Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, any suggestions or comments on a new exhaust for Sky Redline. I would like something with a muffler and not straight through pipes. I have the Hi Flow Cat already. Are there any major performance differences between Solo's Mach Shorty versus the MagnaFlow 3" model 16761? Any help or comments are appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Can't give you specific parameters, but I have learned from those individuals that are on this forum and are very knowledgeable about adding horsepower to the SKY (all Kappas) usually say there is no need to go to the 3" exhaust unless you are going to go up in horsepower features later. I'm sorry I don't know those specifics, but those individuals will undoubtedly chime-in here of what the specifics are for where you would want to go to the 3" exhaust. I believe I might recall that the 3" exhaust was mentioned to take away a little horsepower in some instances without upward HP plans. :willy:

·
4,973 Posts
This doesn't answer your question, but it is pertinent. Do you have a tune? Without one you aren't going to see any performance gains from, well, anything.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JohnWR - yes I have had a remote tune. The Solo Mach Shorty looks like it fits better underneath the car as opposed to the MagnaFlow system.

·
Premium Member
5,102 Posts
Your not going to gain much from the exhaust. You have the high flow cat you should be good with either. But I think I have heard that the Shorty is considerably noisier than the magna flow. But too noisey is for the individual to decide on. Solo is a supporting vendor to our cars. They donate a lot of stuff for different events. I would have went with them if I had known about them before. But I have no complaints with my Magnaflow system.

·
Super Moderator
11,042 Posts
Most folks here have covered your question.

I'll add that I've owned all three MagnaFlow exhausts for our cars. I currently run the 3" and once my new build is installed, the HP level I'll be at (450-500 wheel) would warrant a 3". If you're not at or over 400 whp, the 2.5" is fine and there will be no gains from going to a 3".

Any performance difference between the Solo or MagnaFlow systems will be minor so really sound is your biggest factor. I installed my MagnaFlow 3" system (and MagnaFlow built the 2.5" system on my first car) and I can say installation and fitment isn't an issue. Went in easily and without issues.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
We concluded that there was no benefit to power unless you were fitting a bigger turbo and even then not much.

FYI IIRC the Magnaflow isn't/wasn't a true 3" as it necked down at the connection point to the CAT anyway.

The Solo Mach is a real quality system, sounds nice and lasts well - go for that if you can afford it. As for sound, I can't tell you the difference between the Mach and the Mach Shorty - didn't want to risk the latter in my coupe, as they have a drone problem (the coupes, not the exhausts).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts