Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Worth getting? I'm on the waiting list for the Sky Redline, currently don't have the advanced audio (single cd or 6) signed up for, but I'd be able to change it. The overall consensus is it would be better to spend that money towards an aftermarket system. Think I should do that? how much effort would it be to link the aftermarket system to the wheel controls?

to get the same quality from aftermarket, if it would require anywhere near the same amount of money, i'll just order that system.

what do people think?

·
Registered
262 Posts
You're sitting in a car, going down the road at 65 mph in a convertable. Exactly what difference are you going to hear in a TOP of the line sound system, verse the OEM. It's a convertable, not a sound stage.

Why have your car hacked up at Sid's Car Audio by the local 17 year old high school student? Don't forget, it's not just a stereo. There are other things intergrated in to it. XM (if you ordered it) Onstar, and who knows what else. If you want Sirrus for Howard Stern, get your own receiver and plug it in to the available input jack.

Stock is good enough for me.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Some quick thoughts about After Market vs. OEM/Top level Monsoon...

After Market:
More customization with dash and speakers
Potential to save money (or spend a lot more)
Better sounding Highs and Lows
Difficult to fit a custom sub without a lot of effort and money
Invites would-be theives to slash the roof of your baby to get the stereo
Potential for things like navigation, dvd, ect...

Monsoon:
No worries, good to go
Compliments dash opening and style perfectly
Easy addition of bass with custom sub and hidden amp
Decent sound for most drivers
All the functionality - steering wheel controls, auto-drive, aux, MP3...
XM is an expensive upgrade compared to third party options

Basically if you don't read Crutchfield on the toilet and constantly find ways to improve your car's stereo then the premium Monsoon is a decent choice with a fair price tag for what you get. I can not speak for the base line stereo but I would definately NOT recommend it if it is significantly less quality than the 2 higher end options.

For a stock radio, it can do what its got to do, but don't go thinking this is going to wow all the guys down at Myer Emco. I have the 6 disc w/ XM and though I am content now with it, I can already see myself changing out everything but the custom sub in due time - but I am one of those people who would do that almost no matter what the stock stereo sounded like.

Good luck!

·
Registered
256 Posts
When the top is down in a convertible and you are driving at 55 MPH, it becomes a lot harder to hear the radio. Extra output might make a difference. It's a lot more fun to cruise with the top down if you have the radio jamming.

On a side note, the amp for the monsoon is tucked behind the passenger seat and replaces the storage pocket. I don't know the specs on this amp or the dimensions but it might be difficult to find one that fits this space exactly.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
There are a few other problems to work out, all the warning, light off, door chimes, etc are through the radio, as for now no after market change over is offered...I would go with the Monsoon untill after market has a chance to look the car over and produce the goodies....Seal9:cheers:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the input, and actually yea, in a convertible, the quality of the audio system is probably more prevalent, because typically you're blasting it to overpower the wind noise.
if it's a crappy system, then it's going to sound majorly distorted, on the other hand if it's a good system you can still get clarity while it's blasting away ;p

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Freakazoid said:
thanks for the input, and actually yea, in a convertible, the quality of the audio system is probably more prevalent, because typically you're blasting it to overpower the wind noise.
if it's a crappy system, then it's going to sound majorly distorted, on the other hand if it's a good system you can still get clarity while it's blasting away ;p
Also -- with teh Monsoon -- it automatically blasts it

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
:thumbs: I love the Monsoon system, I have no problem listening to my music with the top down at highway speeds. With the auto volume adusting it is just awesome.:patriot:

·
Registered
669 Posts
Ok...here's my problem...

I ordered the one disk Monsoon without XM. My son just got a 2006 ION with the XM radio and I want it!!!:eek:

Is there a way for the dealer to add XM to my radio without having to have the xtra receiver...isn't there a module to add...or does the whole radio have to be replaced? Any help appreciated!

Since the car is being delivered, it's too late to change my order. :)

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,570 Posts
seal9 said:
There are a few other problems to work out, all the warning, light off, door chimes, etc are through the radio, as for now no after market change over is offered...I would go with the Monsoon untill after market has a chance to look the car over and produce the goodies....Seal9:cheers:
OEM Integration Adapter
For select 2003-up GM vehicles
Maintains all factory functions with aftermarket receiver

While it doesn't say the SKY is one of the select GM vehicles supported... I am hoping it is. The only problem with this is that the stock radio has to go somewhere else in the vehicle.

There is also the:
Metra VT-GMOS-04
General Motors Class II data bus interface
Retains ONSTAR system, factory door chime, and Bose system with aftermarket radio.

and

Metra GMRC-02
General Motors Class II data bus interface
Retains factory door chime with aftermarket radio

This last one won't work with Bose or Monsoon systems.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but can you get the monsoon and go with a aftermarket head unit?

I'm used to the lame Bose systems, and that means a propreiatry system, which leaves you with the fact you have to replace EVERYTHING down to wiring.

I'm basically trying to determine if I should get the cheapest base sound system and upgrade it all down to the wiring (which I prefer, actually), or I should cop out and get the monsoon with my head uunit.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,570 Posts
DarkkstaR said:
Pardon my ignorance, but can you get the monsoon and go with a aftermarket head unit?

I'm used to the lame Bose systems, and that means a propreiatry system, which leaves you with the fact you have to replace EVERYTHING down to wiring.

I'm basically trying to determine if I should get the cheapest base sound system and upgrade it all down to the wiring (which I prefer, actually), or I should cop out and get the monsoon with my head uunit.
From what I see, yes, you can swap out the head unit in some Monsoon systems, as long as you get the proper adapter.

I am going to be getting the base and swapping out it all.

·
Registered
29 Posts
todaresqSL2 said:
From what I see, yes, you can swap out the head unit in some Monsoon systems, as long as you get the proper adapter.

I am going to be getting the base and swapping out it all.
Probably the best way to go.

Any idea on sizes of speakers?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
DarkkstaR said:
Probably the best way to go.

Any idea on sizes of speakers?
Im pretty sure its 6.5'' in the door, 3.5'' in the side panel, tweeters in the front, and then there is the 8" sub which you probably wont want to mess with because I think its a custom fit job.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Freakazoid said:
Look it, I know some of you out there are real perfectionist when it comes to sound systems. But for me, with all the crap that is involved from, onstar, to door chimes, to the controls on the steering wheel, to everything else that I'm missing, I will be very happy with the upgraded OEM stock system that WORKS as designed without any aggravation.:rolleyes:

To me, it's still a convertible with a lot of noise. I just want to be able to hear Franky singing, "I did it my way".:)

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
dmbdlatc said:
Look it, I know some of you out there are real perfectionist when it comes to sound systems. But for me, with all the crap that is involved from, onstar, to door chimes, to the controls on the steering wheel, to everything else that I'm missing, I will be very happy with the upgraded OEM stock system that WORKS as designed without any aggravation.:rolleyes:

To me, it's still a convertible with a lot of noise. I just want to be able to hear Franky singing, "I did it my way".:)
Haha yeah ... those of us having these discussions are, for lack of a better term, "lunatics".

We have to change our car stereos because its almost like a little hobby in itself to us.

Not only do we want to have the satisfaction of thinking/talking about all the different ways we can configure our stereos, we also like to borrow from Mr. Sinatra when we say to people about our stereo "I did it my way".

btw- my XM Present #1 is Frank's Place

1 - 16 of 16 Posts