Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody out there actually put a set of Solstice mud flaps on their Sky yet? I ordered them for my Sky & they just came in, and they look like they might hang too low for the Sky. Is the shape of the wheel well that much different?
Hoping for some feedback from someone who has actually done this, that it worked out well for them.
As always this is forum has always been a great source of info. Thanks for any help/advice in advance.:)

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
I remember a post from one of the guys who received his Sky. He said he had the Sky mud flaps installed and found them to be to small. He noted that he though they were just general Saturn mud flaps.

He had them removed and the Solstice ones put on. Said they were bigger. He also noted that they had to drill new holes to install them.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Somewhere there was a post with a picture of the Solstice mudflaps on the Sky. I thought they looked too big for the Sky.

·
Registered
804 Posts
The Sol and Sky are different wheel wells and shapes. The Sol flaps will work if modified, but they are not designed to work on the Sky. I would hold out for the Sky flaps so they actually fit correctly.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
IslandHopper said:
Get the ones that fit, you'll be much happier. No extra drilling required:thumbs:
I ordered the ones to fit the Sky.. they looked aweful they had a large gap between the finder and the flap in places, I didn;t accept them

·
Registered
308 Posts
Solstice Flap Pictures on Sky

WGH posted a thread with pictures on 3/27, on this General Saturn Sky discussion. Should still be there.
Once again, it's a matter of personal preference as to which look better.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had the Solstice mud flaps installed on mine based on WGH's post and pics. The SKY mud flaps didn't appear to provide as much protection as the Solstice ones. I'm very pleased with mine and I don't think they look bad at all. I'd post some pics, but I'm having trouble with the digital camera.

Initially, the service man said there would be a gap between the body and the mud flap on the front ones and that the rear ones didn't have a spot to connect each spot. The rear Solstice ones didn't appear to fit at first, but the service man worked a little magic and both the front and rear fit great without gaps. I like them. I live on a dirt road and the amount of protection was a huge requirement for me. Good luck.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I purchased the Solstice mud flaps and they are at the Saturn dealership to be installed when they prep my Sky. I hoping that I didn't make a mistake in getting them. We tend to get mixed reviews here when it comes to the fit. Someone please set me straight one way or another. I'll eat the $100.00 if they don't fit well but need to know soon. Next week my Sky should arrive at the dealership and I have time to prevent them from being installed.
Jayne

·
Registered
262 Posts
ozyman222 said:
Has anybody out there actually put a set of Solstice mud flaps on their Sky yet? I ordered them for my Sky & they just came in, and they look like they might hang too low for the Sky. Is the shape of the wheel well that much different?
Hoping for some feedback from someone who has actually done this, that it worked out well for them.
As always this is forum has always been a great source of info. Thanks for any help/advice in advance.:)
I bought both, SKY and Soltice mudflaps. I dry fitted them on a SKY that the dealer just got in, (not mine). In my oppinion, the Soltice mudflaps, while they do fit, (sort of) are too big for the SKY. I believe that the first speed bump you go over will take out the Soltice mudflaps if they are mounted on the front of the SKY. They hang down a little too much.

If you put the Soltice mudflaps on the rear, when you make the side conture match as best as it can with the car (which is pretty good), you end up with the bottom of the mudflap at a slight angle, not level with the car, but higher on the inside when standing behind the car looking forward.

I think that I will go with the SKY ones for now. If I don't get the protection that I am looking for, I'll try something else, Soltice again or 3M clear bra.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Your actual wheel travel is more than the solstice so the clearance at the minimum during driving is less than the Solstice so yes they could rip off over a bump...if this has been stated sorry :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Changed My Mind

I just called the dealership and asked them to order me the Sky mud flaps and not to install the Solstice ones I took to the dealership. I'll keep those around in case the Saturn ones are inadequate to protect my Baby. Thanks to everyone for the information. This is a great place to be.
Jayne

1 - 12 of 12 Posts