Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sadly it has been raining ALOT here.. And couldn't take it out for a spin..

First Impressions now that I finally took a good look at it.. It is a really nice car. It looks alot better in person than the pictures do it justice. The Sky has always looked awesome in photos and in person but the Solstice needed to be seen in person to really appreciate.

I still prefer the Sky because of the more sharp lines but I have alot more respect for the Solstice now that I have seen it.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Just my opinion and not meant to hurt anyone. Of all the small two seaters the best looking in order Sky, s2000, solstice, bmw, miata. any others?

·
Registered
18,029 Posts
my choice after the sky would have been the miata...the new MX5...cannot say a bad thing about it...except it doesn't look like our BABIES

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm kinda partial to the Audi TT Roadster. The Miata was a favorite when it came out in '89 or '90.

R

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Id have to say my ranking would be...

Sky, Audi TT, Lexus SC430, Cadillac XLR, Solstice, Volvo's new Covertible, Mustang Convertible

·
Registered
727 Posts
Solstice ranks first on my list, with the Sky a close second. I certainly wouldn't throw either one out of my garage. After the Sky, I'd say the new SLK would be third, followed by the Crossfire, S2000, and TT. I am not a big fan of the Z4 although it has grown on me a lot. I am also not very partial to the MX-5 (and I always liked Miatas). It looks fine from all angles but the front to me. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not trying to say the volvo isn't a good car overall, but I think volvo's are a joke.. I saw an S60R with a sticker of above $47k and only 300hp... It may be a nice car and all, but it looked like it belonged in the 90s and it needed to be about $5-10k cheaper...

J M H O :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry guys...but if money is no object the Mercedes Roadster is miles above any of the others!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mercedes has gone way down in quality even before DC was in the picture.. For some reason I have always prefered BMW to Mercedes..

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Would have to have the Corvette on the top of my list. I would be getting a new one, but the wife says there is a law of only one per family and I have a '71 ragtop. So the Sky is a good second choice.:lol:

·
Super Moderator
11,445 Posts
My question is what defines a roadster?

To me, a Vette isn't a roadster. I mean, if it is, the little red head from Italy with a prancing horse takes my vote. But to me there is a definate line where roadsters end and sports cars begin...and the Vette is over that line...and the Viper, another favorite of mine.

To me a Roadster is small. It doesn't always have a TON of power but it should handle spectacularly. Also a roadster should be front engine rear wheel drive. To me, when I think roadster I think MG, Miata, Z3, and a handful of others. Also I think of roadsters being low to mid range in pricing. Thus while the Cadillac XLS (I think that's what it is...too many letter cars in that lineup...its the one with the LS7 in it) would probably be roadster material the price point would take it right out.

Also, to me a true roadster would not have a fixed hard top counterpart. This is why I don't think of the 350Z as a "roadster". For instance, the most recent Thunderbird to me would be a roadster. The original Corvette a roadster. But not a convertable Mustang.

Which leads me to one last criteria for roadster...2 seats. No more.

So when it comes to roadsters of the modern era, the Sky/Solstice top my list. Miata comes in right behind them. After that the BMW gang followed by some of the more rare roadsters. For Roadsters past, I'd have to put the Cobra at the top of the list followed by the original Corvettes and the British MGs.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Robotech said:
My question is what defines a roadster?

To me, a Vette isn't a roadster. I mean, if it is, the little red head from Italy with a prancing horse takes my vote. But to me there is a definate line where roadsters end and sports cars begin...and the Vette is over that line...and the Viper, another favorite of mine.

To me a Roadster is small. It doesn't always have a TON of power but it should handle spectacularly. Also a roadster should be front engine rear wheel drive. To me, when I think roadster I think MG, Miata, Z3, and a handful of others. Also I think of roadsters being low to mid range in pricing. Thus while the Cadillac XLS (I think that's what it is...too many letter cars in that lineup...its the one with the LS7 in it) would probably be roadster material the price point would take it right out.

Also, to me a true roadster would not have a fixed hard top counterpart. This is why I don't think of the 350Z as a "roadster". For instance, the most recent Thunderbird to me would be a roadster. The original Corvette a roadster. But not a convertable Mustang.

Which leads me to one last criteria for roadster...2 seats. No more.

So when it comes to roadsters of the modern era, the Sky/Solstice top my list. Miata comes in right behind them. After that the BMW gang followed by some of the more rare roadsters. For Roadsters past, I'd have to put the Cobra at the top of the list followed by the original Corvettes and the British MGs.
When i put cars in order of what I liked I was talking about small roadsters, which to me mean small 2 seater convertibles. I have a viper and didnt include it in the list because I dont consider it a small roadster.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the XLR has a Northstar the only vehicle with the LS7 production is the Z06.. for now :)

The Lotus Elise is not in the same price range, but it is definately a roadster :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts