Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I ordered a Smooth Lines Club Racer hardtop (Smooth Line: Hardtop: Saturn Sky/Opel GT) recently and now my body shop and I are having a lot of difficulty getting it to fit. Smooth Lines keeps insisting we're fitting it wrong, but we've fitted it and refitted it again and again, following the directions to a T, and improvising as well and the darn thing just won't seal. They claim they have 100% customer satisfaction. Has anyone else had experience with them/this hardtop?

Edit: This is the message I sent to Smooth Lines:

I went over to Bodies by Brown today to take a look at the top and mess around with it a bit myself. I see what they're talking about. After some fiddling I was able to get the front of the top snug with the windshield and the pin/hook attached but it was extremely difficult and took better part of twenty minutes to get it in place and bolted down. After it was all bolted down, I took some pictures, which are attached.

The roof was not repositioned or relocated between each shot. You can see it is centered on the car and fitting to the best of its ability. However, there is large gap between the rear deck and the cover even with the rubber sealer on there no matter how we position it. It looks like the cuts in the hard top for the rear deck humps are not tall enough to fit it properly. I'm concerned maybe this top was designed for a Solstice and not the Sky as I believe the Sky has slightly steeper rear deck humps.

In addition, the passenger side window has a large gap between it and the top. We simulated putting the rubber weather stripping and it still left a gap on the passenger side. Whereas on the driver side it looks like it fits properly; the gap between the flat inside surface of the window and the hardtop, as well as from the edge of the window and the hardtop are both minimal so that the weather stripping would create a snug fit. On the passenger side, the gap between the inside flat surface of the window and the hardtop as well as the edge of the window and the hardtop are large enough for me to pretty easily put my hand through. With the rubber sealer in place it did not create a snug fit and parts of the window either didn't or only barely made contact with the sealer. It all fits correctly with the stock soft-top.

I followed the directions about positioning it and mounting it and everything looked like it was in the best possible place and it still did not fit properly. Please check out the pictures and confirm. I believe the top may have manufacturing defects and/or if there is a slight variation in models for the Sky and Solstice, this may be for the wrong one. Either way I would call this a case of poor Quality Assurance as the top definitely does not fit the car properly.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
If I'm reading your 2nd and 3rd pictures correctly, I think you have a Solstice top trying to fit on a Sky body. The humps are a different shape on the two cars.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I'm reading your 2nd and 3rd pictures correctly, I think you have a Solstice top trying to fit on a Sky body. The humps are a different shape on the two cars.
That was my first thought. Though, the passenger side window has a large gap between the top and the window as well so I'm also thinking of manufacturing error or design flaw.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
That was my first thought. Though, the passenger side window has a large gap between the top and the window as well so I'm also thinking of manufacturing error or design flaw.
Other people have them and they fit pretty well, so I'd guess it's not a design flaw. They are a pretty reputable company, though I have heard of one other customer who had fitment problems, but he had the other top they make, I think it's called the Lemans.

Scan solsticeforum.com as there are several satisfied customers on there, as well as the one that had problems.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
I was at there website last night looking to get a carbon fiber top for mine.
I hope Smooth line takes care of this or Im out! :-(

·
Registered
771 Posts

Humps are different? :huh: Never realized... indeed could be.

Perhaps "Rob The Elder" could verify – he has both?

Interesting...:willy:

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
I remember Darren commenting in one of the vids that the Solstice trunk lid was hydroformed, but the SKY trunk lid was conventionally pressed. I'm guessing that would definitely change the draw. It also makes sense that since the trunks don't match in general, the draw points wouldn't match either, even if pressed the same.

See time tag 3:00+

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well that could happen if you tried to put the smaller Solstice humped top on to the larger Sky humps, it could easily angle and make a gap on one side while it pulls close to the other.

Though I think the more likely explanation is that it was made without being fitted and having the final touches done on an actual car. Just coming out of the mold isn't good enough to fit on a car more times than not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.