Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the Sky out today for it's maiden voyage. Unfortunately a bit cold for top down but still fun.
Stop at a McDonalds so the wife can pee. As I am sitting in the parking lot waiting, a Honda goes by, guy driving is staring, has his mouth open and neck on a swivel. A look we are all familiar with. He parks his car, jumps out and runs up to me all excited and way to close in these days of Covid and says: I had this exact car until two years ago when I had to sell. He goes on for a few minutes about how great it was, how much he misses it, describes the differences between his and mine, etc ... Then he says, wait right here, I have something for you. He runs back to his car rummages through the trunk for a minute and comes back with this ...

Here he says: "It's brand new, never installed, you can have it. It will be nice to get it out of my trunk, take care of that car, see ya"
My turn to stand staring with my mouth open. "Thank you!"

·
Registered
2008 Sky Red Line
435 Posts
Took the Sky out today for it's maiden voyage. Unfortunately a bit cold for top down but still fun.
Stop at a McDonalds so the wife can pee. As I am sitting in the parking lot waiting, a Honda goes by, guy driving is staring, has his mouth open and neck on a swivel. A look we are all familiar with. He parks his car, jumps out and runs up to me all excited and way to close in these days of Covid and says: I had this exact car until two years ago when I had to sell. He goes on for a few minutes about how great it was, how much he misses it, describes the differences between his and mine, etc ... Then he says, wait right here, I have something for you. He runs back to his car rummages through the trunk for a minute and comes back with this ...

View attachment 115084

Here he says: "It's brand new, never installed, you can have it. It will be nice to get it out of my trunk, take care of that car, see ya"
Kudos to that guy for paying it forward, but let me get this straight. This guy drove around with an extra part for a car he hasn’t owned for a couple of years in his trunk? I can’t imagine what else he has in there.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Cool story. Just goes to show you how much love we owners
have for our gem. Here we have the random person who just
happens to be driving by and.. bingo the adventure continues.
Here buddy need a spare part for your car I just happened to have one- it's yours.
Somedays... it's just like that- u never ever know when it will
happen to you in your daily travels.

Who knew that you could get a free part for your car while
parked in a McDonald's lot waiting on the wife to finish her pee.
Makes me wanna go park in McD's lot now... just say'n.

LAC

·
Registered
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And I installed a brand new chrome trim piece exactly like that one, just a couple weeks ago.
I have your post book marked and thank you for your installation notes. It will be helpful when it comes time to put this one on the car. Until then it will be garage wall art.

Kudos to that guy for paying it forward, but let me get this straight. This guy drove around with an extra part for a car he hasn’t owned for a couple of years in his trunk? I can’t imagine what else he has in there.
He also had a GM wind screen in there he tried to give me. I know they require drilling, not sure if there are needed mounting pieces and bottom line ... I think they are God awful ugly and would not install one even if given to me.
So the Fly Swatter is still in his trunk.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I have your post book marked and thank you for your installation notes. It will be helpful when it comes time to put this one on the car. Until then it will be garage wall art.
You are very welcome!

It is also an opportunity to clean up the black fake grille work around it. Once the chrome piece is removed, it unsnaps off very easily. I washed mine with a brush and soap in my slop sink. I got it looking quite nice.

When removing the nuts to the chrome, I was careful not to drop one but it happened anyway. The only solution was a gooseneck magnet to recover it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Stop at a McDonalds so the wife can pee. As I am sitting in the parking lot waiting, a Honda goes by, guy driving is staring, has his mouth open and neck on a swivel. A look we are all familiar with. He parks his car, jumps out and runs up to me all excited and way to close in these days of Covid and says: I had this exact car until two years ago when I had to sell. He goes on for a few minutes about how great it was, how much he misses it, describes the differences between his and mine, etc ... Then he says, wait right here, I have something for you. He runs back to his
That's how I'm feeling about any parts I come across, especially body parts.
Don't tell people you feel that way about body parts. Could cause you some trouble. LOL

Great story!

·
Registered
8 Posts

View attachment 115084

Great story, good things do happen!

·
Registered
11 Posts

View attachment 115084

Really cool story. My Wife told me she would pee at our local McDonalds as well to see if this string of good will can be extended. This would be a major sacrifice since my Wife prefers to only pee at home. She despises public restrooms.

·
Registered
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Really cool story. My Wife told me she would pee at our local McDonalds as well to see if this string of good will can be extended. This would be a major sacrifice since my Wife prefers to only pee at home. She despises public restrooms.
My wife does also but unless I can install one of these in the passenger side it's Macdonalds or never drive more than an hour from home ...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts