Saturn Sky Forum banner

Small Block V8?

4K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  marklynn70 
#1 ·
If GM was smart they would offer a version of the 6.0L LS2 V8 SFI for those who are willing to pay a little extra for the ultimate Sky/Solstice roadster for under $30K. People (even the elite who normally buy Mercedes SLK, Porsche Boxsters, BMW Z4s, and Audi TT roadsters) would go completely nuts trying to get their hands on one--GM would get a much needed boost in image and reputation. But GM will never do this because they are too insecure about the Corvette--they will not risk hurting Vette sales because it's likely that a Sky/Soltice with an LS2 V8 would smoke a Vette and for that reason they won't do it. But they could restrict the motor to reduce output the same way they did back in 1993 when they introduced the F-bodies with a version of the Vette motor (LT1). That motor was restricted in the F-bodies to 275 HP.

I'm interested to hear anyone's thoughts on this topic.

#2 ·
Is there such a thing as too much power on such a light car. (I'm sure that is a retorical question for most of you) A friend of mine has a Diablo Roadster, V12 and all that Jazz.. but it is heavier and requires that kind of push. However, the Sky/Sol is under 3000 lbs, how much of a risk does this present. I also doubt that this kind of engine would still keep the price under 30K. Seeing as Mallet will have to upgrade the drive train to handle the upgraded torque.. and so on..

Then if you where going to drop the HP from the vette motor to 275 why then would you not just up the lighter echotech to 275 and get the wizz from the turbos this way you maintain the vette edge and the fuel economy of the smaller engine in the Sky.

as is, the Redline at 240 hp should shoot this thing up to 60 in low 5 range.. are we thinking if we get it closer to 300 hp we have a chance at breaking the under 5 mark?

I love fast cars, but if you need to get there fast.. may be you should leave earlier :)

#3 · (Edited)
275HP was just an example. The 93' Vette, if I recall correctly, came with a 300HP LT1 V8. So to prevent the F-bodies from equaling the Vette's performance, GM restricted the F-bodies output to 275HP. 25HP less than the Vette.

That was the situation in 1993, but now lets fast forward to 2005. The LS2 puts out 400HP, so perhaps GM can restrict it to 375HP/350HP to keep the Sky/Solstice from outperforming the Vette. That's the point I was trying to make. As for gas mileage the LS2 '05 Vette gets 18 mpg (city) and 26-28 mpg (highway). The Sky/Solstice is estimated to get 22 mpg (city) and 28 mpg (highway). As you see gas mileage will be basically the same even with the LS2.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the LS2 should be standard equipment. But it should be an option for those who want it. Just like you have choices between motors with other GM models, I don't see why we can't have a choice with these roadsters.

Also, GM could do it for much less than Mallet. It will not cost anywhere near 18K for such an option. They did that, as I stated before, with the Camaro/Firebird F-bodies in '93. By the way, the F-bodies came with a choice of motors--a V6 or LT1 V8. I bought my fully loaded LT1 Trans Am for $21,000 back then--cheap considering it had a Vette motor with a 6-speed Dodge Viper tranny.

#4 ·
GM has been in detail talks with Mallett Cars about their decision to procduce an LS2 Solstice/Sky. The bottom line is that GM wants to market the car as an affordable 2 seat roadster and beat the Mazda MX-5 in sales. GM will guage whether or not the public would be willing to buy a Corvette powered kappa car after sales for the original kappa cars sales start to fall from their expected peak. Your right in that GM has no interest at this time on stepping into the Corvette market and its history. What is going to be interesting though is to see how well the press and public will accept the Mallett versions on these cars over the next 2 years.

If and when the kappa car sales start to fall in the future, and Mallett is selling more than he can make you will see GM produce the LS2 version only. My best guess is GM could offer such a car at $38k in todays dollars. Mallett is going to be just a little more than that number to start. Interestingly, the new LS7 (505 hp) engine is the same size as the LS2 and can be swapped directly in place of the LS2. Corvette is king of the sports cars with GM; don't expect to see that change anytime soon.

#5 · (Edited)
Delnari,

The only issue I have with what Mallet is doing is the price. It will cost approximately $43,000 (25k + 18k) for the modification. That price makes it a non-starter for me considering you can get a brand new Vette for about $40,000 (coupe) and $46,000 (convertible). What will be the book value on your Mallet modifed Sky/Solstice in 5 years? Spending more than the price of a Vette (coupe) for the modification doesn't make economic sense at all. You probably will be severely hurt when it's time to sell a car whose sticker price was less than 25k, but you put 18k in modifications into it. I would much prefer GM to do all the work. That way you won't get hurt when it's time to sell your car. It would be great if we could purchase the Sky/Solstice from GM without an engine and tranny then send it to Mallet (I know this is not possible).

And what about the Pontiac GTO? I completely forgot about that car--it uses a version of the LS2 motor and 6-speed tranny. It produces 400HP and 400 (lb-ft) Torque. But it's weight/bulk and extreme sloppiness prevents it from outperforming the Vette.

The point is that GM has used and continues to use Vette motors in other cars. So I don't see why in this particular instance it would be such a big deal to offer it as an option in these new roadsters.

#6 · (Edited)
I'm going to sound like a broken record but GM has on many occasions said the current Kappa architecture was completely designed around an i4 motor. YES you can modify a car like Mallett plans to do to fit one, but according to GM a v6/v8 will not fit within their tolerenace/specification levels. Maybe a possible future Kappa redesign could fit a v8. I don't really expect to see a platform redesign for at least 5 years. Especially with the supposed Turbocharged platform they have coming out soon. I really expect to see GM spend more effort tuning and beefing up the Turbocharged ECOTEC platform if that is what they go with.

I would like to point out though that Mallett cars hold a very high selling price, because they're... Mallett's. The name holds in theindustry apparently for car value.

#7 ·
radtech said:
Delnari,

The only issue I have with what Mallet is doing is the price. It will cost approximately $43,000 (25k + 18k) for the modification. That price makes it a non-starter for me considering you can get a brand new Vette for about $40,000 (coupe) and $46,000 (convertible). What will be the book value on your Mallet modifed Sky/Solstice in 5 years? Spending more than the price of a Vette (coupe) for the modification doesn't make economic sense at all. You probably will be severely hurt when it's time to sell a car whose sticker price was less than 25k, but you put 18k in modifications into it. I would much prefer GM to do all the work. That way you won't get hurt when it's time to sell your car. It would be great if we could purchase the Sky/Solstice from GM without an engine and tranny then send it to Mallet (I know this is not possible).

And what about the Pontiac GTO? I completely forgot about that car--it uses a version of the LS2 motor and 6-speed tranny. It produces 400HP and 400 (lb-ft) Torque. But it's weight/bulk and extreme sloppiness prevents it from outperforming the Vette.

The point is that GM has used and continues to use Vette motors in other cars. So I don't see why in this particular instance it would be such a big deal to offer it as an option in these new roadsters.
To each their own. Personally, I don't want to be like every other car on the road!

#8 ·
Delnari said:
To each their own. Personally, I don't want to be like every other car on the road!
I contacted Mallet yesterday and raised the same questions and issues regarding the re-sale value of a Mallet modified car as well as the fact that the cost for the modification works out to more than a brand new Vette (coupe).

Here is what Mr. Mallet said:

Hello ****,
You have a good point !
But your Corvette will be slower !!
This is for the person that does not want a corvette !!
And in the 5 year speculation the Corvette will be worth less !
Thank you ! for your point of view.

Chuck Mallett

#9 ·
why a v8

the ecotec motor can handle so much power why put in the extra weight of an 8 the stock bottom end of the ecotec can handle like 950 hp on the stock bottom end so just do a good turbo set up for $4000 to $6000 dollars and make more power for less money then do the suspension and get a carbon fiber front end (50/50 weight distrobution)spend less money and have a car that you can drive all the time just turn the boost down for the street and up for track days it to me makes more sense

#10 ·
onefastx said:
the ecotec motor can handle so much power why put in the extra weight of an 8 the stock bottom end of the ecotec can handle like 950 hp on the stock bottom end so just do a good turbo set up for $4000 to $6000 dollars and make more power for less money then do the suspension and get a carbon fiber front end (50/50 weight distrobution)spend less money and have a car that you can drive all the time just turn the boost down for the street and up for track days it to me makes more sense
Are you planning to get the Sky Redline (turbo) or will you add your own to the regular Sky? Also, what is the max HP you can get from a turbo without any other modifications?

#11 ·
onefastx said:
This is what I was saying, it's a great concept. You can have your high speed fun, maintain most of the car in one piece and you keep the I4. In the long run you save money because of the better efficiency of the engine and the costs of the upgrades. And you still have a barn stormer on your hands.

#12 · (Edited)
radtech said:
Are you planning to get the Sky Redline (turbo) or will you add your own to the regular Sky? Also, what is the max HP you can get from a turbo without any other modifications?
i am not going to wait for the redline i am going to buy the regular one if you look at all the redlines they run a 2.0 not a 2.4 i could get a little bit more with the 2.4 max power depends on the how strong the head is and who good the ecu is i have heard that on the stock motor and ecu setup you can run 400 to 500 hp so with a good suspension and tires sway bars and a roll cage ( it is a roadster) i should be able to take to a road course and eat vettes all day long

#13 ·
onefastx said:
i am not going to wait for the redline i am going to buy the regular one if you look at all the redlines they run a 2.0 not a 2.4 i could get a little bit more with the 2.4 max power depends on the how strong the head is and who good the ecu is i have heard that on the stock motor and ecu setup you can run 400 to 500 hp so with a good suspension and tires sway bars and a roll cage ( it is a roadster) i should be able to take to a road course and eat vettes all day long
How much do you think it will cost for a 400HP-500HP turbo setup? Also, considering the high compression of the motor, will this be possible without messing with the internals?

#14 ·
modifying the I4 with a bigger turbo and electronics seems to be a cost effective way to increase the performance of the sky. I dont know how much power the little four can produce and or live with. But for those who can afford the V8 and appreciates originality and more importantly TORQUE, there is no replacement for displacement. Take a drive in a viper and you will understand.

Take two people at a local cruise night - one with a modified I4 turbo sky and another with an LS2 or better yet an LS7 sky (perhaps add a supercharger in the mix...) who do you think will get ALL the attention? Then think who will win at the race track.

To me the answer is obivious. Those who do it right and can afford a V8 are not worried about resale. And with a V8 kappa, who would be selling?! :lol:

#15 · (Edited)
geerhed said:
modifying the I4 with a bigger turbo and electronics seems to be a cost effective way to increase the performance of the sky. I dont know how much power the little four can produce and or live with. But for those who can afford the V8 and appreciates originality and more importantly TORQUE, there is no replacement for displacement. Take a drive in a viper and you will understand.

Take two people at a local cruise night - one with a modified I4 turbo sky and another with an LS2 or better yet an LS7 sky (perhaps add a supercharger in the mix...) who do you think will get ALL the attention? Then think who will win at the race track.

To me the answer is obivious. Those who do it right and can afford a V8 are not worried about resale. And with a V8 kappa, who would be selling?! :lol:

i was waiting for someone to say that with a turbo you usaually have all your torque around 2500 to 300 rpm and will make make more torque than hp. plus the car will not handle nearly as good with that 8 when i first started looking at the sky the first thing i saw was nearly perfect 50/50 weight dist. why ruin that everyone should be buying this car for the same reason to go fast through a corner not a straight line if that is what you want buy a mustang convert dont ruin a good no great thing. like i said before the ecotec bottom end can handle 950 hp that is alot of power .

#16 ·
geerhed said:

I agree with you, but the fact is I cannot afford the $18,000 Mallet conversion. Don't get me wrong I absolutely LOVE the sound and the massive torgue of a V8. I had a 400HP LT1 Trans Am F-body with a Vortech Supercharger. The car was incredible to drive.

I would put the V8 in the Sky/Solstice in a heart beat--if I could afford it.

#17 ·
radtech said:
How much do you think it will cost for a 400HP-500HP turbo setup? Also, considering the high compression of the motor, will this be possible without messing with the internals?
it all depends on how much you know i will buy the manifold, turbo, boost controller, make all the piping and will be running about 350 hp until someone makes a programable ecu for it like aem then i will run like 350 street and 450 to 500 on a road coarse it will probably cost about 5000 but i will install and tune myself.

#18 ·
onefastx said:
it all depends on how much you know i will buy the manifold, turbo, boost controller, make all the piping and will be running about 350 hp until someone makes a programable ecu for it like aem then i will run like 350 street and 450 to 500 on a road coarse it will probably cost about 5000 but i will install and tune myself.
That price sounds much more reasonable than 18k, but I will have to have everything installed for me. Approx. how much for labor?

#19 ·
radtech said:
That price sounds much more reasonable than 18k, but I will have to have everything installed for me. Approx. how much for labor?

depends on the shop my friend has a compound forced induction setup on his mini cooper (supercharger and turbo) we had no idea how to add a turbo onto a supercharged car so he had it done with all the custom parts and the manifold turbo installed with an ecu flash it costed around 6800 and the guy who did it has his car in some mag dont remember exactly which one i will ask himm later today and let you know

#21 ·
Getting the 2.4L VVT ECOTEC up to around 500 HP is going to require a fairly large sum of money. The ECOTEC buildup article is a very good source of what you're going to have to do to get the engine to that range.
http://solstice.inner-ninja.com/ecotec_buildup.pdf

On the stock 2.2L ECOTEC engine the Rods, Pistons, Wrist Pins, and Rings all failed at 283HP and had to be replaced. At about 350HP there there were a good number of other engine parts and engine support systems that were required to be changed out. So I really bet you're talking about $4k-$5k for a nice Turbocharged/Intercooled system, and then easily another $3k-$5k of other expenses you have to pay on top of that for other parts. If you're not doing this yourself, don't forget to budget a ton of money on top of parts costs for labor costs. Dyno time, tuning time, etc.

#22 ·
One thing to consider, where a turbo would have an advantage -

turbos compensate for density changes in intake due to temperature. That helps a bit, but they also definitely FULLY compensate for altitude changes in density, up to the max capability of the turbo compressor. IOW, at sea level you may have a 400 HP N/A 8 cylinder, but this will NOT be the case at 7,000 feet (just out of the Denver valley, for example). BUT the turbo will be pretty much the same torque and power up to 5,000, or maybe 6 or 7,000 altitude - depending on the capability of the turbo compressor itself.

Past the altitude limit of the compressor, the turbo engine starts losing capability subject to density changes, but it doesn't start losing capability until it has reaced the max altitude, where the N/A will have been loosing power with altitude all the way.

Just food for thought.

#23 ·
v8?

Except on the track I don't see the need, other than just because, that the kappa platform needs 400 hp or that the car would even be tractable with that much to unleash. Rumored first official power upgrades have all centered around the smaller displacement 2.0T from the Cobalt, with around 220 hp. GM also has a slightly larger 2.3T in the Saabs that puts out 250hp and 258 lbs-ft of torque. As far as usual powerplant upgrades go iof done by the factory should be a straightforward $1000 upgrade. Saab has also developed and will have for sale shortly a supercharged and turbo engine that in 2.3 size would put out well over 300hp WITHOUT HAVING TO MODIFY ENGINE MOUNTS. Sorry for yelling but if we want to home modify the kappas for higher output yet retain resale value then one answer lies in buying a crate motor from Saab and doing a little shadetree r&r, shrinkwrap the 2.4 you remove to reinstall when you trade or sell the car/ too bad we can't buy the car as a kit or built with customer's selection of engine. Trucking industry does this on regular basis - buy a Peterbilt with choice of DetroitDiesel, Caterpillar, Cummins, even buy an International with an International or CAT or Cummins. So think about the possibilities here of buying a GM product with a Toyota engine- oh yeah it's already being done (Vibe)

#26 ·
If you want to see a crazy V8 Solstice (and you live on the East Coast) check out Hot Rod Power Tour, the Hot Rod V8 (LS7) Solstice will be on the Tour.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.