats and door lock buttons standard.

With Opel and Daewoo clammoring for more production to be delivered overseas, I don't think that we will have a flood of additional production in the US.

I expect the sticker price on these cars to continue to go up (as they did in the first two years of the Miata), meaning that cars that were purchased early will hold their value.

Of course, this is ALL speculation on my part. I am always amazed by what car companies can do to mess up a really good thing.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Time will tell

Look at GMs attempt at small car market.

The Fiero 84-88 colored thru plastic bodys a first. I 'm ashamed to admit I had a 84 Indy pacecar version a real dog. These had hi production and had a huge glut on dealers floors. Someday it may be recognized for its inovative design and plastic body but as of now very little value will need years of attrition to ever have any value.

The Buick Reatta 88-91 Masserati body design 3.8 six plenty of interior room Recarro buckets touchscreen computer in center of dash.Fiero tech frontend (plastic). I had a 91 convertible wish I still had the car. I bought the car in 98 for 9800.00 in great shape original list in 91 over 30k. i think this one may begin to appretiate.

The Sky I feel it will follow precedent and have a short run 3-4 years
Firsts on car hydroformed steel, direct injection. 10,000 unit limit per year. figure min 5% lost of stock do to accidents per year. I don't think there will be a substantial lose in a couple of years. I just traded my 6month old Sky for what I paid for it in trade\ with 5500 miles for my Redline. so the car already bucked the trend of losing a huge amount driving off the lot. I think there will be a bigger lose say three years down the road after production stops and then the bounce back up. The attrition will bring numbers down year to year on a already limited number. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
804 Posts
hmmm.
Lets see...I bought my Sky in May for just over $24k with leather. Now the same car goes for $26ish. Guess my resale value is going up! First time I had a car that actually went up in value when I took it off the lot!:D

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
hmmm.
Lets see...I bought my Sky in May for just over $24k with leather. Now the same car goes for $26ish. Guess my resale value is going up! First time I had a car that actually went up in value when I took it off the lot!:D
I bought a new Honda Civic in 76' best investment I ever made, the gas crunch came along and I traded it for $1,500 over cost on a new mustang and got a good discount on the mustang to.........:lol:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
I think one of the key factors will be what GM does with the pricing. Since I bought my '07 SKY in May the price has already gone up $1,500.

So my $25,500 SKY is now selling for $27,000. Dealers are charging more than that with the "market adjustment" or "mandatory add-ons." What if GM raises the price to what the market will bear?

If the car at $27,000 with $3,000 of add-ons came with an MSRP of $30,000 - traffic might slow somewhat. If it does, then the dealers might only be able to add $1,000 of add-ons and still sell the car, kicking the price of $27+$3 = $30,000 to $30+$1 = $31,000 (just an example...) But let's just say, in theory, that GM realizes that they have a hot car; they want to keep the production limited anyway; and so they raise the price to what the market will bear - kicking it up a few grand every year (including adding refinements along the way.) You could have a pattern like this:

May 06 - $25,500
Sep 06 - $27,000
Sep 07 - $29,950
Sep 08 - $33,250

So now it's September, 2008 - two years from now. You can buy a new SKY for $33,250 - or a used 2007 model for $10K less - or $23,250. In this world, the car would have depreciated only $2,250 over two years - not the "$10K loss the moment you drove it off the lot."

I'm not an expert in such things, and I am not saying that this IS going to happen. But if we encourage GM to keep kicking up the price to reflect true market demand, or those dealers keep marking up new cars beyond MSRP, then the value for us that already have the cars will remain quite high.

Not that I'm planning to sell mine any time soon, mind you...

·
Registered
138 Posts
who cares:) this is my baby for a verrrrrrry long time. if you keep it original, it will be worth a lot of money down the road. first run:D

·
Registered
514 Posts
Look at the Corvette

First bear with me on this, I know the Sky isn't a Corvette, but lets use the Corvette, another highly sought after American sports car as a best case example for the Sky.

Look at the Corvette depreciation data:

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/index.cfm/2006/3/2/Depreciating-Corvettes-The-Top-10-of-2005

The C6 Corvette loses 12-15% value in the first year (better than most cars) and I would expect the Sky to fair as well, provided no serious mechanical problems. Then take another Corvette, the C5 Z06, another amazing machine loses 8% the 2nd year according to the data (yes I know the Sky is no Z06 but we are doing best case for a Sky here). Then in year 3 it drops another 8%.

So best case for a Sky using Corvette depreciation numbers (which are tops out of all US cars) the depreciation looks like this:

Year 1 $26000 x 12% = 22880
Year 2 $22880 x 8% = 21050
Year 3 $21050 x 8% = 19366

Now GM thinks it will be worth around $16000 so they are assuming larger depreciation numbers.

Take a look at the only other car I think that can be compared to a Sky, the Honda S2000. Keep in mind the Honda S2000 holds its value better than almost any other cars on the road according to this list of depreciation values on various cars:

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/auto/car-guide-2004/residual-value1.asp

A Honda S2000 is typically worth 53% of its value after 5 years. Do you think the Sky will be able to match that? Maybe, that would put a Sky at around $13000 after 5 years, unless the Honda holds its value better than the GM.

·
Registered
229 Posts
In my town, San Antonio, TX my dealer told me that there were only a dozen sold.
I think the dealer might have been exaggerating a bit. When I ordered my Sky in May in San Antonio, I was told that there had been about 30 ordered before me and only two or three delivered. At that time I was number 13 on the waiting list at the NE San Antonio location. There was an equally lengthy list at the 281 location.

Even if you assume that the dealer was only talking about delivered Skys, the number is at least double that by now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts