Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I checked ebay and Auto Trader today and ebay has (1) at "buy it now" for $30,750 and Auto Trader has (12) listed starting at $27,115 new, loaded from a dealer to others at the ridiculous price of $39,900. I am surprised to see so many so soon. For the most part the majority of the prices do not seem so high considerering how rare and hard to get these cars are. Go figure?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I found 55 listings for SKYs nationwide on Autotrader. That compares to 454 Solstices and 313 Miatas. While not equally distributed, 1.1 SKYs per state would tend to make them a rare breed indeed.

Not all of the SKYs listed on Autotrader are actually for sale or for sale at the MSRP listed price. Many dealers have their new cars automatically posted on Autotrader.com, even those that are presold. The only way to verify if they are actually available is to call the dealer. Then you have to ask what "add-on" they insist upon.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
AUsomTiger said:
I found 55 listings for SKYs nationwide on Autotrader. That compares to 454 Solstices and 313 Miatas. While not equally distributed, 1.1 SKYs per state would tend to make them a rare breed indeed.

Not all of the SKYs listed on Autotrader are actually for sale or for sale at the MSRP listed price. Many dealers have their new cars automatically posted on Autotrader.com, even those that are presold. The only way to verify if they are actually available is to call the dealer. Then you have to ask what "add-on" they insist upon.
I agree.

Also as we have discovered from other posts the AutoTrader listings are also "invitation" offers and may not actually mean that the car is available at that moment, if even ever.

Its a bait-and-switch tactic to get you to contact the dealer and place the order for a furture car.

The car (at MSRP) is certainly hard to come by despite these posts.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
AUsomTiger said:

They are not really any more rare than the Solstice but the Solstice got 7/8 months jump on the Sky. That's why you don't see as many sky's, they just started a 2/3 months ago for production. Wait another 6/7 months.

You have 450 Saturn dealerships with a production of 10,000 Sky's, you have 2500 Pontiac dealerships with a production of 20,000 Solstice. You do the math. Your better off looking for a sky.

·
Registered
34 Posts
twirp which dealer in houston did u go to? I went to the Gulf Fwy location... and got my image within 1 month of my deposit... got my order accepted from manufacturer... and lookin at 1-1.5 months before i get the car.. (if things go smoothly).... it's only been 2 months for me so far...

someone's selling their spot for 5K?? i was thinking about selling my spot too.... the hype for ths Sky is gone for me already.... wonder would someone buy my spot of 1-1.5 months for under 5K hhehehe

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've been spending time here recently as a very dear friend is ordering a sky and I'm helping her.

All these posts about markups, ebay rip-offs etc. Exact same scene played out over on elisetalk for people waiting for the Lotus Elise. I waited over 2.5 years from when I put my deposit to when the car finally came, I was lucky enough to get the first elise delivered in the US (on my second one now, long story). I paid straight msrp. Lots of guys were screaming, paying way over list, etc. after the supply of cars finally caught up with demand sanity prevailed.

The sky is certainly not a rare car and six months from now you'll be able to get them for list EVERYWHERE, maybe even below list in the frozen north. Just doesn't make sense to pay over MSRP to just have the right to be one of the first, not worth it.

Chris

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
bullseye said:
I've been spending time here recently as a very dear friend is ordering a sky and I'm helping her.

All these posts about markups, ebay rip-offs etc. Exact same scene played out over on elisetalk for people waiting for the Lotus Elise. I waited over 2.5 years from when I put my deposit to when the car finally came, I was lucky enough to get the first elise delivered in the US (on my second one now, long story). I paid straight msrp. Lots of guys were screaming, paying way over list, etc. after the supply of cars finally caught up with demand sanity prevailed.

The sky is certainly not a rare car and six months from now you'll be able to get them for list EVERYWHERE, maybe even below list in the frozen north. Just doesn't make sense to pay over MSRP to just have the right to be one of the first, not worth it.

Chris
I don't know about long term value -- but they will be rare. 10000 cars built for a country that sells 16000000 cars a year is pretty damn rare.
Additionally -- very few people are paying a dime over MSRP. As usual you hear mostly the exceptions. I think teh status quo is msrp... Like any other Saturn.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
I reserve the right to disagree...

bullseye said:
Just doesn't make sense to pay over MSRP to just have the right to be one of the first, not worth it.
I love my car, love driving it every day. For me, it was very much worth paying over MSRP to get the car sooner rather than later. That's an easy call for me as I am able to afford it, and I still ended up paying less than I expected to for the car (I decided I was going to buy it before pricing was announced.) For some it doesn't make sense to pay over MSRP to get the car sooner. For me, it did.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
bullseye said:

Chris
You won't see them below list for year's !!! The sky and the Solstice are very limited cars, and the Red Line and GXP's are going to be even worst.

·
Registered
160 Posts
deluke said:
You won't see them below list for year's !!! The sky and the Solstice are very limited cars, and the Red Line and GXP's are going to be even worst.
:agree: :agree: :agree:
What else can I say!:thumbs:
I am willing to bet that you could drive one for a year and resell with little or no loss. The only thing that could change this would be for GM to boost up production significantly, and I dont see that happening.
I wouldn't mind owning two of them, my present one and a Redline, but my wife would think I went over the edge.
:cheers:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,287 Posts
Me Too

jdigiant said:
I love my car, love driving it every day. For me, it was very much worth paying over MSRP to get the car sooner rather than later. That's an easy call for me as I am able to afford it, and I still ended up paying less than I expected to for the car (I decided I was going to buy it before pricing was announced.) For some it doesn't make sense to pay over MSRP to get the car sooner. For me, it did.
I have to agree.
It was either, PAY a little over Now or wait and see what happens.
I am one who does not want to wait!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Luke Sky Watcher said:
:agree: :agree: :agree:
What else can I say!:thumbs:
I am willing to bet that you could drive one for a year and resell with little or no loss. The only thing that could change this would be for GM to boost up production significantly, and I dont see that happening.
I wouldn't mind owning two of them, my present one and a Redline, but my wife would think I went over the edge.
:cheers:
Nah, wouldn't bet on it. It'll be like Every other niche car to come down the pike, it'll depreciate like they all do. You can buy the are msrp now, mark my words, dead of winter they'll deal.

Dealership here in columbus GA has 2 solstice unsold at list.

Chris

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,570 Posts
bullseye said:
Nah, wouldn't bet on it. It'll be like Every other niche car to come down the pike, it'll depreciate like they all do. You can buy the are msrp now, mark my words, dead of winter they'll deal.

Chris
The Elise is also a niche car... and far from being a Lambourghini of any kind which also usually depreciate... as do Ferarris and Maseratis... they all have units in stock on their lots... yet they are sought after and don't sell under MSRP. Know a similarity between all those cars I mentioned and Saturn??? All sell at MSRP... with some locations being able to sell for more.

Until Saturn changes their "People First" philosophy... you won't find a new car for under MSRP... dead of winter or not.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
bullseye said:

Chris
It will depreciate some, ( no one said otherwise ) when the 2007 Solstice come out I believe you will see the used 2006 value go down, but I don't think alot. But You won't be seeing any new Sky or Solstice sold below MSRP for year's. Mark my word's, you won't see them deal in the dead of winter. They didn't with the Solstice and I don't think they will with the Sky.

I'm pre-trading my Solstice for my GXP the last day of June and my Dealership is giving me 26,033.00 for trade value which is what I paid for it back October the 6th with the add on's ( Tonneau,cat back,splash guards) I don't want to wait because of the 2007 coming out in July. It could go down some, but I can't driver it due to 3 shoulder surgery's, so I might as well pre-trade it and make sure I loose nothing.

·
Registered
994 Posts
You do the math

deluke said:
They are not really any more rare than the Solstice but the Solstice got 7/8 months jump on the Sky. That's why you don't see as many sky's, they just started a 2/3 months ago for production. Wait another 6/7 months.

You have 450 Saturn dealerships with a production of 10,000 Sky's, you have 2500 Pontiac dealerships with a production of 20,000 Solstice. You do the math. Your better off looking for a sky.
Couple of thoughts:

1) I did see the guy in Canada selling his place on eBay and wouldn't trust it.

2) More importantly, if the cars are divided up equally, which I hope they are not, that would mean 22.22 cars per dealer. Did I do the math right? So if I am #39 at my dealer, Saturn of Bowie, MD, then I don't get a car this year :brentil: Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Don't understand why wait, when dealers have cars at MSRP now, why not fly to a dealer that's got one at MSRP and drive it home? The dealer here in town has one for sale at list and one coming next week at list.

Chris

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have mine listed on Autotrader for $32,000. I paid MSRP for the car but had extras tacked on by the dealer which brought the car price up. The extras are actually pretty nice but a little expensive.
LoJack Early warning
R-2000 treatment
Extended Warranty

I have actually grown to love the car even more after using it more. But we ran into a snag that since I wanted to get a manual since Saturn doesn't offer an electronic manual shifter, now no one in my family can drive it but me. I went away for a weekend and no one could move my car. So I am selling her.

Ad right now says $33,000 but I dropped it to $32,000 and take a small hit on it.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...=2007&start_year=1981&isp=y&lang=en&cardist=0

1 - 20 of 20 Posts