Saturn Sky Forum banner

Small aluminum particles found in oil filter

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  rjgramps 
#1 ·
I find small specs of aluminum on my oil filter element whenever I change the oil on my Redline.

This has been going on since I bought the car in August of 2020. I've put about 7000 miles on it. It currently shows just over 35000 miles. I change oil and filter every 2000 miles.

What's baffling is that the total quantity of aluminum found on the filter is about the same whether I put 20 or 2000 miles on the oil and filter. Car runs fine, with zero oil or coolant usage. Plugs look fine, although cylinder #3 looks just a tad darker than the other 3. Blackstone oil analysis comes back normal. I used a Teslong borescope to look at the cylinder walls. All 4 look pretty much like new, with the crosshatch still prominent.

The car has a Big Wheel K04 turbo, ZZP HPFP, custom Trifecta E85 tune, RPI GT Exhaust with Hi-Flow Cat, Dejon intercooler and cold air plumbing. It performs extremely well, better than a GMPP tuned car. But whether I go easy on it or flog it to no end, the results seen on the filter are the same.

I'm beginning to think that whatever condition causes this only occurs when I start the car immediately after an oil change. I tend to be anal when I drain the oil. I let it get up to full temp before removing the drain plug. Then I let the oil drain out for several hours before R&R'ng filter and adding oil. Could I be draining too long allowing oil to drain from places it shouldn't, causing engine to take too long for the oil pressure to come up?

If anyone has any thoughts on this I'd like to hear them.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Pull out the two solenoids located on top of the valve cover, and inspect them for metal shavings. That may verify the timing chain being the culprit, making contact somewhere it should not. Hopefully someone who has experienced timing chain issues will elaborate.

I drain my oil very hot and let it drip for a minimum of one hour, sometimes overnight. But I have the 2.4 N/A engine.

#3 ·
You can easily determine whether it is caused by the oil change by changing the filter without changing the oil.

For what its worth (not much probably) I change my oil at 6-9000 miles (20% on the Oil Life Monitor) or annually, whichever comes first. I get the engine warm, drain it for however long it takes to change the filter, then refill with Castrol Syntec. I have not seen particles like that in any of my engines, NA Sky with 112k, RL Sky with 92k, Equinox with 150k.

#5 ·
I picked up a new Wix 57082 filter today. Before replacing it I pulled the cam phaser actuator solenoids to take a look inside with my borescope, as rjgramps suggested. Very clean, no sign of aluminum debris at all.

I then did as JohnWR suggested and removed the oil filter to replace it. I didn't see ANY aluminum on it, even in bright sunlight. I looked between all of the pleats. Nothing. I have about 350 miles on this oil change. Past history indicates that I should have found aluminum debris.

I installed the new filter and ran it until it got up to operating temperature. I then pulled the filter to examine it. No aluminum. I reinstalled the filter then took the car for a 35 mile drive. I was by no means easy on it. Came back, pulled the filter - nothing! Clean as a whistle!

I'm baffled, but I'm happy to see that this issue cleared up on its own. Not sure why. Is it possible that this problem was due to some debris from the block or head machining process that got packed into a corner or hole that simply began to break free over time?

Who knows?

This reminds of the time that I had a major shoulder problem that had persisted for at least 6 months. My wife made an appointment for me with an orthopedic doc that was a month into the future. 2 days before the appointment the shoulder problem cleared up. Go figure!

Thank you for all your help and suggestions. I'm now fairly certain that this isn't a major failure waiting to happen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.