Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own an AC Cobra, and have been waiting for anyone to design a new vehicle that looks like a modern version of my car. Finally the "Sky"! Since at this time, I can't drive one, I took a Solstice for a test drive today. I first drove a new Honda S 2000, and then went next door to the Pontiac dealer and drove the Soltice. During the drive I found it to be a good driver,but it couldn't keep up with the Honda Civics, Jeeps, or any other car on the road!
My mom, if she was still alive, would love this car....slow and smooth!!!!!!!! All show....NO GO! A ladies car. The reason the car was free to drive was because the guy who ordered it, couldn't fit in it. Most of the salesmen over six feet tall don't want to be in it. They gave me a saleslady for the drive. I'm a photographer, and found my camera bag wouldn't fit in the trunk with the top down. GM could have made a great sports car, but ended up with a pretty commuter with little leg room and no trunk............what a shame.

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
Oh! Oh!

alan haynes said:
My mom, if she was still alive, would love this car....slow and smooth!!!!!!!! All show....NO GO! A ladies car. The reason the car was free to drive was because the guy who ordered it, couldn't fit in it. Most of the salesmen over six feet tall don't want to be in it. They gave me a saleslady for the drive. I'm a photographer, and found my camera bag wouldn't fit in the trunk with the top down. GM could have made a great sports car, but ended up with a pretty commuter with little leg room and no trunk............what a shame.
First, welcome to the forum. Second, you make this car out to be a "pinto". I saw the car yesterday, Saturn Dealer (on here) is about 6'4" and it will fit him just fine. The car will come in a redline later in 2006-2007 that will give you even more HP. This is not a slow putt putt car but rather a classy sexy car that is wonderful to drive. It is not meant to be a daily driver, like going to Home Dept and Lowes, nor is it meant for hauling bags of groceries. This car is meant for those of us who have OTHER cars and trucks and just want a fun toy to enjoy life in. YES it is fun to "let her rip" but this car is not much off HP of a vet (see other threads from yesterday and today). I like a fast car myself, have raced a few as well but when it comes right down to the bottome line, we cant just get out on the road and drive 100miles a hour or who wants to spend the money replacing tires after you sit and do burnouts with it. Just be prepared for the fallout cause "THIS AINT NO LADIES CAR" or I would never have put my name on the list. AND you will be able to get after market products to boost your horsepower. Oh I feel the rath of the Solstice owners coming your way!!!!!!!!! :brentil:

Have a great day and welcome
K :cheers:

·
Registered
242 Posts
not to mention the many contributions you will be making to the policeman's ball........I hear that they are very expensive........just ask actor chris tucker!:lol:

·
Registered
554 Posts
To be honest, the more and more I drive a Solstice the lack of a sporting Engine Management System (EMS) is making it less exciting to drive. It really doesn't rev like an Honda Si or Acura RS-X. Power is flat and straight forward with a very dominant EMS that removes part of the drivers input while shifting.

My experience with drive by wire throttle is limited, but even my new Honda Ridgeline (drive by wire) feels like other EMS's that I have driven in the pass. This has been a complaint of mine since my first drive in a Solstice back in early August.

The handling is great and kudos to the GM engineers responsible for it. They need to wake up the guys working on the EMS though, -- deleted due to lack of actual photos --.

I love the new Sky for it's style and overall design. An engine transplant with a better tuned computer will make it the best roadster under $50k. If feeling sporting performance is more important to you than style, get an MX-5. If you want a head turner with great feel of the road than the Sky is for you. Oh, the tight fit for people of larger size is true. One of the reasons I'm working to get my weight down. :)

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
sky_line said:
not to mention the many contributions you will be making to the policeman's ball........I hear that they are very expensive........just ask actor chris tucker!:lol:
YOU KILL ME :lol: lol lol lol

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
If you can't keep up with a Civic in the Solstice then I'm sorry, apparently you don't know how to drive an i4 engine car then. This isn't a v8 car, you have to drive it differently.

At the Solstice forum we'd clasify this type of post as trolling.

·
Registered
328 Posts
My buddy owns a replica Cobra and he told me he wants to drive my Sky ... whenever I get it. :cheers: I think most understand that at around 25K you are not going to get a beautiful car and a huge engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Delnari said:
To be honest, the more and more I drive a Solstice the lack of a sporting Engine Management System (EMS) is making it less exciting to drive. It really doesn't rev like an Honda Si or Acura RS-X. Power is flat and straight forward with a very dominant EMS that removes part of the drivers input while shifting.

My experience with drive by wire throttle is limited, but even my new Honda Ridgeline (drive by wire) feels like other EMS's that I have driven in the pass. This has been a complaint of mine since my first drive in a Solstice back in early August.

The handling is great and kudos to the GM engineers responsible for it. They need to wake up the guys working on the EMS though, -- deleted due to lack of actual photos --.

I love the new Sky for it's style and overall design. An engine transplant with a better tuned computer will make it the best roadster under $50k. If feeling sporting performance is more important to you than style, get an MX-5. If you want a head turner with great feel of the road than the Sky is for you. Oh, the tight fit for people of larger size is true. One of the reasons I'm working to get my weight down. :)
Thanks for being so honest! Even though I had negative things to say about the Pontiac, I have a Sky on order, and looking forward to owning one. As far as style, I've never been so excited about any car ever. If GM can't make the Sky fun to drive, I will! The stock power plant will be transformed into a true really fun DRIVE. I will live with the lack of leg room, like I do in my Jeep and Cobra. Some times, you do, what you need to do................. Alan

For one of the other members....I DO know how to drive a car. I'm a former race car driver.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts