Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys --

I'm 17 years old and this would be my first car, of course me and my friends would like me to buy this car (yes I have the money, and with a little help from my parents I could get the Red Line too...) but is this a good car for a teenager? How old are most of you guys anyway? The fact that it is only 2 seats might be a problem... same with minimal storage... but should I get such a nice, sporty car as my first?

Thanks for your suggestions,
Mike

P.S. - I don't want to hear any comments about money. Thanks. :thumbs:

·
Registered
105 Posts
very nice car for a first car, maybe too nice. You will scratch the nose - even experienced drivers do that - parking it. It also has lots of blind spots when the top is up. Not unmanageable, but difficut for your first car. It is not practical for that reason in poor weather, or if you need to carry much of anything, or more than 1 other passenger.

I wont say dont do it.... just be sure you know what you are getting into before you jump. Also, are you willing to wait for it, especially the RL? I was not, when I was your age.

Boy, I feel old now. I never thought I would say, "when I was your age." :willy:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
My first couple of years of driving I had an Opel GT. A very low and small car on the roads of the day, much as the SKY is now. I was a good driver, but I did not know how to be hyper-paranoid about all the idiots on the road around me. I had geezers backing into me without seeing me in their rear-view mirrors. I had people assume that I was going to blow a stop sign and rearend me. I had people change lanes into the side of me because I was too low for them to see me to their right.

In short, the car that I loved - my Opel GT - was bashed beyond any hope of survival, and I had to move on to other things with much remorse.

Today, many years later, I know not only how to drive my car, but experience has taught me how other people drive their cars. I never position myself alongside another car. I always assume that the idiot in the driveway is going to back out without looking and hit me. I never believe that a car with a blinker on is actually going to turn until I see the wheels go around the corner and the car follows.

These are lessons that can only come with time, and experience. It's not about how good a driver you are, it's about how bad all the other drivers are. And you cannot learn that until you see a lot of them; more, in fact, that your few years behind the wheel make possible.

Until you learn to assess other drivers, a different car would probably be better. Get a very nice sedan, used, that you don't particularly care about. Let the other idiots bang that around like a pinball until you can learn how to avoid their stupidity. Then, after you learn to get hyper-defensive, then you can get a SKY.

As for me, I was almost killed in my Opel GT when a drunk driver in a 1969 Cadillac did something incredibly stupid. Little car versus big car, little car loses. And the SKY is a very little car.

Just my friendly advice. Good luck to you on whatever you decide.

·
Registered
421 Posts
My first car was a '67 Vette when I was a Jr in HS. So as far as extra space and such, it's a matter of lifestyle. Plenty of room for a workout bag and books (yah, like I did ton's of homework - right).

Mostly everyone drives together so carrying passengers was not a big deal. Someone always has room in their car.

The part about the watching out for the other driver is huge. I've never experienced anything like the way a new car attracts other sheet metal!

Worse is the door dings. As the years go by, I have the time and patience to park away from other cars. As a new driver you may always be running late and need to (or just want to for the attention) park up close at the movies and the mall and when that Expedition or Escalade pulls up next to you with five 8 years olds in the back seat...Wham! Better call Dent Busters.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I would recommend a beater with a heater until you are 18. I wouldn't recommend any new car to a first time driver. I also wouldn't recommend a new boat to a first time boat owner. Things just happen!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Don't forget that the insurance for a new sports car at your age could be very high and almost too high even to add to your parents policy. Good luck in your choice.

R

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
It would be great, but -- as a guy who gone through it all, perhaps not so practical. I agree that for the first few years, maybe a heated beater IS the way to go. It is great that you have the $$ but do you have the $$ for the insurance etc? It is great if mom & dad are willing to help - but that does not teach the responsibility of OWNING a car as it should. My kids all had used cars which I helped buy, as their first vehicle, but, absolutely no help in paying the bills for upkeep. All of them thank me for that today as it helped them learn how to manage the responsibility of owning a car with the ability to buy one.
Driving irresponsibly can be easily done in a new car as well as old, but with this one the temptation to "show off" may be impossible to ignore, and for a 17 year old very, very dangerous (more so that for us old guys).
Also - the room. Yeah I remember traveling in packs and everyone sharing rides etc, but starting out with only room for 2 is a big hole. Somewhere I see "Bet I can get 4 people into this car," bets happening etc. Going out with "the guys" becomes a choice too - as you will have only one other with you and no chance to pile everyone in to go somewhere with 3-4 of your friends.
In the end, though, it is your choice. It would be very hard for me to pass by at any age, and I wish you the best in whatever decision you make. With whatever you get -- have fun - but please be safe!
:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
i just picked mine up and im 23 . i would advise no on it as well its alot more responsabilty driven this then other i think. i went from a lifted truck and i think its alot differnt due to the feild of vision and everything. get a miata and beat it up first :)

·
Registered
692 Posts
Graet Car,
No room for all the friends though so is that good or bad? I am only a dad that raised two boy's, now 28 and 25. My gut says to tell you a 3 year old nice low mileage Toyota Corrola or a Honda is the best bet. Save your money, build your credit and get that education:thumbs:
You'll know what's right, trust your instincts.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
I guess it depends on weather you want to be the Kool guy with his girl. Or the guy that packs all his buddies in the car. I would take it insurance will be high with a Sky as noted above. Have fun and be careful what ever way you decide to go.

·
Registered
358 Posts
:agree:
jdigiant said:
My first couple of years of driving I had an Opel GT. A very low and small car on the roads of the day, much as the SKY is now. I was a good driver, but I did not know how to be hyper-paranoid about all the idiots on the road around me. I had geezers backing into me without seeing me in their rear-view mirrors. I had people assume that I was going to blow a stop sign and rearend me. I had people change lanes into the side of me because I was too low for them to see me to their right.

In short, the car that I loved - my Opel GT - was bashed beyond any hope of survival, and I had to move on to other things with much remorse.

Today, many years later, I know not only how to drive my car, but experience has taught me how other people drive their cars. I never position myself alongside another car. I always assume that the idiot in the driveway is going to back out without looking and hit me. I never believe that a car with a blinker on is actually going to turn until I see the wheels go around the corner and the car follows.

These are lessons that can only come with time, and experience. It's not about how good a driver you are, it's about how bad all the other drivers are. And you cannot learn that until you see a lot of them; more, in fact, that your few years behind the wheel make possible.

Until you learn to assess other drivers, a different car would probably be better. Get a very nice sedan, used, that you don't particularly care about. Let the other idiots bang that around like a pinball until you can learn how to avoid their stupidity. Then, after you learn to get hyper-defensive, then you can get a SKY.

As for me, I was almost killed in my Opel GT when a drunk driver in a 1969 Cadillac did something incredibly stupid. Little car versus big car, little car loses. And the SKY is a very little car.

:agree: The most important thing to remember is that you are not only driving your car but everyone elses as well.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I would have to say no. I had a Triumph roadster as my first car that I owned, but I brought a little experince from driving my Dad's old VW bug. The main thing is that there is a much greater volume of drivers, and bad ones at that, which requires a greater amount of skill in the day to day traffic of today. The traffic was much less in '60, and drivers seemed to be better. I would recommend a less expensive ride to begin on and then work towards a SKY. Go out and get some experience first and then graduate to a SKY. You will thank yourself for it.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
It would be great, but -- as a guy who gone through it all, perhaps not so practical. I agree that for the first few years, maybe a heated beater IS the way to go. It is great that you have the $$ but do you have the $$ for the insurance etc? It is great if mom & dad are willing to help - but that does not teach the responsibility of OWNING a car as it should. My kids all had used cars which I helped buy, as their first vehicle, but, absolutely no help in paying the bills for upkeep. All of them thank me for that today as it helped them learn how to manage the responsibility of owning a car with the ability to buy one.
Driving irresponsibly can be easily done in a new car as well as old, but with this one the temptation to "show off" may be impossible to ignore, and for a 17 year old very, very dangerous (more so that for us old guys).
Also - the room. Yeah I remember traveling in packs and everyone sharing rides etc, but starting out with only room for 2 is a big hole. Somewhere I see "Bet I can get 4 people into this car," bets happening etc. Going out with "the guys" becomes a choice too - as you will have only one other with you and no chance to pile everyone in to go somewhere with 3-4 of your friends.
In the end, though, it is your choice. It would be very hard for me to pass by at any age, and I wish you the best in whatever decision you make. With whatever you get -- have fun - but please be safe!
:thumbs:
:agree: HAVE FUN..... but.... REMEMBER..... there is a LIMIT to the number of FEMALES you can have in her at one time....... enjoy... but... BE SAFE...... SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm personally only 25 (still young for most peoples expectations of this car). I've always thought I was a very good driver and more mature than most my age. I can honestly say I've only made one major mistake in my previous cars due to lack of experience that caused a crash (and it was weather related). I also, own a high end sport bike. It's my first motorcycle.

People love to use this "your to young for this" excuse. Thing is we don't have to tell you that. If your mature enough to turn the radio down, check your blind spots, and pay attention when you drive (always) then you know it. It's not something we can judge. I do believe it's possible for a young driver to drive safely and responsibly if you are honestly above the "average" level of maturity for your age. Most of the time weather you admit it or not you know deep down if you are ready for a small (death trap) of a sports car.

My warnings come from a slightly different stand point. At your age no matter how mature YOU are you hang out with a crowd that tends to see more than their fair share of accidents. I'm talking on the road and off the road. You car will be parked in a STUDENT parking lot often, you will have at least a few friends that just wanna take it around the block. No matter what car you drive it's going to get dings, dents, a fender bender, a spilled coke, etc. You're gonna need to squeeze 7 people in it once night :cheers: . Do you really want this in a NEW car? I would suggest you buy something even a year or two old to start with. Take that cash you have now and put it into something to make a return. If you consider all of this and sure you want a new car... the sky is as good as any :thumbs:

I guess I'm saying even if you can afford it the question comes up do you really want to be driving a shinny new car in that environment? Will it be garage kept? Do you trust the people that park around you? Sometimes it's not about what you can 'afford' to drive but what fits your situation.

Now if I've made all the wrong assumptions (you do have a garage to keep it in, private parking at school, older more mature friends, etc) then just move along and forget this post.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
SkyBaby said:
:agree: HAVE FUN..... but.... REMEMBER..... there is a LIMIT to the number of FEMALES you can have in her at one time....... enjoy... but... BE SAFE...... SkyBaby-07
I can get two females in the passenger seat. How many more can a man of my age want. Agreed,,,, 17 Year old,, might be able to handle a few more, and a SKY might be what is needed!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Bravo

jdigiant said:

Bravo, very well put. Couldn't have said it any better. I hope you will listen to this advise because all of it was right on the mark. Get some thing a little bigger, and safer for your first car. Then later as John said, with experience, you'll be glad you waited. Trust us we know from experience. Good luck and safe driving!!
Terry

·
Registered
574 Posts
Definately a multiseater!!

You will want to haul friends....thats what I did! And two seats are just not enough.....A sporty 4 seater will be a better 1st car! :cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would say as a first car, go with one that has a few years on it. One that you wont really care too much if it gets dented or scratched a bit, after all it is a first car. Generally speaking theres a chance that the first car you buy could get wrecked just out of inexperience, or in my case an idiot, it was a sad time, now im not saying it will happen to you, but just take that into consideration. And im 22

·
Registered
304 Posts
At that age, you may want one that will give you more privacy. :D But other than that, I say go for it. You only live once and I would have killed to have a car like this in High School

·
Registered
637 Posts
get it.:cheers:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts