Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I modeled and 3D printed some replacement parts for my Solstice and later found that many others had the same issue (Broken Cup Holder Arm).

So I started offering these for sale on the solstice forums, but figured I would expand and offer them to a wider audience.

I only print them in PETG. I know some would prefer ABS, and I have some in ABS, but they warp too much for me to be comfortable selling them. I want to make sure you guys get a part that fits.
I print them with 100% infill, slow, and hot for durability. Although the original design doesn't leave room for much reengineering to make it stronger. PETG is known for being fairly flexable, and so far mine have held up well.

PETG doesnt vapor smooth as it is very chemical resistant. So you will see some layer lines but they are fairly faint at .2mm.
In the images you can see the top and sides are pretty smooth. The bottom requires support material and is rougher.

I currently sell the arm and the bottom cover/retainer.

You can see the assembly instructions in my Youtube Videos.
https://youtu.be/YAyV7TRZIpU

https://youtu.be/IYAd5Gi_HTg

To order the parts, you can PM me on here, or email my wife at [email protected]. She is handling all of the logistics. I just model and print. Either way we will send a PayPal invoice.

Pricing
Arm - $15 Domestic $20 Canada
Cover - $10 Domestic $15 Canada

I will combine shipping for multiples.

If you would rather go thru eBay I have them listed on there also, but they are a bit more expensive as they take an additional cut.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/332375415417?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/332375419158?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
I can attest that these are nice parts that work well. I have installed a couple and was very happy with the result. They fit well and operate like the original part. And I do mine in COLOR LOL.

·
Super Moderator
11,617 Posts
I modeled and 3D printed some replacement parts for my Solstice and later found that many others had the same issue (Broken Cup Holder Arm).

So I started offering these for sale on the solstice forums, but figured I would expand and offer them to a wider audience.

I only print them in PETG. I know some would prefer ABS, and I have some in ABS, but they warp too much for me to be comfortable selling them. I want to make sure you guys get a part that fits.
I print them with 100% infill, slow, and hot for durability. Although the original design doesn't leave room for much reengineering to make it stronger. PETG is known for being fairly flexable, and so far mine have held up well.

PETG doesnt vapor smooth as it is very chemical resistant. So you will see some layer lines but they are fairly faint at .2mm.
In the images you can see the top and sides are pretty smooth. The bottom requires support material and is rougher.

I currently sell the arm and the bottom cover/retainer.

You can see the assembly instructions in my Youtube Videos.
https://youtu.be/YAyV7TRZIpU

https://youtu.be/IYAd5Gi_HTg

To order the parts, you can PM me on here, or email my wife at [email protected]. She is handling all of the logistics. I just model and print. Either way we will send a PayPal invoice.

Pricing
Arm - $15 Domestic $20 Canada
Cover - $10 Domestic $15 Canada

I will combine shipping for multiples.

If you would rather go thru eBay I have them listed on there also, but they are a bit more expensive as they take an additional cut.

Pontiac Solstice / Saturn Sky Cupholder Replacement Arm | eBay

Pontiac Solstice / Saturn Sky Cupholder Replacement Bottom Cover | eBay
Thanks for posting this here. I know this is something in dire need in the community. Mine is good so far but it is just a question of time.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Maybe it was on the other post, the video on how to remove and disassemble the cup holder device. Somehow, someone had forced my cup holder in about an inch on both ends. After pushing in several directions, I did get it in position to remove entirely from the console. In the process the half-circle piece did come completely off. It does NOT appear that it has broken away, but that is my opinion.

Next, per the video, I attempted taking the three screws out of the bottom side. Two screws would come out, but the third would NOT give up the chase. It appears the screws are Phillips heads; however, I wasn't exactly sure. Let me know if a different bit needs to be used.

Of course until I can get the assembly apart, it is uncertain what piece is needed NOR certain a fix is possible until the unit comes apart.

Riven02, any ideas on what I'm up against?

One comment, as delicate as these little guys are and out of the sight of the driver can occur, I've coached my wife to not use it. However, suspicions are I failed to counsel one of my buddies and possibly why I found it pushed completely into the console. Other than not being able to disassemble the unit, it appears the half circle piece may be OK, but just became unattached. ??? Maybe some penetrating oil would convince that screw to give up the hunt. LOL :willy:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They should be torx tip screws unless someone has got ahold of it before.
The metal they screw into is some really soft cast stuff. I am surprised it could be very tight without stripping.

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
If the cup holder assembly is intact you can slide the retracting portion back into the sliding slot, then move the pins into their track in the body of the cartridge. I have replaced them on several cars and they can be returned to service with a little effort. Take a flashlight and look into the main body of the assembly and you will see two tracks molded into the top and bottom. The pins engage with these tracks. With care you can reinstall it and make it work just fine. You don't need to disassemble the holder.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
If the cup holder assembly is intact you can slide the retracting portion back into the sliding slot, then move the pins into their track in the body of the cartridge. I have replaced them on several cars and they can be returned to service with a little effort. Take a flashlight and look into the main body of the assembly and you will see two tracks molded into the top and bottom. The pins engage with these tracks. With care you can reinstall it and make it work just fine. You don't need to disassemble the holder.
Rob, thanks for the info. I'm away from the car just now, so later in the week I'll look into your suggestion. Thx.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have not had my hands on a sky but I am told they work the same way. I did have one guy tell me that when he pushed his in, it went in on both sides and he couldnt pull it out. He removed his shift boot to push it out.

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
All cars from 06 through 08 are identical. Sky and Solstice. Same cup holder, same mounting. The 09 cup holder design was changed to add a tang on the end of the curved articulating arm to prevent over travel and the body of the cup holder had a tang added for a mounting screw. the 09 design retains the body inside the forward console with this screw so it theoretically will not be pushed into the console. If you need to remove an 09 cup holder you need to pull up the shift boot to get access to this screw.

The part that Riven is making is based on the earlier design but should fit into the 09 version if you need one. It just will not have the tang on the end.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I heard back from a guy with an 09 today and can confirm it fit. Like you said it is missing the tang.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I didn't realize that anyone actually uses that cup holder. The couple times I tried using it the cup fell out as soon as I made my first turn. I gave up on it pretty quickly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It is a sad excuse for a cup holder that only holds small cups but I do use mine daily as a cell phone holder.

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
We have used ours as a cup holder since the beginning. It holds water bottles and regular sized drinks fine for us.

The issue is it takes up knee space on the right side.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I recently replaced my holder assembly but kept the old one. I'll order the part from you and fix it as a spare.

Say, the rear cup holder in my ex's 2007 broke at the bottom part. The "T" shaped piece that moves down to support the bottom of the cups came out completely. Figured someday I'd buy a 3D scanner and printer and make a new one. Can you tackle this too?

·
Registered
402 Posts
I tried to push mine in and turn it to pull it out so I can put it back in flush....
It wont push in like the video on my 2007 Base Sky

Are you sure it removes the same on the SKY's?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts