Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2007 Sky 2.4 engine 110,000 miles.
Check engine light with code P0365 Camshaft Position Sensor B circuit 1 Bank 1, so right/passenger side. Both sensors replaced along with both solenoids. Car has a slow start and sometime throws P0365 again. I replaced the new CPS on the right side with the original from the left/driver side, assuming that it is OK And the new CPS could be defective. AC Delco parts. Fresh oil change. Battery terminals were clean and charged. Still a slow start. Sometimes it’s starts OK, other times with delay. CEL comes on sometimes after a slow or incomplete start. Seems to start better if I press the accelerator a little when the starter starts turning.
Any ideas?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Here are a few influentials to inspect for a slow-start condition.

1) What is the condition of your air filter? Maybe a rodent moved in the air box. Inspect the input area, the dirty side of the air filter box.

2) Visually inspect your 4 spark plugs for oil submersion. An old dry and cracked valve cover gasket will do that as I found with my 2.4L at 118,000 miles.

3) While doing that inspection, remove the 4 ignition coils and disassemble them. They easily come apart in I think 3 pieces. Inspect them and clean what is dirty or otherwise suspicious, let the parts sit to dry overnight, then reassemble.

Here is a pic showing the second plug from left filled with oil.
Circuit component Electronic component Audio equipment Electronic instrument Hardware programmer

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Here are a few influentials to inspect for a slow-start condition.

1) What is the condition of your air filter? Maybe a rodent moved in the air box. Inspect the input area, the dirty side of the air filter box.

2) Visually inspect your 4 spark plugs for oil submersion. An old dry and cracked valve cover gasket will do that as I found with my 2.4L at 118,000 miles.

3) While doing that inspection, remove the 4 ignition coils and disassemble them. They easily come apart in I think 3 pieces. Inspect them and clean what is dirty or otherwise suspicious, let the parts sit to dry overnight, then reassemble.

Here is a pic showing the second plug from left filled with oil.
View attachment 120839
Air filter is good. A few small leaves in the box below the filter.
No oil in the bottoms of the spark plug wells.

How involved it pulling the valve cover and about how much time? I can do it but I fear that a plastic retaining clip will break each time I touch one.

·
Premium Member
2007 emerald green 2.4
399 Posts
If you can check your fuel pressure might be getting weak and injectors won't open up without a certain psi. I've had several silverado's that when the pump started to go , would run ok but shut it off and wouldn't start. Fuel pump was working but not good enough to get the injectors open to start. One went completely and was an easy find ..

·
Administrator
8,700 Posts
If the starter turns slow and the battery is seven years old, a new battery is the first step.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of the ideas.

It’s more of a no start then on next try it starts. Sometimes it starts right away other times on second try. Starter is turning over fine and sounds strong.

The no start, then start happened after I changed the sensors. Sometimes it starts right up. I have removed the sensors and solenoids and checked for problems and reinstalled. Still a P0365.

I don’t remember when I replaced the battery but think the one that’s in it, AC Delco Professional, is the second but could be 3rd which makes more sense with 15 years old. Can’t figure out a date on the battery or where it might be on the battery. Not running voltage is 12.5, running 14.3 so I think it’s OK and charging.

I will check the fuel pressure, I might be able to borrow a gauge from a neighbor, but sometimes it will sit then start up four times in a row.

I have also posted on the Solstice forum. I’m beginning to think it is the ECM from the circuit test posted over there.

Again, thanks for the ideas. If I can’t get it sorted out by the weekend it’s off to the shop.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Thanks for all of the ideas.

It’s more of a no start then on next try it starts. Sometimes it starts right away other times on second try. Starter is turning over fine and sounds strong.

The no start, then start happened after I changed the sensors. Sometimes it starts right up. I have removed the sensors and solenoids and checked for problems and reinstalled. Still a P0365.

I don’t remember when I replaced the battery but think the one that’s in it, AC Delco Professional, is the second but could be 3rd which makes more sense with 15 years old. Can’t figure out a date on the battery or where it might be on the battery. Not running voltage is 12.5, running 14.3 so I think it’s OK and charging.

I will check the fuel pressure, I might be able to borrow a gauge from a neighbor, but sometimes it will sit then start up four times in a row.

I have also posted on the Solstice forum. I’m beginning to think it is the ECM from the circuit test posted over there.

Again, thanks for the ideas. If I can’t get it sorted out by the weekend it’s off to the shop.
Hard start may be due to an EVAP issue. Does it run well after it starts?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is the CPS connector for the right side. I don’t know if this happened during the replacement or before and was on the way to breaking. This side is really tight and hard to get at. I finally started disconnecting and pulling back the wiring harness and this is what I found, a broken wire.

Any idea if a connector with a pig tail is available? Part #?
Or how to release the wires. I have the picture and have written down colors and orientation.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle

·
Premium Member
2007 emerald green 2.4
399 Posts
You have to pull the white retainer off and it should unplugged with the tab pushed in. The white piece keeps the tab locked so it won't come off on its own.
Hopefully you can find a part number, looks like you might have found your issue..

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Replacing the connection fixed the problem, purchased from NAPA #EC 493 it looks like the original except all the wires are grey so I identified wire colors on the new connection in multiple places to match the original colors. Cut the old one off, soldered, shrink wrap the new connection and put in new split conduit. Remember to keep it simple and check the basics first. Fuses, wiring, clean connections etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts