Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is some info. over @ the Solstice site, but I don't recall that it went into any great detail to describe the cars that have been built there over the years. Can anyone shed any light on this? When was this plant built and for what platforms? Will this plant be the first to build three different badges under the same roof? I wonder how that is done? Does each division have it's own people put the different cars together, or are they "plant" people with a common goal? Seems like the latter is the only way that they could possibly be efficient in producing a quality product.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The Wilmington plant was built in 1946. The first car to roll off the line was a 1947 Pontiac. There is a restored one on the property. I'm not sure what cars they built after that Pontiac until the late 70's when they built a GM "B" car. After that came the Chevrolet Chevette and Pontiac T1000. These were GM's answer to high MPG cars. In 1986 they started building the Chevy Corsica and Beretta. There run ended in August 1996. In 1994 GM announced that the Wilmington Assembly Plant was slated to close. The workforce pulled together and showed GM that this would be a mistake and eventually the plant was taken off the closing list (the only one in GM history to do this). From 1997-1999, the Epsilon Platform started. The Chevy Malibu was built - but only as an overflow plant. From 2000-2005 the Saturn "L" series was built there. Then in the fall of 2005 the Kappa platform was introduced. The Pontiac Solstice was started. Pontiacs and Saturn's will be built on the same line. The Opel hasn't arrived yet. There is no separate work force for each car division. If you put Solstice wheels on, you will put Sky wheels on. Hope this helps answer your questions.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
bob said:
The Wilmington plant was built in 1946. The first car to roll off the line was a 1947 Pontiac. There is a restored one on the property. I'm not sure what cars they built after that Pontiac until the late 70's when they built a GM "B" car. After that came the Chevrolet Chevette and Pontiac T1000. These were GM's answer to high MPG cars. In 1986 they started building the Chevy Corsica and Beretta. There run ended in August 1996. In 1994 GM announced that the Wilmington Assembly Plant was slated to close. The workforce pulled together and showed GM that this would be a mistake and eventually the plant was taken off the closing list (the only one in GM history to do this). From 1997-1999, the Epsilon Platform started. The Chevy Malibu was built - but only as an overflow plant. From 2000-2005 the Saturn "L" series was built there. Then in the fall of 2005 the Kappa platform was introduced. The Pontiac Solstice was started. Pontiacs and Saturn's will be built on the same line. The Opel hasn't arrived yet. There is no separate work force for each car division. If you put Solstice wheels on, you will put Sky wheels on. Hope this helps answer your questions.
I have an '04 L300.3, it is a great car and very sound, good construction, so I expect the SKY to be real well constructed.

ERNEST
67U/025/PCH/PD5/D52/US9/G80

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
Ernest said:
I have an '04 L300.3, it is a great car and very sound, good construction, so I expect the SKY to be real well constructed.
I have an '03 L200. I'm buying a Sky anyway.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bob said:
... Hope this helps answer your questions.
Very much so, thanks!:thumbs: One thing though, Will this the first GM plant to assemble three badges under one roof?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Chip said:
Very much so, thanks!:thumbs: One thing though, Will this the first GM plant to assemble three badges under one roof?
No, Lansing Car Assembly had Buick Skylark, Oldsmobile Calais, and Pontiac Grand Am, and eventually had Oldsmobile Alero, Pontiac Grand Am, and Chevy Malibu.

There were two assembly lines at Lansing - and the volume of the different "N" cars tended to move between the two lines.

I think that Lordstown also made Buick Skyhawks, Chevy Cavaliers, Pontiac Sunbirds AND Cadillac Cimmarons - all on the same line. Maybe Leeds also had multiple nameplates, with the Olds Firenza (remember that one?) and the Chevy and Pontiac versions of the car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts