Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bit the bullet last week and install the Solo Performance Exhaust along with a high flow cat. This complements the Stage II tune I had done early this year from RPM MotorSports. Yes, it is louder but surprisingly not all that much, less so than a piped HarleyD. Yes, it has a more throbbing deeper tone, and although not sounding like a V8 it does have a different distinction than before brought on (I guess) by the earlier separation of the pipes. The replacement of stock to Solo took under 2 hours. The Solo pipes are beautifully made and are almost a snap in fit. Yes, it seems to pick up quicker but that could just be me. The learned ones amongst us can add flavor and comment otherwise. Weight of the OEM cat back system = approx. 51 lbs. Weight of the Solo performance cat back system = approx. 30lbs. Next week I plan to put the vehicle through the twisties to the “hill country”. Right now, I’m very happy with the swap.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Is your car an NA or a Redline? Either way, negligible added power from the exhaust system (the CAT OTOH gives more potential on the turbo cars with a tune).

Solo does very good quality systems and they do sound very nice.

If you value handling, there are a lot of mods you can do to improve the stock handling on the car - you should research that next!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is your car an NA or a Redline? Either way, negligible added power from the exhaust system (the CAT OTOH gives more potential on the turbo cars with a tune).

Solo does very good quality systems and they do sound very nice.

If you value handling, there are a lot of mods you can do to improve the stock handling on the car - you should research that next!
The vehicle is a RedLine, with a stage II tune from RPM MotorSports. You’re right about the shocks. It’s next on my list.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Ah, OK. If you have a tune, there is a chance that you may pick up a little power as most exhausts neck down to 2 3/4" at the flange while Solo makes them a full 3" - but that helps only if they are that diameter upstream as well. Suggest a high flow CAT from Solo + a tune if you want a but more power.

Better shocks, sway bars and some chassis stiffeners can transform the handling (although most drivers are happy with stock suspension).

Info on my own modification path at Coupe 378 - Mod Thread

Reactions: The_Ghost

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, OK. If you have a tune, there is a chance that you may pick up a little power as most exhausts neck down to 2 3/4" at the flange while Solo makes them a full 3" - but that helps only if they are that diameter upstream as well. Suggest a high flow CAT from Solo + a tune if you want a but more power.

Better shocks, sway bars and some chassis stiffeners can transform the handling (although most drivers are happy with stock suspension).

Info on my own modification path at Coupe 378 - Mod Thread
Just read your Coupe 378 thread and the history. The MGA sounds like a lot of fun. That is an awesome GXP!! BTW, I'm Aussie however, I have lived/worked in Toronto and Vancouver. Wonderful country ~ Canada. When I lived there I had a Austin Healy BJ8, and a MGB which I stuffed a Buick 215ci V8 into it, and then tuned it. Later, I purchased a DeTomaso Pantera, that was such a wonderfully insane vehicle. Over the years I have had to get rid of all of them due to divorces :)

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I suspect that I would have experienced a divorce as well, had I bought any more sports car than I did. Still have the MGA race car after 50 years,,,,,

Reactions: AndInConclusion

·
Registered
156 Posts
Just read your Coupe 378 thread and the history. The MGA sounds like a lot of fun. That is an awesome GXP!! BTW, I'm Aussie however, I have lived/worked in Toronto and Vancouver. Wonderful country ~ Canada. When I lived there I had a Austin Healy BJ8, and a MGB which I stuffed a Buick 215ci V8 into it, and then tuned it. Later, I purchased a DeTomaso Pantera, that was such a wonderfully insane vehicle. Over the years I have had to get rid of all of them due to divorces :)
Interesting story about your Pantera, my dad brought home an Excalibur and had to trade it for a Pantera to avoid getting a divorce. At the time mom didn’t like convertibles. She wasn’t too happy with me either, when my first car was a 1968 GTO convertible....

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
The stock suspension is fine for most cases. There are adjustable coil overs that allow you to corner balance, change the spring height and ride height. They offer a firmer ride along with lots of adjustability in damping rates

1 - 11 of 11 Posts