Saturn Sky Forum banner

The MAX you'd be willing to pay for a Loaded Sky Redline

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought this would be an interesting poll.

It's hypothetical, so put yourself in this situation:

You've decided to buy a Sky Redline. This vehicle is loaded, the total premium package that's available, plus some.

It's got a (fill in your preference)-charged engine, a smokin' (under 6 seconds) 0-60, chrome wheels, the works. Special tires, ABS, active handling, a hi-perf suspension package, the stuff that floats your boat.

Lets say, though, that the following are just not available (because it seems like this is so from available information)
-No heated or adjustable seats
-No powered top, removable hard top, fixed top - just the manual cloth convertible top.

You've talked to the dealership in trying to negotiate a price. But everyone has a price in mind that they will never really go above, under any circumstances - the "just below walk-away-from-it" price. This is a poll of the MAX you'd be willing to pay for a loaded, hypothetical Sky Redline.

DISCLAIMER: this is a non-scientific poll. It's just for fun, but do try to be honest - don't just pick the highest or lowest price. Remember, if you pick too low a price, the dealership can walk-away too, or GM can decide they can't profit from it and just not build it. If you pick too high a price, since this is funny money it will skew the results, resulting in it not getting built again (think of it as the GTO effect - thinking that everyone will pay more than they really will).

We've heard the "PLEASE GM BUILD IT I PROMISE THERE ARE CUSTOMERS OUT HERE THAT WILL BUY ONE." Let's see what they might actually go for.

One final thing: this is the price of the car, not including Taxes/Title/Liscense. Keep that in mind too.

·
Registered
432 Posts
well, there would have to be a gray area based on how they built the forced induction, but assuming that the upgrades were mainly F/I, minor cosmetic changes, exhaust, and brakes.... id say that it would be fair for the MSRP to be $30-32k. but as you said, it would need to be genuine perfomance. i wouldnt pay the added premium for just a generic turbo strapped on with 3psi. for $30-32k, i would expect it to be well engineered. i also wouldnt pay that much if they decided to use the 2.0L engine. but for a well engineered, 2.2L or 2.4L or higher F/I engine, i would pay $30-32k.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I would pay $28,000.00 but it has to be a real screamer, at least 300HP or more other wise I can pickup a use Vette, 350Z, maybe and old Viper for this price, not to mentioned an after market turbo kit etc...

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am with both of you all the way. I don't want them to just throw some stuff on there for a 30-40 hp gain, I want something that will really moves. The 3.6L V6 would be awesome and dual exhaust. But if they price it over $30k I would probably spend a little more and get a used M3, I love those cars.

·
Registered
149 Posts
LatinVenom said:
I would pay $28,000.00 but it has to be a real screamer, at least 300HP or more other wise I can pickup a use Vette, 350Z, maybe and old Viper for this price, not to mentioned an after market turbo kit etc...
You and I agree again.This is my major dilemma. I may be forced into the Solstice or the 04 ZO6 if they pricepoint the Sky "in the Sky." I want a Kappa, but for the time being I will let the first Solstice owners be the Bata testors. If there are any early problems maybe they will be sorted out by the time the Sky is launched. Pricepoint is critical for me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
it's hard for me to answer because i have to base it on those prices at the exchange rate - however, given that the canadian market is much more price sensitive then the US, I'm hoping that the Sky RL will be less then the USD x Exchange Rate.

However, just FYI:

MSM in US - $26, 340USD (@ rate, $32, 468)
MSM in Canada - $34, 395CDN (@ rate, $27, 582)

kris

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Since I can't vote I'll say what I want till I can. :D
Since the base Sky will cost "below $25,000" I expect the fully loaded model to come in at about $27,000 with the extra options. So unfortunately I'm betting a fully loaded Sky RL would run really close to $30,000 and the base Sky RL to run close to $28,000 unfortunately.

All the other forced induction GM cars seem to in general add at least $2,000 to the price of the model below it. Some even add close to $7000 to the price compared to the model below it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
brentil said:
Since I can't vote I'll say what I want till I can. :D
Since the base Sky will cost "below $25,000" I expect the fully loaded model to come in at about $27,000 with the extra options. So unfortunately I'm betting a fully loaded Sky RL would run really close to $30,000 and the base Sky RL to run close to $28,000 unfortunately.

All the other forced induction GM cars seem to in general add at least $2,000 to the price of the model below it. Some even add close to $7000 to the price compared to the model below it.
see, you followed the same logic i did. i know that a fully loaded one will have to be close to $30. but i would need it to be much more powerful than the base sky. just because they can cross the 200 hp mark doesnt mean they have accomplished the impossible. what they need to set as their goal is to cross the 300 mark. thats what this car needs, and for that, i would pay the money to get the redline, even $30-32k.

·
Registered
36 Posts
swatthefly said:
see, you followed the same logic i did. i know that a fully loaded one will have to be close to $30. but i would need it to be much more powerful than the base sky. just because they can cross the 200 hp mark doesnt mean they have accomplished the impossible. what they need to set as their goal is to cross the 300 mark. thats what this car needs, and for that, i would pay the money to get the redline, even $30-32k.
but do you think that they'll do that? with a car this size and that much power, you're walking into territory that GM doesn't want them to be in

·
Registered
432 Posts
why wouldnt they? if i can go buy a nissan sentra, and be faster than a supercharged sky, what market is that? they need to have their performance line actually PERFORM! 200 hp wont be sufficient. 250hp maybe, but they need to set their sights on 275-300hp. thats what this car needs. and if they cant do it in a redline, then im doing it myself.

·
Registered
245 Posts
swatthefly said:
why wouldnt they? if i can go buy a nissan sentra, and be faster than a supercharged sky, what market is that? they need to have their performance line actually PERFORM! 200 hp wont be sufficient. 250hp maybe, but they need to set their sights on 275-300hp. thats what this car needs. and if they cant do it in a redline, then im doing it myself.
Damn rights! I don't care what HP the Redline is at when I buy it, it's going UP!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Aren't they saying the Solstice SS will have around 240? Hopefully they don't think that with the Sky being more "upscale" than the solstice the performance version won't need as much power. I think they will get it right though and it will put out at least 250. I hope it won't cost more than $30K though because then I won't be able to get my MV Agusta F4.

·
Registered
432 Posts
250hp... so long as they keep the displacement up there, ill be ok with that. i might just have to swap out some parts and stuff, but when they lower the displacement, thats where you run into problems. keep the engine big, saturn! V8 baby! think V8! :cool:

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm so glad I don't care about engine size :D I can add more extra's that really matter to me rather than how fast the car goes. I will use this car for everyday driving, lets face it folks the insurance on a convertible is going to be more expensive. I don't need speeding tickets to go along with the added increased insurance premium. As long as I look good in the car who cares about the engine size :cool:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Pammysoltice said:
I'm so glad I don't care about engine size :D I can add more extra's that really matter to me rather than how fast the car goes. I will use this car for everyday driving, lets face it folks the insurance on a convertible is going to be more expensive. I don't need speeding tickets to go along with the added increased insurance premium. As long as I look good in the car who cares about the engine size :cool:
pammy, i kinda get the vibe that you would be better off with a fully loaded sky, but the redline version may not interest you. and i must say, the sky is going to turn heads, so i applaude your desicion!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Pammysoltice said:
As long as I look good in the car who cares about the engine size :cool:
Those of us who like to blurt out "Yeah, you like the look of those taillights, don't ya!?" while looking cool at the same time :D Although, I'm just a young, stupid, 18 year old driver, so what do I know, right? :confused: (lol, I love using that excuse :D)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Vita said:
but do you think that they'll do that? with a car this size and that much power, you're walking into territory that GM doesn't want them to be in
I agree that GM doesn't want this car to get into the territory where sales get siphoned from the 5 second Cadillac or the C6. As planned now, I believe, both base models of domestic Kappa will use same engine. The export Opel could have something totally different under the hood, maybe turbo Diesel :D I would just guess that if we see a power upgrade that one of two things will happen. Both Solstice and Saturn will have same upgrade to keep cost down, or Solstice will get a traditional power boost ala GM, boosted or oversize engine and Saturn will instead get a Honda engine (from the S2K? which is already bumping heads with GTO on track times!)

·
Registered
432 Posts
achieftain said:
Both Solstice and Saturn will have same upgrade to keep cost down, or Solstice will get a traditional power boost ala GM, boosted or oversize engine and Saturn will instead get a Honda engine (from the S2K? which is already bumping heads with GTO on track times!)
do you really think saturn will end up with a honda engine? i have no idea how they would pull that off in PR. i didnt think honda had that kinda relations with GM. if they do that however, that would be a 2.2L 4 in the engine, and thats a decent amount of displacement, the only downside being that we wouldnt have any power or torque until 7000 rmp. but the upside to that would be... aftermarket parts!!!! woohoo!!! i cant tell you how excited i would be to have that honda engine in the sky. but theres no way i can get my hopes up, because i just dont see how they could do it.

achieftain said:
I agree that GM doesn't want this car to get into the territory where sales get siphoned from the 5 second Cadillac or the C6. As planned now, I believe, both base models of domestic Kappa will use same engine.
if they dont step up to the plate here, they will be losing a lot of their sales to the s2000 and the miata, maybe even the 350z, or the bmw roadster. i think they should bite the bullet and be happy that their sales stay in GM instead of off and away.

·
Registered
432 Posts
achieftain said:
I agree that GM doesn't want this car to get into the territory where sales get siphoned from the 5 second Cadillac or the C6. ....which is already bumping heads with GTO on track times!
i just thought about this, they let pontiac have the gto. you dont think that would steal sales away from these two?

the sky will be in a totally different price range from the corvette and the XLR. i dont think they have anything to worry. heck, maybe the richer buyers wont be able to decide and buy both!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts