Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
I am most likely taking it to the shop I deal with. They have given me a pretty good price and it could be less.

If I/we do it, it will take quite awhile is my guess. It is a pain in the arse to move around without it running. This is not a mod day project. The whole front has to come off of it, and I have to find out what is missing there. It was cobbled back together for sure.

I ended up paying 2K for the car, as I knew too much was wrong besides the engine. The air bag light has me worried, but pretty sure the passenger side is good. I can see that whoever did the rebuild was only looking for making money on it, so sensors would most likely not have been replaced. I feel sorry for Dan, but I have to figure the end cost. I am not paying for the engine, but I did in the past, so it is money put into this car. Still think it will be less than 7500 with everything, unless I do the RK hood.

Patti likes the Falken paint scheme, so will have the graphics guy look at it. I want her to be happy with it, and that sounds a lot better than Hello Kitty to me!

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Oh, come on! Go Hello Kitty!

Related note, there was a 350lb lineman for Kansas City Chiefs who owned a smart car and had it painted with Hello Kitty. I very much doubt anyone laughed at him.

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
Dropped the car at the shop, discount price means not first in line, which is okay with me. Said two weeks most likely. I am fine with that. Will also have the body work corrected there.

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
There is antifreeze/water in the oil, so at least a head gasket, and head being sent out for check. It turns out cheaper to put the new engine in and not worry about it. I can rebuild the other one as time allows. The Turbo line did blow, and the car has zero compression. It will not start. They are looking at it today, but feel it will be nothing but trouble down the road. I do not want that.

With everything on the new engine, AC, water pump, pullies, power steering, turbo, cat, starter all being new, it is a much easier switch over.

I dealt with getting it loaded and unloaded Saturday, Sunday and yesterday. Not a lot of fun when it does not run.

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
I dropped the engine off this afternoon. Auto body man thinks the car is good, no real frame damage, will know more after it sets on the frame machine. The aluminum crumple zone did not collapse, nor does it show damage other than on the end, with the hood adjuster being bent.

·
Super Moderator
11,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'm seeing your pictures in the other thread that Vic posted. I'm glad it looks like the body work is minor and you have that other engine to drop in. Can't wait to see the two of you on the road with that car.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey guys,

The wife has given her blessing. The only thing now we have to wait for is the kids baseball game schedule. Should be out next week. Stay tuned...

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
She told all of her girlfriends about it tonight at dinner. I think she is very excited about having it to drive to work. A neat car and one of the twistiest roads in California to drive every day.

·
Registered
323 Posts
110 degrees in Riverside Saturday.

Car ran 216 219 then 221 degrees. hotest point was on the 91 freeway at 15 mph.

That seems too high.

Is this normal?

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I would think once the temp gets to the 220's, shut off. Mine has gotten to the 210's in high heat but usually it's also because of elevation. Could be a few things. Sticky thermostat, air bubble in system(very typical in our cars).

·
Super Moderator
11,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Hey guys,

The wife has given her blessing. The only thing now we have to wait for is the kids baseball game schedule. Should be out next week. Stay tuned...
Sweeeeeeeet. We'll try and coordinate with the events already on the calendar and the ball games. Sure we can figure something out.

110 degrees in Riverside Saturday.

Car ran 216 219 then 221 degrees. hotest point was on the 91 freeway at 15 mph.

That seems too high.

Is this normal?
Mine gets fairly hot in that weather in that traffic. I've seen 221 but not higher. Above 225 and I'd be worried something was amiss. I believe we have a 190 degree t-stat meaning it only starts to open at 190 degrees.

However, that said...

I would think once the temp gets to the 220's, shut off. Mine has gotten to the 210's in high heat but usually it's also because of elevation. Could be a few things. Sticky thermostat, air bubble in system(very typical in our cars).
All this is correct too. High heat plus sitting is nearly stopped traffic is going to send your temps up but you could also have an air bubble in the system. that is easy enough to fix though and something I can show you how to do at the ModDay. A bigger issue is how the air got in there. IF your coolant in the overflow tank isn't at the proper level, air can be introduced there into the system. If it is at the right level, then it could be the water pump leak issue.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Been gone a bit. When's Mod Day Robo?

·
Registered
323 Posts
I already checked air in the system via the video.

Maybe I need to check again.

I can't remember if I checked it after they tightened the hose clamp on the heater hose.

Temps were fine until you slowed in traffic to 20 then 15 then stop and go. At the same time the more I raveled East the hotter the outside temps got.

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
I know some of the experts are going to cringe at this, but my dealership lead, was a Saturn lead in the day. He gave me some paper work explaining the temperature and when and what happened. I never read it, it is buried some where at the shop. will try to find. But he stated that 220 is where the fan comes on, nothing to concern yourself about. If it is hot outside the car will run hotter (duh). I was very concerned about it, and mine runs a little warmer than I would like, right at 200 I would guess. But my dually maintains 210 and is not even at the halfway mark on the gauge which goes to about 260 I believe before it would be in the red.

These cars set low, bring in air through the front and from underneath, setting on a hot black top road is going to make the temperature rise for sure. And we had some of the hottest days of the year last couple of weeks. I think your good Razz.

·
Super Moderator
11,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Been gone a bit. When's Mod Day Robo?
Don't have a date set yet...looks like knysna99 will be hosting and he's going to get us some possible dates when his kids' game schedule comes out later this week.

I know some of the experts are going to cringe at this, but my dealership lead, was a Saturn lead in the day. He gave me some paper work explaining the temperature and when and what happened. I never read it, it is buried some where at the shop. will try to find. But he stated that 220 is where the fan comes on, nothing to concern yourself about. If it is hot outside the car will run hotter (duh). I was very concerned about it, and mine runs a little warmer than I would like, right at 200 I would guess. But my dually maintains 210 and is not even at the halfway mark on the gauge which goes to about 260 I believe before it would be in the red.

These cars set low, bring in air through the front and from underneath, setting on a hot black top road is going to make the temperature rise for sure. And we had some of the hottest days of the year last couple of weeks. I think your good Razz.
I usually ran cooler t-stats and had my fans turn on sooner in my Grand Prix so I don't know what's "Normal" when the weather gets hot with these cars. Hence why I get concerned when I hit over 225. Good to know that is still within operating temps for our cars.

21 - 40 of 85 Posts