Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Penske will sell Smarts in U.S. for DaimlerChrysler

DETROIT -- DaimlerChrysler AG will bring the two-seat Smart fortwo minicar to the United States in the first quarter of 2008 and will use entrepreneur Roger Penske to sell and service the vehicles.

Penske is CEO of retail chain UnitedAuto Group Inc., which operates 173 new-car franchises. UnitedAuto ranks No. 2 on the Automotive News list of the top 100 dealership groups in the United States. The company sold 178,157 new vehicles in 2005.

Smart already is sold in 36 countries. Italy is the brand's biggest market, with annual sales of 40,000 units.

DaimlerChrysler expects to sell 20,000 Smart fortwo models annually in the United States, with an emphasis on urban markets on the West and East coasts. Smart's U.S. sales target is about half that of BMW's Mini brand.

The automaker originally planned to launch the Smart brand in the United States with a new, four-seat SUV. But the plan collapsed as mounting Smart losses forced DaimlerChrysler to cut costs.

Reuters contributed to this report
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,219 Posts
When I went to Rome I thought those little Smart Cars were adorable! I wanted one just to have! Then I found out they weren't available in the USA. It was a fight to get them here too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,876 Posts
I heard they had to increase the size and weight to conform to USA laws. Let's see what they look like after:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Saw one in Tampa

First post.

I saw one if these in Tampa about a week ago. My wife pointed it out. This is the car from the DeVinci code right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
reminds me of those golf carts they try to sell to people in retirment villages and resorts as an electric commuter car....
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
Parthanon said:
First post.

I saw one if these in Tampa about a week ago. My wife pointed it out. This is the car from the DeVinci code right?


:eek: Good grief, can it get any uglier?? Yeah, can you imagine getting in an accident?? Looks like a plastic car, some thing my grandson would play with. T:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tolaiz said:
:eek: Good grief, can it get any uglier?? Yeah, can you imagine getting in an accident?? Looks like a plastic car, some thing my grandson would play with. T:cool:
looks like they copied this
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
I've driven one while in Hungary, they are a blast! Rear engine and rwd and they do everthing a big car does and they are plenty peppy. They get awesome mileage too, turbo 3 cylinder for 40 MPG.

They do well in crash tests when they hit something, if something hits them that would be a different story. Probably safer then a little roadster :nono:

People put Hayabusa motors in them and make them wicked fast.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bradyb said:
I've driven one while in Hungary, they are a blast! Rear engine and rwd and they do everthing a big car does and they are plenty peppy. They get awesome mileage too, turbo 3 cylinder for 40 MPG.

They do well in crash tests when they hit something, if something hits them that would be a different story. Probably safer then a little roadster :nono:

People put Hayabusa motors in them and make them wicked fast.
Maybe Rubbermaid should make the bodies, then they would just bounce off stuff, and if they do get dented just hit it from the other side with your fist like a Rubbermaid trash can... LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Saw these all over Paris, they are great little urban cars and are perfect for NY, Chicago, LA, etc. Think of them more as safer replacements for motorcycles than replacements for American's silly obsession with massive SUVs.

They are actually rated very high for crashes, but they are also not very stable in a high speed turn because they are tall so tall compared to the wheel base.

I think it is great they are coming here, I thin they look good, and I am happy to see small cars coming back in style thanks to high gas prices.
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
3,491 Posts
krazygoat said:
Saw these all over Paris, they are great little urban cars and are perfect for NY, Chicago, LA, etc.
Ummm, something tells me you are not from L.A.

I could see one of those bopping around Manhattan interspersed with the sea of Taxi Cabs and bicycle couriers. But in L.A., where people live 50 miles from work (or more) and have to mix it up on the freeway with Hummers going 85? It gives me the heebie-jeebies to take my SKY into some of those environments, let alone a Li'l Tykes pedal car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,876 Posts
jdigiant said:
Ummm, something tells me you are not from L.A.

I could see one of those bopping around Manhattan interspersed with the sea of Taxi Cabs and bicycle couriers. But in L.A., where people live 50 miles from work (or more) and have to mix it up on the freeway with Hummers going 85? It gives me the heebie-jeebies to take my SKY into some of those environments, let alone a Li'l Tykes pedal car.
Chicago??? OK maybe if you parked in Grant Park and only drove in the downtown... But getting there you'd be crushed!
More of a suburban run-around
 
1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Top