Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local dealer has 4 people on the list, and I can be #5. They said they are 'supposed' to get 6 a month, since they are one of the top producing dealers (aren't they all...) So I'm tempted to put my deposit down, but i'm worried my turn will come too fast! I really want my Sky towards the mid to end of summer, since i'm starting a new job and I want to see how it goes for a while. So if i'm number 5, and a car comes in (they say nobody is ordering) and I don't want that particular one, is my name then off the list?

I know it's confusing. I'm just worried the car will come quicker than I'm ready to buy.

·
Registered
326 Posts
In my opinion this is a question you should be asking your dealer, not any of us. Everyones dealer is different, my deposit is fully refundable if I choose to back out for any reason. (seems to be the case with most). As far as wanting to wait till summer I dont think you have much to worry about as it will probablly take that long anyhow. And most importantly GET IT IN WRITING. :D

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
I was in a situation where I want the car. Although I can't believe I've put a thousand dollars down on a car I haven't test driven or even seen in person. I didn't give the dealer what he wanted for a deposit at first. He wanted $1000 and I gave him $500. When we moved to the next step he again asked for $1000 and I again gave him $500.

I'd see what he will accept in the way of a minimum deposit. It's not like he's going to have a hard time selling the car or anything like that. See if he'll take $100-$200.

Jobs come and go. If you have to walk away from a small deposit so be it.:cheers:

·
Registered
102 Posts
skyguy85 said:
I know it's confusing. I'm just worried the car will come quicker than I'm ready to buy.
Talk to your dealer about how they're going to approach ordering.
It could impact timing quite a bit and help you out.
Out here, haven't heard of a dealer who doesn't want you to test drive the car before anything goes any further.
If your dealer's the same way, or understands that you'd like to test drive before committing,
that can add a good chunk of time to the process.
Depending on where you are in the country, the time to ship the test drive
car to the showroom adds that much more time to the customer order timeline.

Just making up numbers here to map out a possible timeline.
Say the car enters actual production Mar 01.
Guess 2 months to deliver.
Dealer gets showroom and test drive cars early May.
At #5 with 6 a month, perhaps you come up late May to drive and order.
Car "could" show up with these made up numbers late July.
Any delays push all this out.
If your dealer is going to order straight off his images things accelerate,
as you loose the extra build step pipeline lag.

Mods here may point out that even these numbers are quite unrealistic, and may well be.
I really have no idea what dates or timeframes to attach, so folks
may be able to help me out with these variables.

One possible point to note is that you may be required to put down a substantial
deposit when you order to commit at that time.

Along another possible path, is whether your dealer will allow you to hold off if you're not ready.
Again, subject to how your own dealer's approach.

Personally, I'd put the deposit down, especially if it's refundable.
(Most are, but depends on your state and dealer.)
It's quite likely your timing will just work out, or at a minimum,
you'll have bought the option to see how this shakes out.

There's still quite a bit more time to go....
Hope this helps.
Folks, if I'm delusional here, please toss in your 2 cents.

·
Registered
474 Posts
twirp said:
In my opinion this is a question you should be asking your dealer, not any of us. Everyones dealer is different, my deposit is fully refundable if I choose to back out for any reason. (seems to be the case with most). As far as wanting to wait till summer I dont think you have much to worry about as it will probablly take that long anyhow. And most importantly GET IT IN WRITING. :D
:agree:

twirp - you speak the truth!!! Many Solstice owners found out the hard way that what they thought was a refundable deposits ended up being a "dealer up charge" when their car came in or when they tried to cancel were told to bad. Advice is TO GET IT IN WRITING that your check is to show your intent to purchase a new SKY, but if at any time you wish to cancel your order OR not take possesion of the order once it arrives, your deposit if FULLY REFUNDABLE!
$500 deposits are the norm, but $1,000 hasn't been uncommon for the Solstice.

The dealership that I bought through did not even cash my deposit (some do) - on the day I signed the papers they handed me back my deposit check - which I promptly tore to shreds.

Hope this helps everyone! Good Luck!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeh i wish

my supid dealer has no clue how it will work. Seems every dealer is making up their own facts, and I have no clue who to believe.

·
Registered
102 Posts
skyguy85 said:
my supid dealer has no clue how it will work. Seems every dealer is making up their own facts, and I have no clue who to believe.
Lotta new ground here, so it's easy to get frustrated with iffy info.
Earlier posters on this thread are correct.
Deposits and ordering policy are up to your dealer.
Find out if the deposit is refundable.
That's a good first step.
Try calling up and asking for a Sales Manager.
See if that gets you anywhere.
We have time, and some folks are still sorting it all out,
so if you can't get a firm answer right away, try back in a few weeks.
Hang in there.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I dont know if its just my dealer or there are others, but I tried to give them a deposit and they said they are not taking them. They will call you when its time to order. If who ever's turn it is does not want to order, then its on to the next. So question, is it up to the individual dealer's descrection to take a deposit :confused: I have been reading other peoples postings, and some say there dealers wanted one and some, like mine, said no. Help help, Im soooo confused :crazy:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I don't want to throw water on enthusiasm but..... You (and others) have mentioned 6 - 5 -10 a month.. A Month?? I would check and double check with my dealer on that one. According to my dealer (and as Twirp has rightly pointed out -- everyone of them is different) the number they have is IT for the year. Some southern and west coast dealers have gotten 40 - even 50 but most everyplace else has 10 or less - FOR THE YEAR.
Do the math 500 dealers 20 SKYs per = 10,000. . ..
So I would not believe 6 -- per month -- Again Don't know where you are, Skyguy 85 -- but 6 sounds like a total allotment...

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
I don't want to throw water on enthusiasm but..... You (and others) have mentioned 6 - 5 -10 a month.. A Month?? I would check and double check with my dealer on that one. According to my dealer (and as Twirp has rightly pointed out -- everyone of them is different) the number they have is IT for the year. Some southern and west coast dealers have gotten 40 - even 50 but most everyplace else has 10 or less - FOR THE YEAR.
Do the math 500 dealers 20 SKYs per = 10,000. . ..
So I would not believe 6 -- per month -- Again Don't know where you are, Skyguy 85 -- but 6 sounds like a total allotment...
Im sorry if I confused you, but my dealer told me they were only getting 20 FOR THE YEAR. I hope I cleared this up. Sorry :D

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Ernest said:
Clear as a bell!

ERNEST
Thank u sweetie :cheers: and I hope you have a wonderful day

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Ah! Very good....
:thumbs: :thumbs:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,569 Posts
agirltrucker said:
I dont know if its just my dealer or there are others, but I tried to give them a deposit and they said they are not taking them. They will call you when its time to order. If who ever's turn it is does not want to order, then its on to the next. So question, is it up to the individual dealer's descrection to take a deposit :confused: I have been reading other peoples postings, and some say there dealers wanted one and some, like mine, said no. Help help, Im soooo confused :crazy:
Yes... anything having to do with selling a car is up to the retailer/dealer... including honoring incentives, accepting deposits, adding extras and so on.

It is not like the department store... A lot of them sell Levi's and Jockey. Both Levi's & Jockey set an MSRP... Levi's used to not require any minimum price. Well, Kohl's would always sell at a low, low price... the other stores like Sears and JC Penney didn't like it because they couldn't go as low. So Levi's made it so stores could not sell below a certain price.

Jockey goes one step further... they tell stores when they can put their underwear on sale and for how much... that is why you see Kohls, Beall's, Belk, Bloomingdale's, Bon-Ton, Boscov's, Burdines, Carson Pirie Scott, Filene's, Fred Meyer, Gottschalks, JC Penney, Mervyn's, etc all have their Jockey underwear on sale at the same time for the same price.

While that would be nice in the car industry... you know, set a price and this is how much all will pay... if it is put it on sale... everyone get's the sale price...

So while some dealer's accept deposits and some will sell at MSRP... not all will. There is no rule book from the car company saying this is how to sell our cars... well, there was with Saturn... but not to the extreme of saying this is when you can accept deposits and how much they should be, etc...

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
todaresqSL2 said:
Yes... anything having to do with selling a car is up to the retailer/dealer... including honoring incentives, accepting deposits, adding extras and so on.

It is not like the department store... A lot of them sell Levi's and Jockey. Both Levi's & Jockey set an MSRP... Levi's used to not require any minimum price. Well, Kohl's would always sell at a low, low price... the other stores like Sears and JC Penney didn't like it because they couldn't go as low. So Levi's made it so stores could not sell below a certain price.

Jockey goes one step further... they tell stores when they can put their underwear on sale and for how much... that is why you see Kohls, Beall's, Belk, Bloomingdale's, Bon-Ton, Boscov's, Burdines, Carson Pirie Scott, Filene's, Fred Meyer, Gottschalks, JC Penney, Mervyn's, etc all have their Jockey underwear on sale at the same time for the same price.

While that would be nice in the car industry... you know, set a price and this is how much all will pay... if it is put it on sale... everyone get's the sale price...

So while some dealer's accept deposits and some will sell at MSRP... not all will. There is no rule book from the car company saying this is how to sell our cars... well, there was with Saturn... but not to the extreme of saying this is when you can accept deposits and how much they should be, etc...
Ty Ty to all who have responded.. :D

·
Registered
357 Posts
agirltrucker, my dealer is very similar to yours. I have offered twice, once in August and the other time in November, to leave a deposit to garauntee me a SKY. The G.M. said NO both times, as he couldn't garauntee if people who leave a deposit will get a SKY. Fast forward to January... he now states that when he places your order (on an actual image) is when you give a deposit to secure your SKY. Now also in January the G.M. told me his allotment for the year is 10. So I'm assuming that means up until July/August, becuase even though these are 2007 model-year cars, the actual 2007 calendar year doesn't start until October 1st. Back in November the state of NJ holds a two-day teacher's convention. Saturn & Staples partner up to give out freebies (school supplies, not cars!) and Saturn displays current cars & trucks and supplements Staple's cost. This past November a green SKY was on display. The guy/presenter worked directly for Saturn and told me that if you're #10 or less on your dealer's list, you'll get a SKY before summer (he also said that all dealers would get a demo model not for sale). As time has proven, I found his info to be true. Take everything with a grain of salt... until your car is parked in front of you with the keys in your hand, everything and anything can change.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
GMguy74 said:
agirltrucker, my dealer is very similar to yours. I have offered twice, once in August and the other time in November, to leave a deposit to garauntee me a SKY. The G.M. said NO both times, as he couldn't garauntee if people who leave a deposit will get a SKY. Fast forward to January... he now states that when he places your order (on an actual image) is when you give a deposit to secure your SKY. Now also in January the G.M. told me his allotment for the year is 10. So I'm assuming that means up until July/August, becuase even though these are 2007 model-year cars, the actual 2007 calendar year doesn't start until October 1st. Back in November the state of NJ holds a two-day teacher's convention. Saturn & Staples partner up to give out freebies (school supplies, not cars!) and Saturn displays current cars & trucks and supplements Staple's cost. This past November a green SKY was on display. The guy/presenter worked directly for Saturn and told me that if you're #10 or less on your dealer's list, you'll get a SKY before summer (he also said that all dealers would get a demo model not for sale). As time has proven, I found his info to be true. Take everything with a grain of salt... until your car is parked in front of you with the keys in your hand, everything and anything can change.
Thank you Roger, your a sweetheart for taking the time to explain. And by the way, I very much agree with you. When I have the keys, Ill believe it... :thumbs:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm in LA county (Palmdale) and several salesman AND the manager have told me and my father who manages the dealership across the street that it will be 6 per month. They also said the set amount (5,000 or 10,000 whatever it is) is not true... They said "whoever wants one will be able to get one". Seems a little fishy to me. Then again, if there were already hundreds of thousands of orders, why are they still promoting the damn car at the car shows.

·
Registered
102 Posts
skyguy85 said:
I'm in LA county..
Possible, perhaps. Might be a bit high, but maybe only a bit. Still possible as it's a large SoCal dealer.
I see what you mean about possibly coming in too fast.
I think they're taking initial 500 deposits to get on the list.
Confirm with your father, but the initial deposit by CA law is refundable.
The larger deposit on order is a tossup dealer to dealer.
Not sure how that one works as it's tied to an open order.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Simple, Profit, profit, profit & a little greed thrown in for good measure. It is just business, and you have to make a profit, to keep everyone happy in corporate or you don't get the big bucks, profit sharing etc.:lol: :lol: They are going on the assumption that for every 1 or so disgruntled or impatient, there will be 10 or more willing to take their place./ As I continue to state it is a sellers market at this time. Time will tell when the AURA and later the RL SKY get close to being delivered, if they continue this practice, those will be an indication of the direction Saturn is heading. I would imagine this is happening in other divisions of GM, i.e. Camaro, Sting Ray, GTO etc. or will happen when the results are in on this marketing ploy. I guess the best way to follow the whole mess is to monitor other web sites of this nature on other GM products if they are available. Not to mention that MOPAR & FORD could very well be into this up to there ears. Any ideas on this?:cheers:

ERNEST:thumbs: :lol:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts