Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have 31 nation-wide Redline images that have been picked up, of those 31 two are forum members. These cars are to be delivered by mid August?

So when do the next images get picked up and how often? We have approximately how many total Redline deposits that have been placed, 2,000?

Is this going to be once every week, once a month, once a quarter, etc?? Should the dealer know by now how many Redlines they will be allocated? I'm number 3-5 for a RedLine at the NM delearships depending on who I talk to, getting the car's image picked up by my Birthday 9/5 would be great. If I could have my Sky just before the snow falls (late Oct), I'll be good.

I'm driving a '70 Beetle to work every day, I need my Redline dam it!:mad: It's been 100 degrees lately, it's like driving home in a blow dryer.

Who knows whats going on and who is my same situation?

Mucho Thanks.
Brady

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
The 31 are TPP 14 - 20 Aug. Delivery probably Sept. Production for R/L is supposed to start in full end of August. Late Sept early Oct delivery, this isn't fact, but a general idea, we will have to just wait and see, I reckon!!

·
1st Known SKY RedLine Owner!
1,012 Posts
Well if they start producing about 55 a week after the intial week launch it may take a while even for us who are first at our dealers. Time will tell how many rl's get built a week but just say your dealer is the last to get a rl it might be lengthy wait. Let's hope for the best tho! BTW the 55 figure is just a guestamate.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pitcom said:
Well if they start producing about 55 a week after the intial week launch it may take a while even for us who are first at our dealers. Time will tell how many rl's get built a week but just say your dealer is the last to get a rl it might be lengthy wait. Let's hope for the best tho! BTW the 55 figure is just a guestamate.
Anybody, have any idea how many will be built each week? Ernest, what's full production?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bump,

Anyone know how many Redlines are to be produced and how that number would translate to each month or week?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Constraint reports come out every Thursday.

From this forum, we have learned that full RL production will be 40% of total Sky production.

RL shoud be coming out around 120 a week once they get ramped up. No telling how long that will take.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Ernest said:
The 31 are TPP 14 - 20 Aug. Delivery probably Sept. Production for R/L is supposed to start in full end of August. Late Sept early Oct delivery, this isn't fact, but a general idea, we will have to just wait and see, I reckon!!

:agree: :agree:

Probably a few will be out the end of September. But it also depends on how intense of an inspection they do.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Parthanon said:
Constraint reports come out every Thursday.

From this forum, we have learned that full RL production will be 40% of total Sky production.

RL shoud be coming out around 120 a week once they get ramped up. No telling how long that will take.
The only thing is that the first year because of the late start you will probably only see between 3000/3500 being produced. I don't know where your coming up with the 120 because the total year is around 10,000 but with the late start you will probably only see around 3000/35000 the first year which runs from 6/26/06 to around 6/26/07. But lets say it's going from june to june and around 40% would be the 4,000 like you said. Divide that by the 52 weeks it would be 76 a week , this is only an average but should be a ruff figure. Now you have shut down, holidays and there will be a time when the opel starts production and both the Solstice and the Sky's production might drop a little. I guess we will have to wait and see.

The Rl allocation is for what ever GM say's it's for. It can be 1 week, 1 month, 3 months.It can change when ever they want to.change it. So it's really hard to figure out. the Solstice had orders picked up for 1 week, then nothing for 2 weeks ( Shut down) the 1 more week of picked up then back to nothing. ( might not be exact using as example)

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Your figures seem pretty realistic, seeing as how we already have VIN's on the base Sky over 6K. That kinda shoots the 4K R/L production in the foot, if they stick to the 10K build. Do you think they have already to cut back R/L's build for this year? Deluke? Anybody?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Not sure where the 10,000 annual number comes from. Excerpt from several articles I have read:

GM has no plans to increase Solstice production above the projected 20,000 units annually, and the same policy is in effect for the Sky. GM wants to sustain profitable sales of these two convertibles for many years to come, and will not flood the market with them now.

My understanding is GM will produce 20k each of Solstice and Sky, and are looking at possibility of opening another line somewhere for an additional 10k combined cars.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The Saturn midwest rep said a total of 10,000 Skys will be built each year. About 60/40 regular Sky versus Redline. They want to keep the totals low and right now have no intentions of raising production amounts.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Parthanon said:
Not sure where the 10,000 annual number comes from. Excerpt from several articles I have read:

GM has no plans to increase Solstice production above the projected 20,000 units annually, and the same policy is in effect for the Sky. GM wants to sustain profitable sales of these two convertibles for many years to come, and will not flood the market with them now.

My understanding is GM will produce 20k each of Solstice and Sky, and are looking at possibility of opening another line somewhere for an additional 10k combined cars.
The ones built before 6/24/06 are 2007 Skys in the build year of 2006. The 2007 build year starts with 6/26/06 and runs untill around 6/24/07. So when they say 10,000 thats the 2007 build year which started 6/26/06 untill 6/26/07. Hope you can understand how I explained it.

I'm pretty sure you won't have more then 3000/3500 RL in the 2007 build year.

Ernest your at code 3000 as of 7/25/2006. I'll PM you when I get home have to go out for a few hours.

·
Registered
233 Posts
triple black said:
The Saturn midwest rep said a total of 10,000 Skys will be built each year. About 60/40 regular Sky versus Redline. They want to keep the totals low and right now have no intentions of raising production amounts.
I think there's some miscommunication around the 60/40 term as well. Talking to some people around here, they explained it more like this.

Once they begin production of the redline, it'll be built in the ratio of 40/60 of base.

Meaning, the first 6000? base SKY's are already done... /IF/ they are only making 10,000 cars... that's ~4000 left to make with 40% of those being RedLines. Not 40% of the TOTAL production.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Has anyone seen the "Automobile" magazine this month? There is a picture/poster of the Sky Redline in it. On the back/side of the poster it says "available summer of 2006". This would throw off the whole fall build would it not?:confused:

·
Registered
637 Posts
bradyb said:
We have 31 nation-wide Redline images that have been picked up, of those 31 two are forum members. These cars are to be delivered by mid August?

So when do the next images get picked up and how often? We have approximately how many total Redline deposits that have been placed, 2,000?

Is this going to be once every week, once a month, once a quarter, etc?? Should the dealer know by now how many Redlines they will be allocated? I'm number 3-5 for a RedLine at the NM delearships depending on who I talk to, getting the car's image picked up by my Birthday 9/5 would be great. If I could have my Sky just before the snow falls (late Oct), I'll be good.

I'm driving a '70 Beetle to work every day, I need my Redline dam it!:mad: It's been 100 degrees lately, it's like driving home in a blow dryer.

Who knows whats going on and who is my same situation?

Mucho Thanks.
Brady
I know your pain... I put down my $1000 deposit late in June for a Redline. 2 weeks ago I was in an accident (I'm okay except for a couple aches and pains in the neck/back). My car (2004 Honda Civic EX) was totalled. When I get a check for the value of the car I won't be upside down on it. Insurance covers rental for 1 month. So, when September hits I'll be without a car. I'm number 5 on the list at my dealership. My salesrep makes it sound like I should have my car sometime in October....awesome (sarcasm). I really wish I could get a more concrete idea of when my Redline will be available.:confused:

·
Registered
233 Posts
triple black said:
The rep was stating a total. Once production is started on the RL, then the percentage will be 60% base, 40% RL.
Look what you just typed and see how it can be taken both ways.
You said about the same thing as I did, just interpreting it differently.

Paraphrasing you...

Once they start production, then they'll produce them at 60% base, 40% redline.

Not that it matters to me atm, but it's a concern at our dealership atm. Since if that's the case, that would mean about 1600 redlines or so... with 550? dealers is the standard number used around here...would give ~3 redlines per dealer for this year and I know ours for example has 7 deposits on their Redline List.

If you look at it the other way. Going from those numbers of 10,000 cars this year. and if 40% of the total would be redlines, and since we're up to about 6000 base skys made already, then that means every car from here on out will be a redline and we all know that's just not gonna happen.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So if we're looking at 3,000-3,500 Redlines untill June 2007. With 450 dealers, and therotically if each dealer gets one Sky at a time, if full production starts in October then that's nine months or 333-389 Redlines each month. So if your #1 at your dealer it could be as late as the middle of Nov, if your #2 it could be as late as the first of Jan, or if you're #3 it could be as late as the middle of Feb.

I guess there's no way to figure out how many Skys your dealer is/will be getting other then to just ask them how many they are receiving. For example my dealer group has been allocated 40 Skys this year, so double what my sales guy told me and I'm number 4 on the list(instead of 2), I'm guessing I'm looking at December for my Sky? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
By the way the sales manager just told me 12,500 Skys for the year with 20% as redlines or 2,500. So with those numbers thats only 277 Sky R/Ls each month or a little over two months to build each dealer a car.

If I take their 40 car dealer group allocation and divide it by 12,500 thats .32%, .32% of 2500 RedLines is 8 cars! So if I'm #2 I get my car in Nov, if I'm #4 I get it January.

Compare that to the Northern Utah dealer, a 60 car allocation and there's upwards of 35 people with deposits waiting for the Redline now. That 35th person is about two years and two months away from getting their Redline!

Do those numbers make sense?

That means to figure out when you will get your car:

Take the amount of allocations your dealer is getting for the year, divide that by 12,500. Take that percentage and multiply it by the 2,500 total Redlines. Take that number and divide it by 9 months of production, thats how many cars your dealer will get each month. Multiply that number by which place your are in line and you'll get an estimate of how many months you are out from beginning of production.

To figure out when you will get your car:
For example 40 allocations/12,500 total Skys=.0032, .0032x2500 total Redlines=8 cars, 9months/8 cars=1.125 month per car, 1.125x4th place in line=4.5 months out from beginning of full production. Or mid Jan for me if I'm in 4th place and if production starts in September.

So when is full production starting exactly???

1 - 20 of 32 Posts